The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2022, 07:50 PM

Default Playing with Bose L16

WOW! At long last (remember covid?)I played a concert in public, well, in a care, assisted, and retirement facility. In front of real people and everything. Also first time with the Bose Pro L16. My S1 is cared for so I went with the L16. Set it up last night, took it down and packed it off today to play. Plugged everything in turned it on, adjusted the volume and that was the last time I touched it until I took it down. Big very huge arched ceiling and it was just right. Filled the room. Never touched anything and it sounded exactly tre way I liked. Using a Bose mixer but honestly do not think I needed it. I assumed that with the mixer next to me I could make a few tweaks on the fly but never touched it after turning it on.
I was impressed with the system. I am sure other systems may sound equally nice, but I am pleased with this one. Going to get and outside gig later this month and planning to use the L16 and a pair of the S1 speakers in a large courtyard.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:19 AM

Great that you're back at it! I've had only one gig in the past two years and hope to start up again soon, and like you, with some new gear.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 05-13-2022, 11:16 AM

I was at an open mic last night with a small standard point source PA. About midway through, a guy showed up with a Bose L8, and they started plugging in the guitar to that (while leaving the vocals through the point source PA). He was using it without the extra spacer, and it was used like a guitar amp. I did one set without the L8, and a second set with it. The difference in the quality of the guitar sound was stunning! It just sounded blah through the regular PA and just so perfect and balanced through the L8. I do a lot of fingerstyle jazzy thumb basslines, and the L8 really brought them out to where people could hear them.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Glad you like the Pro16!

I would suggest that you won't need the additional S1's as extension speakers, however; the bigger Bose rigs REALLY cover a lot of ground, and they cover it evenly throughout a room!

Position the main tower somewhere on a diagonal behind you, give it 10-15 feet so you (as the performer) get the benefit of the phenomenal dispersion... then you just adjust the volume to what you hear, and trust that that volume level will spread throughout the venue...

Love my L1 Model II! For acoustic guitar and vocals, it is simply the best sounding rig I've ever encountered...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-13-2022, 04:23 PM

I had the L1 Model II for a while, and I had mixed feelings about the column of speakers running to the floor. If the column was on any sort of raised stage, it was miraculous, sending even sound levels way to the back of even a triple ballroom. The problem was in those instances where there was no raised stage and the column was on the floor with a standing crowd. It seemed like the front rows of people absorbed all the highs. Back then I was mostly mixing from an iPad, and I would stand up on a chair in those rooms so that I could hear the highs. In those situations I much prefer systems were the high frequency drivers are only on the upper part of the column. That or a point source system where you could raise the speakers high over peoples’ heads.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification