The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-15-2021, 02:55 AM
Charter Member

The M1 Pro ... 240 tracks using unsupported plugins. That's just nuts!

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-15-2021, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The M1 Pro ... 240 tracks using unsupported plugins. That's just nuts!
Have to check out that video mine won't be here until Dec 10 or so and I should have ordered 2 weeks ago when I first really considered it as Apple lowered the trade in on Mac's last week I lost $40 trade in value well phooey

Here is more prognostication on a new iMac

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...eid=3af5b4ba3b

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-17-2021, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Just watched this last night more on possible new iMac and he thinks it will again be 27" BUT offer a new combined M1 Max DUO chip ?????

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 11-19-2021, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Some speculation on the larger iMac coming next year.

YouTube
Old 11-19-2021, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Some speculation on the larger iMac coming next year.
Interesting so we have different prognostications (will be interesting to see who ends up being correct )
This fellow appears to think that the new iMac Pro will top out with only the M1 Max chip for the high end which would top out @ 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine and 64 GB Unified memory

,,,Where as in the video prognostication I posted just above, Max Tech predicts that the base model 27 iMac Pro " will probably have the same options as as the MBP ........ BUT the top tier machine will have a new M1 Duo Max chip which could top out @ 20 core CPU , 64 core GPU , 32 core Neural Engine and 128 GB Unified memory

Time will tell. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-19-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Interesting so we have different prognostications (will be interesting to see who ends up being correct )
This fellow appears to think that the new iMac Pro will top out with only the M1 Max chip for the high end which would top out @ 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine and 64 GB Unified memory

,,,Where as in the video prognostication I posted just above, Max Tech predicts that the base model 27 iMac Pro " will probably have the same options as as the MBP ........ BUT the top tier machine will have a new M1 Duo Max chip which could top out @ 20 core CPU , 64 core GPU , 32 core Neural Engine and 128 GB Unified memory

Time will tell. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
As much as I'd like to see a 30" or 32" screen, I'd be okay if it remains 27" to keep the price down. My future setup will have mirrored monitors. One on the desk and another behind my keyboard midi-controller. I can have a bigger screen for mixing by putting the iMac behind the midi-controller and having the mirrored monitor on the mixing desk. Then I can go 32" or even bigger if I want.

YouTube
Old 11-20-2021, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As much as I'd like to see a 30" or 32" screen, I'd be okay if it remains 27" to keep the price down. My future setup will have mirrored monitors. One on the desk and another behind my keyboard midi-controller. I can have a bigger screen for mixing by putting the iMac behind the midi-controller and having the mirrored monitor on the mixing desk. Then I can go 32" or even bigger if I want.
I have to admit having used two screens since last December, it is one of those things that while not being at all necessary is something I really like and will most likely keep in my system usage going forward

Both of mine are 27" which for most of what I do is fine but I will run a quick test and see how many tracks I can fit on them . I will run the mix window in both regular and skinny and report back ...

OK so 30 full size mixer channels 48 narrow mixer channels on my 27" iMac screen at Default resolution

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-20-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I have to admit having used two screens since last December, it is one of those things that while not being at all necessary is something I really like and will most likely keep in my system usage going forward

Both of mine are 27" which for most of what I do is fine but I will run a quick test and see how many tracks I can fit on them . I will run the mix window in both regular and skinny and report back ...

OK so 30 full size mixer channels 48 narrow mixer channels on my 27" iMac screen at Default resolution
Huge fan of dual screens here. I'd suppose one of those super-wide monitors would suffice too, but dual screens has always worked out to be more cost effective for me. When working "in-the-box" I keep some track effects/patch bowsers open on a second screen. In some case I'm using visual indicators there to see what they are doing (compressors for example). Now that's controversial -- some say you should always mix/adjust by ear -- but I find it helpful in my way-busy "producer/composer/engineer/session musician" mixed roles.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-20-2021, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I suspect dual screens may be like a heated steering wheel in a car. Until you have it, you don't realize how much you'd miss it (I'd never buy a car without it at this point). I've never had dual screens so I don't know, but I'm thinking I could be fine with a wider screen for mixing and the smaller iMac screen for when I'm working at the keyboard.

In my current setup, space is limited so when I'm using the computer keyboard I'm always reaching over the top of my Hammer88 midi controller. I'm getting quite tired of that.

I'm thinking this DangerFox Genesis 24U desk would do nicely as a mixing/mastering desk. And I'd get a sidecar to house my preamps and patchbays.

YouTube
Old 11-20-2021, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Huge fan of dual screens here. I'd suppose one of those super-wide monitors would suffice too, but dual screens has always worked out to be more cost effective for me. When working "in-the-box" I keep some track effects/patch bowsers open on a second screen. In some case I'm using visual indicators there to see what they are doing (compressors for example). Now that's controversial -- some say you should always mix/adjust by ear -- but I find it helpful in my way-busy "producer/composer/engineer/session musician" mixed roles.
Interesting :.... for the most part I have my Edit window on the left screen (display) and my Mixer channels window on my right screen (the iMac)
But I also sometimes show the plugin GUI's either on the mixer window when 15 tracks or less or I shorten the width on the edit window and show them there for larger sessions
As far as visual being "controversial " seems to me thats more in mind or imagination some people than in reality. While obviously Audio is an auditory medium and ultimately we must listen.. I don't think it's a "one or the other" I think it is both, after all they invented VU meter's for a reason.

For example Here I have a Comp and Soft Clipper GUI's open and yes it's for a reason

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-20-2021, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

I have a 15" MBP and 27" display at home, and when I was working in the office, I had two 27" displays, which was doubly amazing.

As for some of these videos, I haven't watched them and wouldn't place any weight into external speculation. There's never a shortage of rumors floating around.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I suspect dual screens may be like a heated steering wheel in a car. Until you have it, you don't realize how much you'd miss it (I'd never buy a car without it at this point). I've never had dual screens so I don't know, but I'm thinking I could be fine with a wider screen for mixing and the smaller iMac screen for when I'm working at the keyboard.

In my current setup, space is limited so when I'm using the computer keyboard I'm always reaching over the top of my Hammer88 midi controller. I'm getting quite tired of that.

I'm thinking this DangerFox Genesis 24U desk would do nicely as a mixing/mastering desk. And I'd get a sidecar to house my preamps and patchbays.
Ya reaching over the keyboard does seem awkward That desk looks great
We often seem to have similar taste in gear I have ISO Acoustic stands also And I was all set to get some Neumann 120's when my guy at Wind Over the Earth offered me a deal to get in on his initial order of Amphion's

BTW if ya don't already know this when you go to fire up a second display make sure you go into System Preferences >Display> Arrangement > and deselect "Mirror Displays" if you want to have different things on the second display

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-20-2021, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post

As for some of these videos, I haven't watched them and wouldn't place any weight into external speculation. There's never a shortage of rumors floating around.
While yes obviously until Apple announces/launches them it is indeed speculation ......However there is informed speculation, and then there is uninformed speculation. For example having not watched them and making an assessment of potential "weight" would have to be considered as based on uninformed speculation,,, would it not ?

It's not like these guys are sitting around an ouija board and trowing dice... Several of these guys making these videos have consistently proven to be pretty accurate for the last 4 or 5 years or so ,,,, because they are making their predictions based on what has been fairly accurate sources of information for them in the past .. For instance what many of these same guys "speculated" prior to the M1 chips being announced , about what models would come out with them first the Air and the Mini , and what the new iMac 24" would look like and feature,, what the brand new Mac Book Pros would like and feature, proved to be pretty darn accurate. They said there would be upgraded M1 chips in them, with more cores and memory and they were in fact right

So I would not simply dismiss them out of hand based on "not having watched them". Besides where is fun in that ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-20-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

The reason I haven't watched the videos is mostly b/c they are so long (10, 15, 20+ minutes). I don't have that kind of time and prefer to get my information in shorter, more concise ways. This is 100% personal preference.

And given where I work, I need to recuse myself from the more detailed speculation discussion. Hope you understand.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
The reason I haven't watched the videos is mostly b/c they are so long (10, 15, 20+ minutes). I don't have that kind of time and prefer to get my information in shorter, more concise ways. This is 100% personal preference.

And given where I work, I need to recuse myself from the more detailed speculation discussion. Hope you understand.
Understand completely "ya gotta do what ya gotta do" I was simply offering that out of hand dismissal "while certainly a valid personal choice" may not be all that objective over all . One reason they are often long, is there is lot of detail involved, and the Max Tech guys for example tend to list who and where they get their sources of info from and why they feel the details are important ......... SALL Good

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD