The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-29-2021, 05:22 PM
Guest 928

Default 1/4 sized nylon string guitars

I'm exploring 1/4 sized nylon string instruments--any advice?
Old 05-29-2021, 06:51 PM

Hi Evan,
Check out Romero Creations Baritone 6 string: tenor ukulele body with six nylon strings. Or if you want to spend more try a Little Pepe built by Pepe Romero himself (famtastic guitar) also a tenor ukulele body with six nylon strings.
Barb.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:05 PM

Check out Cordoba’s Protégé Guitars.

I have a 1/2 size. A great value for $159.

Martin OOO-10E
Bristol BB-16

Over a dozen ukuleles.

My YouTube channel- https://youtube.com/c/VicSchmeltz
Old 05-30-2021, 11:15 AM

Either recommendation. Big price difference. The initial run of Romeros were topnotch in every respect, at $1,000US. They were all solid, but I would expect the current ones to be excellent as well. The Protege I had was an impressive guitar for the money.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:31 PM
Guest 928

Thank you all for your recommendations. The Romero is obviously a top of the line instrument. As just starting out on this search I am not willing to spend at that level. I am looking at a Cordoba Mini O CE and will check out the Protege.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:40 AM

I have a Protege 1/4 scale. I like it! Narrow neck and tight string spacing. The Mini will have a wider nut and string spacing similar to a full size guitar.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:28 AM
Guest 928

I tried out two Caramel 6 string baritone ukuleles, tuned like a guitar, and could not believe how well they played and sounded. I also tried the Cordoba Mini and it, too, is a very nice instrument.

I then moved up to the Mine II EB-CE which is larger than the the baritone ukes and a very nice instrument.

Finally, I moved to 3/4 sized guitars and hit my comfort level.

The 1/4 sized guitars or Baritone ukes, whatever they might be called, are great travel instruments and nice to have just laying around the house.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'm exploring 1/4 sized nylon string instruments--any advice?

Hi Evan, what is the primary purpose that you are considering an 1/4 sized nylon string instrument?

regards,
Kevin

http://www.youtube.com/user/Optichero
http://www.kevinloh.net/
https://www.facebook.com/KevinLoh.Guitar

Christopher Dean - Classical Rosewood/Spruce
James Goodall Palor - Maple/Cedar
Old 07-25-2021, 07:34 AM
Guest 928

Kevin;

Years ago, when I was doing a lot of travel, I was interested in what I called a "suitcase guitar," an instrument that I could easily carry while traveling. I couldn't find one and so I made four prototypes. I stopped traveling and for a while left the idea of suitcase guitars.

Recently, while looking back on 60 years of guitar playing, I decided to revisit the various sizes of guitars in order to reassess what is most comfortable for me. The small ones were fun, but too small for my comfort level.

I've settled on instruments somewhere around 3/4 size and currently have a
Blackbird Savoy as my quality guitar and an Ovation AN13 as my beater.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Kevin;

Years ago, when I was doing a lot of travel, I was interested in what I called a "suitcase guitar," an instrument that I could easily carry while traveling. I couldn't find one and so I made four prototypes. I stopped traveling and for a while left the idea of suitcase guitars.

Recently, while looking back on 60 years of guitar playing, I decided to revisit the various sizes of guitars in order to reassess what is most comfortable for me. The small ones were fun, but too small for my comfort level.

I've settled on instruments somewhere around 3/4 size and currently have a
Blackbird Savoy as my quality guitar and an Ovation AN13 as my beater.

Thanks Evan for sharing. You seemed to have nailed your research. I have played guitars of all sizes when I was growing up. My favorite was a 580mm Maple Spruce top, the balance was really amazing. I still play it from time to time .

Here is a video that I recorded with the 580mm in 2007 if you like to have a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCLdZP8NBng

regards
Kevin Loh
Old 07-30-2021, 05:33 PM
Guest 928

KEVIN;

the site noted does not work, does not go to your video???
Old 07-30-2021, 08:47 PM

Hello Evan,

I bought a Cordoba Protege 1/4 to teach classical guitar to my 3 sons. It is good value for the money, the intonation is decent, and the guitar is still alive after being mistreated by my two oldest boys! To me, it seems quite small for an adult instrument but if just used as a travel guitar I guess it could be okay.

Kind Regards,

https://www.youtube.com/c/AntoinePansera
Old 07-31-2021, 07:19 AM
Guest 928

Supra;

The survival of your Protege despite the best efforts of two boys is laudable. The Protege had been mentioned several time in this thread and I have taken a look at it (and all the other great Cordoba offerings). The Mini II EB-CE suits my play to a T, has electronics, and while small is an easy transition from my 3/4 sized instruments.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optichero View Post
Thanks Evan for sharing. You seemed to have nailed your research. I have played guitars of all sizes when I was growing up. My favorite was a 580mm Maple Spruce top, the balance was really amazing. I still play it from time to time .

Here is a video that I recorded with the 580mm in 2007 if you like to have a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCLdZP8NBng

regards
Kevin Loh
Nice playing, Kevin. Nice tone you had there when you were young.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:31 AM
Guest 928

Just saw the video. What a nice piece of work! the music is a delight and the play is marvelous.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical