The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-23-2022, 02:31 PM

Since you are looking for new techniques and have a background/interest in blues, Dropped-D is the simplest but still great sounding altered tuning. Maybe you already know, just lower your 6th string from E to D, and play any song in the key of D. You can use your thumb to dead-bass the 6th string, or alternating-bass 6th and 4th strings, which are both D now. It gives a certain profundo to the bass line.

Toby Walker has his D-pack lesson with a bunch of great songs, Stack'0'Lee, Delia, Statesboro Blues, Big Road Blues. Not too hard, fun to play, interesting sound.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

In open D how about Little Martha, Police Dog Blues.
In dropped D how about Willy McTells' Statsboro Blues, Going Down Slow (Bibbs version)
In open G J.Winters 'Dallas' R Johnsons 'Crossroads'
In Standard Blind Blake tunes like 'Diddie wah Diddie' and 'Tootie Blues' and Blind Boy Fuller and Charley Patton too many great ones to mention.

There's some F/P blues recommendations, some of my favorites.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld View Post
Since you are looking for new techniques and have a background/interest in blues, Dropped-D is the simplest but still great sounding altered tuning. Maybe you already know, just lower your 6th string from E to D, and play any song in the key of D. You can use your thumb to dead-bass the 6th string, or alternating-bass 6th and 4th strings, which are both D now. It gives a certain profundo to the bass line.

Toby Walker has his D-pack lesson with a bunch of great songs, Stack'0'Lee, Delia, Statesboro Blues, Big Road Blues. Not too hard, fun to play, interesting sound.
OP here. Thanks for the suggestion. I do play Green, Green Ricky Road in drop D, and agree that it really adds some kick to the bass. I will check out the others.
David
Old 04-24-2022, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle Dee View Post
In open D how about Little Martha, Police Dog Blues.
In dropped D how about Willy McTells' Statsboro Blues, Going Down Slow (Bibbs version)
In open G J.Winters 'Dallas' R Johnsons 'Crossroads'
In Standard Blind Blake tunes like 'Diddie wah Diddie' and 'Tootie Blues' and Blind Boy Fuller and Charley Patton too many great ones to mention.

There's some F/P blues recommendations, some of my favorites.
Tom, real good ones - especially Police Dog Blues, which has been on my list for a while. Well, more than a while, since I first heard it back in the early '80's done by Ry Cooder. Wasn't till about 40 years later that I picked up a guitar for the first time.
Thanks.
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write