The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2021, 10:40 PM

That's easy, a 000-18.
scott
Old 06-23-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryblank View Post
Looking for a warm 000 guitar with short scale. Any recommendations?

Does it have to be a Martin?
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 06-24-2021, 01:19 AM

My Collings 000-2H is very warm with Thomastik strings yet still retains clarity. It started off a bit tight but has opened up a lot of the years. The treble response is more prominent than in similar Martin builds but they have a thickness to them that prevents them sounding sharp or bright. H&D make a very warm and sweet sounding 000 as well.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 06-24-2021, 03:11 AM
Charter Member

Looking at the seemingly conflicting suggestions in this thread, I do wonder if playing around with the string type and gauges, the saddle material and shape, the bridge pins, the type of pick or finger picks used, and the player's technique could make any 000 size guitar sound "warm".

Like I said earlier in this thread, I think that I get a warm, rounded tone from my 000. But that has more to do with my set up and playing style than the guitar itself.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-24-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Looking at the seemingly conflicting suggestions in this thread, I do wonder if playing around with the string type and gauges, the saddle material and shape, the bridge pins, the type of pick or finger picks used, and the player's technique could make any 000 size guitar sound "warm".

Like I said earlier in this thread, I think that I get a warm, rounded tone from my 000. But that has more to do with my set up and playing style than the guitar itself.

100% agree but people will continue to argue that say Collings for example are inherently ‘bright’. A heavy pick, Thomastik strings moving over the sound hole and you have a tone so warm you will need to open a window.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 06-24-2021, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTexMurf View Post
I sure do like my Eastman e2 OM CD.
Shorter scale counts as 000 enough for me.
Warm and lovely tone to my ear and more headroom than I expected from a cedar top.
Amazing value.
IMO
I second that emotion... regarding my Eastman E2OM-CD.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I lose sleep over the mahogany vs rosewood. I find there is major overlapping qualities that get hard to describe with words. I think most builders have models that blur that line; however, Martins seem to blur even more, which I think is a good thing. The 000-28EC in my opinion has the classic in between sound, Its tremendously woody yet retains that rosewood richness that I like. Its the perfect balance imo and when I play one I feel like its playing me if that makes any sense. little effort

lately the neck profile has been the most important factor. The EC neck for me just feels about as perfect as I could hope. so, while there might be other options, the neck profile is a factor. its not an easy pilgrimage thats for sure. I wish there were more pre war guitar company models in circulation.

thanks all for your responses. it helps a ton having a sounding board (no pun) for these things.
I grew up playing a rosewood dread (68 D28), was away from guitar for many years, got back into it 4-5 years ago, and found I only liked mahogany with either a mahogany or spruce top. I’ve had a couple of 000-15 guitars, an M and an SM, loved the sound, didn't love the necks. For the last year and a half, a CEO-7 has been my only acoustic, with a Mod-V neck and an Adirondack top. But recently I started liking the sound of rosewood again, and a few weeks ago I bought an 000-28EC. I chose the EC over the standard reimagined 000-28 because of the neck, which turned out to be a notably beefier Mod-V than the CEO-7 - I like it a lot but not as overwhelmingly as the neck on the CEO-7, which felt absolutely sublime the first time I picked it up and still does.

I’m loving the 000-28EC, but compared to the hog-based guitars I’ve been playing the past few years, I sure wouldn’t call it “warm”. It’s got that rosewood sound I recall from my old D-28, but that’s a lot more about overtones, “ringing out”, and sustain than warmth. The CEO-7 is a lot warmer to my ears, and 000-18s I’ve played and 000-15’s I’ve owned were warmer yet.

I guess we all hear “warmth” differently, or have different ideas of what it means. Sounds like you’re drawn to the Clapton and I’d never try to talk you out of that - I’m loving mine. But you may want to play a few 18s or 15s as well before you make up your mind. I love the EC, but when I want that warm, dry, woody fundamental sound, I’ll be picking up the CEO-7 for sure. If you like the EC neck, you should try to find a CEO-7 (or CEO-9, warmer still) to play. Since we all have our own ideas of what warm means, I guess we each have to play a lot of guitars to zero in on the right version of warmth for our ears…

Good luck,

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 06-24-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Looking for a warm 000 guitar with short scale. Any recommendations?
This is exactly why I purchased my Lowden, Sinker Redwood/African Blackwood. But for the more budget minded a 000-28 would be a lovely choice.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-24-2021, 09:22 AM

thanks all

im only wedded to martin in the sense that i really like their mod v neck.

tone is all very subjective for sure. take for example tone poems. all very different guitars however not entirely easy to make out the differentiating characteristics (wood, size) since obviously so much of the tone is tony less the guitar.

ill check out the ceo’s.

thanks as always.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:26 AM

and i totally agree with the assesment that pick, strings, etc, playing style have a huge impact on tone. heck some days all things equal a guitar can sound different than the day before. temp, humidity...
Old 06-24-2021, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

a year or so ago i had the opportunity to play my EC along with a newly restored 30's 000-28. We in the room were all amazed how similar they sounded and felt. But then that was the goal of the EC. So if you think you'd like the sound of a golden era Martin for $40-$50k less then the EC might be the guitar for you.

I would add that in shopping for an EC i played at least half a dozen and one did not wow me. The others all did. So play before you buy. Also, i bought used and paid $1600. A few blemishes but nothing that hurts. Added K&K which seems to work really well in it.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 06-24-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
If you can afford it a 000-28EC. For me it's the definition of a warm & mellow guitar. And if you want to counterbalance some of the inherent warmness/mellowness you can use 80/20 strings. I use Elixirs Nanoweb 80/20 with great results.
I string my EC with Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze. To my ears they do all the good things that PBs and 80/20s do at the same time. And I second your recommendation on the EC. For me it's a lifetime keeper.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 06-24-2021, 10:37 AM

Another guitar to consider is the Martin CEO-7. Adirondack over Mahogany, even warmer than the 000-28EC and incredibly comfortable to play. A thousand dollars less is easier on the wallet too.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 06-24-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
000-15 but it's not short scale.
the 000-15sm is 12-fret body size even though its a 25.4" scale. Close enough?

Can't beat it for warm.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
the 000-15sm is 12-fret body size even though its a 25.4" scale. Close enough?

Can't beat it for warm.
It's close enough for me, but I also play a 000-15 Streetmaster which is long scale. The OP was the one that specified he wanted a short scale.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion