The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2021, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I am in the same position. I have a bunch of very nice guitars, but I could really stand to sell off some of them. Some of the guitars I just don't play very much anymore.

The trouble is, when I play the ones that don't get used much, I realize how good they sound. And then I hold off selling them.

I have room, I don't have to get the money out of the few guitars I don't play that often, so I don't make the move the sell them.

- Glenn
Old 06-17-2021, 09:04 AM

I moved 3 excellent guitars this year.

Just wasn't playing them that much, time to let others enjoy them.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-17-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

The trouble is, when I play the ones that don't get used much, I realize how good they sound. And then I hold off selling them.

I have room, I don't have to get the money out of the few guitars I don't play that often, so I don't make the move the sell them.

- Glenn
this is my problem exactly

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-17-2021, 09:08 AM

I also own a couple which I do not pull from the case all that often but have been unable to bring myself to sell. One is a 1956 Epiphone FT-79. It is one of those guitars which does not do anything terribly well but sounds so good trying. The reason though it does not get a lot of playing time is the nut which is a hair narrower than 1 11/16. Makes the neck feet skimpier than I like. But this is one of those guitars in which I have total faith that it will always be good to go. Finicky or temperamental it ain't. In the past 15 or so years I have only had to tweak the truss rod once. The other is a 1961 Gibson B45-12. But in this case it is because for me there is a certain itch only a 12 string can scratch but it is an itch I just do not get as often as I once did. Also lurking in the back of mind is that neither guitar would be easy to replace if down the road I came to learn letting them go had been a mistake. And that is a feeling I do know.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

D-35. A 1979 with the mis-cut saddle slot. Didn’t bother me when I didn’t know what I was doing. Now I play Taylors with their near perfect intonation up the neck. Had the Martin so long I want to be cremated with it.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

I've been churning through guitars and have now reached my space limit. So it's one-in one-out now. Like yours, some of mine don't get played as often. But when I pick one of them up, I'm again convinced to keep it. I don't have an answer to your question, but it's a nice problem to have.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Have never sold a guitar. Though I have given quite a few (less valued) away over the years.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Over the past few years, I have re-calibrated my guitar collection. I sold guitars that I didn't play very much and got another custom keeper for life. I went from 9 guitars to 5, with one of those currently on consignment. Of the 4 that I have here at home, they get rotated through weekly. Not surprising, my two custom-made instruments get played the most - pretty much daily.

It was in preparation for retirement at the end of this year, that prompted me to pare down. I sold one guitar to a friend, sold 3 on consignment. I broke even on two deals and lost just a bit on the other two sales. The one that is currently on consignment will probably get sold at a loss just because of the market and a few other circumstances beyond my control. I have been mostly lucky in all of my selling and buying transactions so no regrets.

I am happy that the guitars that I wasn't playing as much are in the hands of folks who are enjoying them.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-17-2021, 09:57 AM

I did this a few years ago on electric. I think the key is to not play the old guitars before selling them. We get in a headspace of wanting to clean house, but then we decide we need one more spin around the block before selling the old guard off... that's where we mess up. Once you decide you want to sell something, take pictures, box it up, and have it ready to ship once a buyer pulls a trigger.

Sold all my electrics, and then bought my Les Paul. Then I did a similar thing with acoustics. I bought my J-45, then gave my old seagull to a co-workers' son and I traded my Martin to Steve at vintageparlorguitar.com to cover the cost having my grandmother's guitar reworked. Despite owning two acoustics, the Gibson is the only one that ever gets played, and my grandmother's guitar hangs around for sentiment and the occasional recording where I need that small body sound.

I think at this point, I would probably be fine selling all my electric stuff and my J-45, giving my grandmother's guitar to my brother (in the hopes one of his kids play some day), and picking up one really nice instrument. That Bourgeois I played recently really did rock my world.

Going real simple and just having 1 guitar that doesn't "have" to be plugged in sounds really freaking nice right about now.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:00 AM

the only guitar ive been considering selling is my les paul. i just dont use it enough.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 06-17-2021, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

I have two guitars, a L00 Myrtle/Redwood and a quilted maple tele with a Lollar charlie christian pickup, made by a friend of mine. The L00 is beautiful, impeccable workmanship, was made for my 50th birthday, but I don't play it much because unfortunately, it is not up the tonal standards of my Webber and Avalon. The electric is wonderful, no complaints there, but I hardly ever play electric anymore. But because of the personal connection, I will never sell them.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

I hardly play my Martin and Guild anymore. My Seagull and Alvarez are case queens. I just found a tune with a much different tuning than I usually use so the Guild will spring into action soon.

My Martin was a gift from my wife so it isn't going anywhere.

The Guild D-120 is perfect for what I do it just has to wait in line to be played.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

I find these threads and the posts interesting and I read through them. But for me the idea of buying, accumulating and selling guitars is just not that compelling. That said, I have one that I seldom play. I think that I wouldn't sell it, but I would trade it if the opportunity came along

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 06-17-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Only 3 acoustics get played regularly. Every now and then I dust off my Yamaha classical guitar and know I should keep it.

I have kept hold of my Les Paul and Strat thinking I might one day play them again, same with my D12-20. I really should sell these on but don’t need to...

An Ovation and an Epiphone have been with me so long, I think - why sell them now?

Apathy prevails...

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 06-17-2021, 11:08 AM

Yes, I will probably let go of a couple of guitars I seldom play. But I had an interesting experience that I want to relate about my Tanglewood TWJP parlor.

This is a beautiful appearing guitar, but it doesn't match up to my other small bodied guitars. So, I considered selling it. Then, I thought, why not try an experiment by stringing it with Nashville tuning strings. Oh, my gosh! It sounds like something between a harpsichord and a mandolin -- simply beautiful.

I had been considering learning to play mandolin. Now, I don't have to. The instrument adds that brand new dimension of sound for me.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion