The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-11-2022, 12:28 PM

I tried a variety of mics, including oktava small-diaphragm mics, and of the mics I have here a Blue Baby Bottle is my current favorite. Not too much low end, smooth highs, it sounds full and warm.

I should do some more experiments, not sure I tried “everything”.
Basses
Electric guitars
Lap steel
Old 04-12-2022, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

I pulled the cord and jumped today for a pair of mid-priced sE Electronics sE8 small diaphragm condenser mics. $500+ a pair. Well, maybe that’s low-priced. Second tier?

A few days ago I found these sound sets for ten SDCs representing a broad range of mics from entry level to near sub-pro. I was struck with how competitive the sound quality of the sE8 is with that of the Schoeps CMC641, for example, plus several big names.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/be...oustic-guitar/

Each mic captured both a D28 and a J-45 at 8.5”. It’s a useful reference for the mic shopper.

For close mic’ing the sE8 — like many higher-end mics — has two pads, -10 and -20 dB, plus high pass filters at either 80 or 160 Hz to tame proximity effect. I’m optimistic. They should be here on Friday.

Anyone else use these?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 04-12-2022 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Anyone else use these?
I have a student who bought them for himself at Christmas. Its hard to tell, as he's pretty new to recording and is in an untreated space, but he's sounding better than he was with his previous mics, which were pretty low-end. The appear to be sort of KM184 clones, at least that's the physical appearance they're going for. They seem to hold up well in that sweetwater demo compared to the others.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:29 AM
Charter Member

I’m very happy with the SE8 pair I have. They’re now available with a swappable omni cartridge as well as the original cardioid ones. Whilst I would pay more I haven’t seen the need. My last few recordings are using them into a Sound Devices MixPre 3, though not so close - usually out about 18” to 2ft, some in MS with a VR2 ribbon.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 04-12-2022, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I pulled the cord and jumped today for a pair of mid-priced sE Electronics sE8 small diaphragm condenser mics. $500+ a pair. Well, maybe that’s low-priced. Second tier?

A few days ago I found these sound sets for ten SDCs representing a broad range of mics from entry level to near sub-pro. I was struck with how competitive the sound quality of the sE8 is with that of the Schoeps CMC641, for example, plus several big names.

Each mic captured both a D28 and a J-45 at 8.5”. It’s a useful reference for the mic shopper.

For close mic’ing the sE8 — like many higher-end mics — has two pads, -10 and -20 dB, plus high pass filters at either 80 or 160 Hz to tame proximity effect. I’m optimistic. They should be here on Friday.

Anyone else use these?
Excellent! These are good mics for a good price! I think you'll be happy with these!

- Glenn
Old 04-15-2022, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Anyone else use these?
The sE8s just arrived. I opened another thread about them. I'll try to get some tracks with them this weekend.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Schoeps

My all time favorite SDC's for stereo solo recording in any mic placement or pattern were a matched pair of Schoeps CMC641's. Too many reasons to list. Never recorded with anything better or got better results.

Room Treatment is the key to maximizing the performance of ANY mic, guitar, mix or gear. It's the only way to go for home recording, IMO.

Haven't heard the sE8 yet. But sE mic's of any model have never impressed my ears for sound. I never bought a mic based on price savings. SAve for a pair of Schoeps & never buy another guitar mic.

alohachris
Old 04-17-2022, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
My all time favorite SDC's for stereo solo recording in any mic placement or pattern were a matched pair of Schoeps CMC641's. Too many reasons to list. Never recorded with anything better or got better results.

Room Treatment is the key to maximizing the performance of ANY mic, guitar, mix or gear. It's the only way to go for home recording, IMO.

Haven't heard the sE8 yet. But sE mic's of any model have never impressed my ears for sound. I never bought a mic based on price savings. SAve for a pair of Schoeps & never buy another guitar mic.

alohachris
I couldn’t agree more about the effect of the room acoustics. Mine will remain subpar because I live in a small California ranch with my lovely bride, who keeps a high visual standard around here. She’s great about my office/music room and the garage/wood shop. I can’t record in the garage, and the office is 12x13 with lots of reflections. It’s hard to imagine taming the acoustics in there.

That leaves our long room, where the reflections are a bit more remote and therefore quieter. I can set up there when I have the house to myself. So that’s my current setup. I’ll be learning what I can produce with the sE8s.

Alohachris, did you check out the sound set link I posted? You can A/B the Schoeps and the sE8 on both a D-28 and a J-45. I listened closely on monitors and headphones — many times, owing to the nearly sevenfold price difference. There was some sonic difference — the sE8 was maybe a little more shrill with transient finger noise — but I don’t feel like it would make a noticeable difference in the things I want to create. I couldn’t believe my ears at first, but the more I looked into it, the more credible it became that the sE8 is as good as it is. So, as a hobbyist, I opted to go with mics I can hardly tell from the big boys.

I hope to do some tracking tomorrow! Wish me luck.

Last edited by b1j; 04-17-2022 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
I’m very happy with the SE8 pair I have. They’re now available with a swappable omni cartridge as well as the original cardioid ones. Whilst I would pay more I haven’t seen the need. My last few recordings are using them into a Sound Devices MixPre 3, though not so close - usually out about 18” to 2ft, some in MS with a VR2 ribbon.
Rod, good to hear they’re working for you. With my room I think I need to mic close. That’s the whole reason I went looking for SDCs known to work well with close mic’ing. It’s also what drew me to this thread. If your room can deliver with mic’ing from two feet, that’s great. Not sure mine can. I’ll probably try it eventually, but for now I’ve entered my 8 - 10” phase.
Old 04-17-2022, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

I use an ETD Edwina mostly, but I also have a pair of SM81. These work well enough for my needs.
Old 04-17-2022, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Back to the OP in that price range or less I would consider either the Warm Audio WA 84 or perhaps what is likely my next purchase Austrian Audio CC8

Both can had in pairs for under $1000

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-17-2022, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

First, non-scientific comparison. I did two mono tracks in my "better" room with the sE8s at XY at 8 to 10 inches, one pointing to the bridge and the other to the 12th fret. I A/Bd these with the mono track I made the other day in my crappy-sounding bedroom, with the Rode NT-1A, 8 – 10" from the 12th fret. Both recording were of the same song.

I know, two extra variables (mono/stereo and of course different rooms).

In any case, the small diaphragm mics sounded very good, better than I remember my tracks sounding to date.

I need much more experience, but for now, I'll stick with the SDCs, if for no other reason that they have that handy stereo bar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD