The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-06-2021, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Default How diffficult to make finish thinner

Is it a difficult process to make finish thinner, if a builder has a certain way of doing the task? if I accept perhaps the look will be different, say not as reflective. I want to make this request to a luthier and wonder if it would be more complicated than it seems. Just a simple matt almost no finish finish, .002 around. The look I do not care that much about, I just want something towards a theoretical non sound hindering ideal.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:43 PM

That will depend upon the individual luthier and what he or she is willing and able to do.

It's easy enough to apply some type of finish that will be less thick. Questions that go with that is whether or not you want the pores filled and want a flat, non-textured finish. It also depends upon what level of protection you want an applied finish to provide to the wood.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:24 PM

Default A thought

My only experience has been applying nitro. Apply a cross coat, block sand, repeat till all those shiny spots and shiny grain pores go away. Takes a while.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
The look I do not care that much about, I just want something towards a theoretical non sound hindering ideal.
Then go no finish, anything applied will change "theoretically" the sound, a pore filler or wood sealer will add mass and stiffness, albeit as little as that is, any subsequent finish will do the same.

I personally do not subscibe to the finish thickness will change the sound of the guitar significant enough that a person can blind test hear it, that being said exceptions to the rule always exist and pouring a solid epoxy over the surface is an example
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-07-2021, 01:53 AM

French polish.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-07-2021, 02:50 AM

Just asking the luthier should work.
French polish was mentioned. Just about any finish can be thin, as long as you are OK with a finish that does not look and feel smooth and shiny. Some actually prefer finishes that let you feel the texture of the wood.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-07-2021, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

The two guitars I have now are no pore, and both under .003. The maker in question is a medium size builder and I wonder if they will make the adjustment for me. I will ask of course. I am interested in getting a guitar but they goop on the poly at .007. I suspect because pretty/shiney sells better and they want that mirror look.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:48 AM

French-polished shellac or just shellac sealer. I can finish a dreadnaught with less than one half ounce of dry shellac flakes. Half of that gets sanded off or lost in the pad.

If you want thinner, then just have it sealed with 2 or 3 coats of one-pound/gallon shellac sealer. That will give you 0.000" thickness.

This guitar has only sealer to protect the wood from contamination.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-07-2021, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
French-polished shellac or just shellac sealer. I can finish a dreadnaught with less than one half ounce of dry shellac flakes. Half of that gets sanded off or lost in the pad.

If you want thinner, then just have it sealed with 2 or 3 coats of one-pound/gallon shellac sealer. That will give you 0.000" thickness.

This guitar has only sealer to protect the wood from contamination.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Oh, so good! Is this adequately protective? I do not play out and don't need the armor. This would be transparent, without debate. I had an expensive sole luthier build once and I wore chips out of the top and it looked to be .008 at least -- in that area. Bad!
Old 06-07-2021, 12:49 PM

I think you are barking up the wrong tree if you are attempting to obtain a particular sound by specifying the thickness - or even type - of the finish.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I think you are barking up the wrong tree if you are attempting to obtain a particular sound by specifying the thickness - or even type - of the finish.

+1

In-the-white is quite a different sound, IMO, and not necessarily a better one.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Is this adequately protective?
Define "adequately". I don't think thin French-polished shellac provides "any" mechanical protection.

The sealer provides the minimum film thickness to "resist" water/oil/dirt absorption. If it wears off you can add another coat in a couple minutes.

I built this guitar in search of the illusive "metallic" shimmering sound.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-09-2021, 05:14 PM

My 2020 Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200 has their 'thin nitro' finish - read somewhere they give it only 4 coats of varnish compared to the usual 9 coats for glossy finish.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-10-2021, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

The maker in question does two finishes. A high gloss Poly for the highend guitars at .17mm, and a nitro matt at .07mm for lower tier. Big difference. Shine over optimal sound on the higher end guitars, imo.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
My 2020 Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200 has their 'thin nitro' finish - read somewhere they give it only 4 coats of varnish compared to the usual 9 coats for glossy finish.

Thin wins.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair