The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-01-2021, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Here is what the new mic pre option looks like
What I like is you can turn phantom power on and off, set levels and stereo link. Also how I have the new color adjustments set

Very nice. I'm about to start the download right now.

Edit: I like how the meters dance during the Carbon firmware update.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 11-01-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

After playing with it a bit, the new color options are going to be very useful but I do with they'd let us have different setting for the midi window versus the track view.

YouTube
Old 11-19-2021, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Kev, give that Carbon of yours a blue ribbon today.

AVID Carbon - Sound on Sound's Gear of the Year.

"Released right at the very end of 2020, but too late to make it into last year’s round‑up, Avid’s Pro Tools | Carbon is a genuinely brilliant rethink of the role of DSP in computer recording. Not only is it a great‑sounding audio interface, but it effectively eliminates latency as an issue when tracking into Pro Tools — no matter whether you’re laying Down the initial sketches or adding a last‑minute overdub to a complex mix — in a way that’s almost completely invisible to the user."

YouTube
Old 11-19-2021, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Kev, give that Carbon of yours a blue ribbon today.

AVID Carbon - Sound on Sound's Gear of the Year.

"Released right at the very end of 2020, but too late to make it into last year’s round‑up, Avid’s Pro Tools | Carbon is a genuinely brilliant rethink of the role of DSP in computer recording. Not only is it a great‑sounding audio interface, but it effectively eliminates latency as an issue when tracking into Pro Tools — no matter whether you’re laying Down the initial sketches or adding a last‑minute overdub to a complex mix — in a way that’s almost completely invisible to the user."
Yep still loving it...There is however on glitch I've run into since upgrading to PT Ultimate 2021.10. and new firmware and that is when closing a session with one sample rate and opening a new session with a different sample rate about 75% of the the Hardware Setup and I/O gets screwed up and it will not pass sound from the session back into Carbon for monitoring

There was a thread started over on the DUC about it and now I have a support case going with the Avid engineering team to try to sort it out.

I have figured out a workaround but have to quit PT then relaunch which is a time waste and needs to be fixed

Here is the video example I linked for them

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-19-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yep still loving it...There is however on glitch I've run into since upgrading to PT Ultimate 2021.10. and new firmware and that is when closing a session with one sample rate and opening a new session with a different sample rate about 75% of the the Hardware Setup and I/O gets screwed up and it will not pass sound from the session back into Carbon for monitoring

There was a thread started over on the DUC about it and now I have a support case going with the Avid engineering team to try to sort it out.

I have figured out a workaround but have to quit PT then relaunch which is a time waste and needs to be fixed
That looks like a PITA. As critical as I am of AVID on other fronts, I cut them a bit of slack on these bugs. This interface is a venture into new territory and I don't think there's a way to avoid a bit of bugginess. And I can't fault the people who are working on the fixes with these things. They seem like they're vested in getting the problems solved quickly. Hopefully that remains true with your issue.

YouTube
Old 11-19-2021, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
That looks like a PITA. As critical as I am of AVID on other fronts, I cut them a bit of slack on these bugs. This interface is a venture into new territory and I don't think there's a way to avoid a bit of bugginess. And I can't fault the people who are working on the fixes with these things. They seem like they're vested in getting the problems solved quickly. Hopefully that remains true with your issue.
Well the good news is I almost always record in 48k. which I why I did not notice the issue until last weekend I started opening a bunch old sessions with all different sample rates 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96. Prior to that, even thought I had updated about a month and 1/2 ago I had been working only in 48k for the
videos I was doing

I think they will get it sorted out fairly quickly It was Avid that solicited people to start cases
right in the user posted thread about the issue.

My suspicion is it's something in the firmware update, or the firmware combined with 2021.10

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD