The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-01-2020, 04:04 AM

Default Don't Cry - collaboration cover

I did some fun "quarantine" project with a singer on a classic ballad from Guns N' Roses - if anyone is interested here's the link

Old 04-01-2020, 08:42 AM

Excellent!

It would be very cool if you breifly explain how this was done, to help others here do similar collaboration projects.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:59 AM

Hello, thanx! Sure, I will explain it.

The usual way collaboration music is done is when each member of an "online band" records his part on a pre-determined tempo (in BPM), or a so-called "click track", and then someone, a producer, or member of an online band puts the pieces together. It sounds easy in theory, but isn't.

I had only 2 parts to think about (vocal and guitar), so it was easier in that regard, and some overdubs with solo and backing vocals. The first recorded part was rhythm guitar over which the singer sang her main part - there're 2 ways you can do this - with live stream if each side has strong internet connection with fast upload/downloads and necessary audio equipment with very low latency - in practice, for people without such equipment it's usually much easier to do like this - you record a "backing track" and send it to singer - the singer sings over it (with minimal "bleed" as possible) and sends back just the vocal line, which you put in place over the backing track. The critical point is that the backing track remains the same throughout the entire process. After that, you do the same with backing vocals and solo guitar. As for the video itself, it's called a "split screen" technique, and you do it in various ways depending on the software you use. Me myself have done everything in Mixcraft for audio editing, and after that in Sony Vegas Studio for video. Cheers!
Old 04-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

That was impressive on every level, technology, playing and singing. Great job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell