The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-25-2022, 08:14 AM

Default counterpoint

Yes, you are correct. After learning chordal theory and the rules how you can string chords together, I have learned to use basic counterpoint techniques to help construct better bass lines. Paul McCartney is really good at this, so his bass lines are worth studying.

I am not nearly as proficient as a real master, I mean to study it some more.
One element is to view the Bass as an independent melody line, and selecting inverted nodes of the chord to make the bass movement more statifying. VS just playing root notes for the chords.

One principle is to try to achieve "natural" circle of 5th bass motion where possible.

For example: in the common cadence, C-Fmaj7 G7 C, the root motion between the F and G chords is a whole note up. By using B in the bass for the G chord, the bass motion will become F- > B which follows the "natural" circle of 5ths. Which is a more "logical" and strong bass motion.
Natural circle of 5ths follows the chord tones, so some of the 5ths will become tritones, because how the notes happen to fall out.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
Yes, you are correct. After learning chordal theory and the rules how you can string chords together, I have learned to use basic counterpoint techniques to help construct better bass lines. Paul McCartney is really good at this, so his bass lines are worth studying.

I am not nearly as proficient as a real master, I mean to study it some more.
One element is to view the Bass as an independent melody line, and selecting inverted nodes of the chord to make the bass movement more statifying. VS just playing root notes for the chords.

One principle is to try to achieve "natural" circle of 5th bass motion where possible.

For example: in the common cadence, C-Fmaj7 G7 C, the root motion between the F and G chords is a whole note up. By using B in the bass for the G chord, the bass motion will become F- > B which follows the "natural" circle of 5ths. Which is a more "logical" and strong bass motion.
Natural circle of 5ths follows the chord tones, so some of the 5ths will become tritones, because how the notes happen to fall out.
Thanks, I do try to get some interesting bass movement going where I can and don't limit myself to using roots in the bass all the time but I have tended to focus on using bass notes a semitone appart to lead one chord to another so in your progression I might make use of the third of C leading to the root of F, so nothing advanced going on there but I never really thought about using the magnetic tendency of 5ths to resolve to the root it's a good point worth exploring.
I really like the effects produced with movement of chords and bass lines that are created by piano players who accompany traditional dance music, some say there are no chords in Irish music but I think these piano accompanyists add another dimension to this music.

Last edited by Andyrondack; 04-26-2022 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:18 AM

Default Counterpoint

If you anre interested in studying counterpoint, "Practica Musica" may be worth a look. (software, by ars-nova.)

Last edited by coder; 04-28-2022 at 04:43 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write