The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-07-2022, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the report. I am almost tempted to take my Emerald and CA GX along for a comparison test some day.

As for the hybrid, I agree that initially it doesn't seem to make as much sense to make a CF instrument but still have a wood neck. But the nice thing about the hybrid design (I have the hybrid uke) is that it gets you a CF body at a MUCH lower price point. With the guitars it's like $1200 vs. $2000. True it's not impervious to humidity, but you'll never have to worry about the top splitting if it gets too dry, or cracking the side when it falls over. I don't bother keeping my hybrid Klos uke humidified and it's doing just fine with no fret sprout after several years.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
Thanks for the report. I am almost tempted to take my Emerald and CA GX along for a comparison test some day.

As for the hybrid, I agree that initially it doesn't seem to make as much sense to make a CF instrument but still have a wood neck. But the nice thing about the hybrid design (I have the hybrid uke) is that it gets you a CF body at a MUCH lower price point. With the guitars it's like $1200 vs. $2000. True it's not impervious to humidity, but you'll never have to worry about the top splitting if it gets too dry, or cracking the side when it falls over. I don't bother keeping my hybrid Klos uke humidified and it's doing just fine with no fret sprout after several years.
True enough about not having a wood body. However, I did have a wood fretboard crack. It was a Brazilian rosewood fretboard on a handmade guitar. Before I got it repaired, the fretboard had beautiful grain, but to hide the repair the fretboard was stained darker and it lost that look and became just like any ebony fretboard as far as looks go. So if I am going to have a CF guitar, I don't want it to have wood.

As I think about what I wrote regarding the size of the Klos, it is difficult to really make a definitive statement. To me, it felt smaller than my Huss & Dalton, but then that could also be because the Huss & Dalton is probably twice the depth of the Klos. The Klos is definitely smaller than my Taylor 912ce.

Also, the Klos has sharp edges where the top joins the body, just like most guitars built before rounding the edges became a thing. It has none of the ergonomics of the Emerald and in that respect, is like my McPhersons - the back to the sides is rounded, but not the sides to the top.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-07-2022, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

As one anecdotal point on the hybrid, I have left my travel hybrid on my boat for half a year with changes in temp (from our record highs of 114 in the summer to temps near freezing) and no real humidity control and then brought it back to my house recently. The hybrid neck on mine does have the carbon rods in addition to the truss rod.

Through all that the neck did not move significantly and it basically just stayed in tune. While it won't be as impervious as full carbon it does look like it is quite a bit more resilient than a regular all wood neck.

Last edited by Aspiring; 02-09-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Update to this thread. The above videos piqued my curiosity on the Klos full size.

I have the travel Klos already in a hybrid. Well, as (mis)fortune would have it last week I messed up while going to a Dr Appointment that is a 40 min drive for my house and arrived an hour early.

With time to kill I checked out a local guitar shop (thunder road guitars in West Seattle) that I had never been in. They have a modest size acoustic section mostly electric. Lo and behold on the acoustic section they have a Klos full size hybrid used.

Having never tried one I gave it a go. Have to say the above comments resonated with me. This one had a sound port in it which looks to me like it was installed afterwards like I did mine. Hard to tell but welcome anyway. It also has an aftermarket K&K instead of the stock pickup.

The weight is astonishingly light. They claim about 3 3/4 lbs on the website and I believe it. The tone is great. Mine had ej16s on it and the setup was overall quite good.

Short short I had an adventure carrying a carbon guitar in a gig bag home with me on a motorcycle.

I also find the spacing adequate for fingerstyle (even though the nut is labelled as narrower). At under 1k out the door I really consider this a bargain. Oh and the neck detaches easily for portability as well.

For those looking I would definitely consider the hybrid over the full carbon for the cost savings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber