The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-28-2022, 07:19 PM

Default LR Baggs Anthem mic location

I recently had the LR Baggs Anthem installed and the mic was installed on the back of the guitar, not to the underside of the bridgeplate. Is that acceptable and will it work well that way? I have three other guitars that already had the Anthem nstalled, and they are all on the underside of the bridgeplate.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:50 PM

Have you plugged it in and tried it yet?

Even though things are supposed to be a certain way, sometimes accidental misplacement of things can result in a pleasant surprise.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

LR Baggs lists several alternate locations for installation. Plug it in and play it. If it sounds good, it's properly placed.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-29-2022, 06:46 AM

I am interested to hear how this sounds. It's not a location that Baggs recommends, but it might work. I remember once chatting with a luthier who used the B-Band 2.2 system in all of their guitars. It's a UST/SBT set up. He would always attach the AST portion to the backside of the guitar so maybe the tru-mic will work well there.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:44 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I will try it out and let you know how it works!
Old 04-30-2022, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

I had a LR Baggs installed by a local luthier and ended up having some issues with cutting out and weird noises. called LR baggs and sent the preamp out, they ended up sending me a whole new unit. Yesterday I went in pulled everything out and re-installed it. I will let you know ive installed several LR baggs systems but didnt have the time to do it on my Martin so thats why I went to a luthier. Upon inspection the luthier installed this pick up completely wrong. The battery pack was installed on the back of the guitar. The mic was in the wrong place. The undersaddle transducer hold was drilled at a 90 degree angle at the low E string and not at an angle at the very end of the saddle hole like the directions state. Lastly, the clips to hold the wires in place were all over the top of the guitar. Suffice it to say I was very unhappy but also extremely happy I had time to install it the right way. if you google pictures of the anthem install you will see a guitar with the back missing and a view of where everything is supposed to clip and go in place. I wouldn't recommend the mic anywhere other than where its supposed to go. My guess is my first system in my Martin was having issues because the UST was installed poorly.
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 04-30-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
I had a LR Baggs installed by a local luthier and ended up having some issues with cutting out and weird noises. called LR baggs and sent the preamp out, they ended up sending me a whole new unit. Yesterday I went in pulled everything out and re-installed it. I will let you know ive installed several LR baggs systems but didnt have the time to do it on my Martin so thats why I went to a luthier. Upon inspection the luthier installed this pick up completely wrong. The battery pack was installed on the back of the guitar. The mic was in the wrong place. The undersaddle transducer hold was drilled at a 90 degree angle at the low E string and not at an angle at the very end of the saddle hole like the directions state. Lastly, the clips to hold the wires in place were all over the top of the guitar. Suffice it to say I was very unhappy but also extremely happy I had time to install it the right way. if you google pictures of the anthem install you will see a guitar with the back missing and a view of where everything is supposed to clip and go in place. I wouldn't recommend the mic anywhere other than where its supposed to go. My guess is my first system in my Martin was having issues because the UST was installed poorly.
Some of these issues are actually not issues. I think you are overthinking things a bit. Baggs says it’s totally fine to have a 90 degree hole as the Element is very durable. All my UST installs have had the hole on the low E side. It really doesn’t matter. Many luthiers put the battery bag on the back of the guitar. I am currious where the mic went though?
Old 04-30-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac25 View Post
I recently had the LR Baggs Anthem installed and the mic was installed on the back of the guitar, not to the underside of the bridgeplate. Is that acceptable and will it work well that way? I have three other guitars that already had the Anthem nstalled, and they are all on the underside of the bridgeplate.
Wonder why they didn't install it directly to the top or bridge plate?
According to install manual this is where Baggs recommends.

I have a Martin with a very narrow bridge plate ..
I emailed baggs support and they recommended trying it in front or behind bridge (attached to top) ...

I tried both places and settled attaching it to top just behind the bridge plate, Sounds great!

Old 04-30-2022, 08:26 AM

So I tried it out last night. The sound was surprisingly good, but due to the mic being installed on the back of the guitar, I definitely noticed the mic picking up more sound of the guitar rubbing against my body. I will try it out a few more times, but may need to take it back to my luthier to see if he can move to bridge plate.

Last edited by Jmac25; 05-02-2022 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-07-2022, 03:39 AM

Quote:
So I tried it out last night. The sound was surprisingly good, but due to the mic being installed on the back of the guitar, I definitely noticed the mic picking up more sound of the guitar rubbing against my body. I will try it out a few more times, but may need to take it back to my luthier to see if he can move to bridge plate.
Be brave...you can do it yourself. It's not that hard.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
It's not hard to do yourself. slowly wriggle it free. It's attached with sticky 3M type tape. Just cut some new pieces to match the spots where they go and reattach it yourself. Use a small flashlight or your phone to help see where it is. I use the empty holes in the bridge to help line it up and then stick it lightly where you think it should go. Use you phone to take a video of the inside of the guitar to check the positioning. If its good, then press it firmly in place. If not, then reposition it and check again.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Wonder why they didn't install it directly to the top or bridge plate?
According to install manual this is where Baggs recommends.

I have a Martin with a very narrow bridge plate ..
I emailed baggs support and they recommended trying it in front or behind bridge (attached to top) ...

I tried both places and settled attaching it to top just behind the bridge plate, Sounds great!

That's really interesting, I have never considered doing that. I have always made the mic fit on the bridge plate somehow (I think I've installed about 5 of them?) even if they are hanging off a little. I guess this position troubles me a little because I don't want to inhibit the movement of the top wood.
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 05-11-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossforgain View Post
That's really interesting, I have never considered doing that. I have always made the mic fit on the bridge plate somehow (I think I've installed about 5 of them?) even if they are hanging off a little. I guess this position troubles me a little because I don't want to inhibit the movement of the top wood.
same here - some guitars do have a narrow space on the bridgeplate but I've always managed to squeeze it in there. If it hangs off a little, I'll add a little extra 3M tape to compensate and stabilize it. You just have to be careful not to block any of the pin holes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification