The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-15-2022, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Merging Hapi, Lynx Aurora (n), or Metric Halo interface?

With the equipment I currently have I end up with a lot of external gear cabled together when I do field recordings, and I have at most 7 preamps channels.

Currently I have a Motu Ultralite AVB, a Motu 8D, 4 channels of Mytek ADC, and 5 channels of external preamps. This gear works great for stereo recording of guitar, but a pain to haul in and set up when I need 6+ channels.

I'm considering getting an interface with 8 preamps / ADC, running on Windows. Also need at least 4 channels of AES in (when I add external preamps and ADC) and 4 channels of AES out, a nice headphone amp, and some DSP (mainly E/Q for headphones, HPF, and compressor).

At this point, the Merging Hapi or Lynx Aurora (n)seem to best fit what I'd like. Anyone have any experience with these?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 04-14-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

... deleted ...

Last edited by ChuckS; 03-24-2022 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
With the equipment I currently have I end up with a lot of external gear cabled together when I do field recordings, and I have at most 7 preamps channels.

Currently I have a Motu Ultralite AVB, a Motu 8D, 4 channels of Mytek ADC, and 5 channels of external preamps. This gear works great for stereo recording of guitar, but a pain to haul in and set up when I need 6+ channels.

I'm considering getting an interface with 8 preamps / ADC, running on Windows. Also need at least 4 channels of AES in (when I add external preamps and ADC) and 4 channels of AES out, a nice headphone amp, and some DSP (mainly E/Q for headphones, HPF, and compressor).

At this point, the Merging Hapi and Lynx Aurora (n)seem to best fit what I'd like. Anyone have any experience with these?
Chuck I have looked at this several times but I am guessing no one here is familiar with Merging Hapi ( I had not even heard of it until your post) let alone paired with a Lynx Aurora..
My suggestion would be to call Vintage King as they sell both Merging and Lynx

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-31-2022, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Chuck I have looked at this several times but I am guessing no one here is familiar with Merging Hapi ( I had not even heard of it until your post) let alone paired with a Lynx Aurora..
My suggestion would be to call Vintage King as they sell both Merging and Lynx
There’s a bit of miscommunication; I was looking at either the Merging Hapi or the Lynx Aurora (n), not used together. Thanks for the response.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Metric Halo ULN-8

My recording setup runs on Windows, so that was one of my criteria for an interface upgrade. However, I found a used Metric Halo ULN-8 3D, which is primarily a Mac based interface, that seemed like a great fit otherwise. The ULN-8 can work as a "dumb interface" to Windows USB and it has recallable configuration states via the front panel, so I'm configuring it with an old Mac Mini then using it with my Windows setup for field recordings. I plan on using it for a choir / instrumental acccompaniment recording in a couple weeks.

Metric Halo is planning on releasing Windows drivers in the future, so hopefully my work around is temporary.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD