The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-14-2021, 09:13 AM

Default Double Cut Taylors?

Does anyone here have a double-cutaway Taylor electric guitar; the SB2-S?

I'm looking for one in either the blue or the emerald green...
Old 05-14-2021, 10:00 AM

Good luck finding a double-cut, period - much less one in a specific color. FWIW the solids were kind of a dead-end venture for Taylor - they didn't sell that many of them to begin with, and TMK the double-cuts were only available for the last year or so of their approximately six-year production run; I say if you can find one in decent condition in any color, buy it - you're not likely to find another...

If you're interested, fellow AGF member Fazool is kind of the in-house Taylor solidbody expert: heluva nice guy (did some business with him recently) and very knowledgeable regarding potential sources - you might want to try reaching out to him for suggestions...
Old 05-14-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
Does anyone here have a double-cutaway Taylor electric guitar; the SB2-S?

I'm looking for one in either the blue or the emerald green...
What Steve D. said. Also, you might consider that spare parts are pretty scarce for those, and my impression is that there are a couple of components that you are likely to need.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
What Steve D. said. Also, you might consider that spare parts are pretty scarce for those, and my impression is that there are a couple of components that you are likely to need.
Such as?

I know they were a dead-end, but haven't heard much at all in the way about quality complaints.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Good luck finding a double-cut, period - much less one in a specific color. FWIW the solids were kind of a dead-end venture for Taylor - they didn't sell that many of them to begin with, and TMK the double-cuts were only available for the last year or so of their approximately six-year production run; I say if you can find one in decent condition in any color, buy it - you're not likely to find another...

If you're interested, fellow AGF member Fazool is kind of the in-house Taylor solidbody expert: heluva nice guy (did some business with him recently) and very knowledgeable regarding potential sources - you might want to try reaching out to him for suggestions...
+1...Fazool is the first guy I thought of who may have some info.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
Such as?

I know they were a dead-end, but haven't heard much at all in the way about quality complaints.
Just going from memory here, but I think the bridges were subject to breaking pretty easily somehow. I think Google could get you details pretty easily from other forums (I don't remember where I read it), or as Steve said Fazool almost certainly know the ins and outs of all this. But, like the period after ownership changes where Parkers had some pretty serious quality problems, I'd hate to see someone buy one and be unaware of potential problems like finding replacement parts. I assume if you're looking at them you already know that one of the reasons they were a dead end was that most of their hardware was not inerchangeable with third-party stuff.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Just going from memory here, but I think the bridges were subject to breaking pretty easily somehow. I think Google could get you details pretty easily from other forums (I don't remember where I read it), or as Steve said Fazool almost certainly know the ins and outs of all this. But, like the period after ownership changes where Parkers had some pretty serious quality problems, I'd hate to see someone buy one and be unaware of potential problems like finding replacement parts. I assume if you're looking at them you already know that one of the reasons they were a dead end was that most of their hardware was not inerchangeable with third-party stuff.
Oh, yeah, I realize everything was pretty much proprietary...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars