The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Guest 928

Mike;

The size will approximate the X10N and the nut width will be 1 7/8. Beyond that, things change. The top will be different, there will be slot-head tuners, there may be some interesting curves and bevels, there could be some eye candy.

And yes, I too am very interested to see what happens. I am not a rich guy and feel fortunate to be a part of CF nylon string development. But I am a minor partner in this guitar;most of this guitar is pretty much up to Alistair.

He knows I want nylon strings and he knows I love the fret board on my X10N--it plays as easy and sweet as an electric and I can grab chords up to the 16th fret.

I considered a woody, but decided to be as CF-bound as some players are wood-bound. So whatever emerges, it will be carbon fiber. As to the weave, the thickness, the taper, the color--up to Alistair.

Alistair's task is not easy. Rainsong, a father in the development of CF guitars, has, in my estimation, had many failures in its attempts at a good nylon string guitar. The marvelous Rainsong nylon string Parlor is the result of persistence, creativity, and desire. The task in front of Alistair is not only to reach beyond the Parlor, he must reach beyond his own creations, the X10N and the X20-OSN.

So, I figure my patience is nothing compared to the anxiety I help bring to Alistair's world. I'm just sitting on my porch, waiting for the airship to come in.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:05 AM

Bringing this back to the top lest we forget a new Emerald nylon string is being magically concocted by leprechauns over in Ireland
Old 12-02-2015, 10:38 PM

Hey Alistair,

Update us please.....the carbon fiber faction needs to know
Old 12-04-2015, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'm just sitting on my porch, waiting for the airship to come in.
Me too... it's been over 5 months since I put down a firm order for this thing.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Guest 928

Strum;

I suspect that I hold the record for wait time. I do find myself bouncing up and down on the tips of my toes sometimes, but I calm myself down with the realization that what I have coming is a custom guitar, something that I've had a hand in developing; and then I get a stiff drink and console myself with the guitars I have at hand. I have had two custom Emeralds and one limited edition Blackbird and they were all worth the wait. I don't know what you've ordered, but I'll bet the time you've waited will not seem too important relative to the guitar you get.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I think I sort of ordered what you ordered about the time you ordered it.

It will have a thinner neck.

Anyway, I've tried the stiff drink therapy, but it seems to wear off by the next day.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Guest 928

Strum;

Maybe two stiff drinks and a smoke?? Did you order electronics with yours? I've become an advocate of the K&K and that's what I want with my new order.

I find the wait to be painful, but in the big picture, the wait is a good time for anticipation.

I do sometimes worry about Alistair. He has chosen a niche of specialty instruments and I know that that such a niche is often accompanied by numerous false trails. He has admitted that he has screwed a ceiling of failed attempts at his studio and who knows, you and I may have added to his failed attempts. What I do know is that what he sends out is stellar.

Hang in there. I count you as a brother in wait.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Guest 928

I just heard from Alistair. My guitar is almost ready to fly. Part of the reason this instrument has taken so long is that it is somewhat a prototype for the second generation X10, or what might be called an X10-2. Or, in my case, an X10N2.

In any event I expect to see some change in body shape, considerable change in face material/build, and there will probably be some nice surprises. It's almost like Christmas.

One interesting aspect of this is that I have one of Alistair's first Emerald nylon X10Ns and will now have the pleasure of comparing it with a second generation based on years of R&D. Stay tuned....
Old 12-09-2015, 05:31 PM

Great news. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Guest 928

I think this is called "being there." I think of those of us on this forum as being there, at the point, bringing in a new world instrument. Sweet!
Old 12-10-2015, 05:59 AM

Great news Evan! Make sure you get the photograph portfolio from Alistair...we'll need to experience the X10N2 (as you dubbed it) vicariously through the visual medium
Old 12-10-2015, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Evan, I'm sure it is worth the wait. I ordered my Flow bass in mid January of this year and when Alistair was going to build it, he realized he needed a new mould. He also incorporated some new design changes and my guitar arrived mid October. It is spectacular and more than worth the wait. -- Darwin
Old 12-19-2015, 08:20 AM

Do you now have an ETA Evan? It's your guitar and the wait on this is killing me! :-)
Old 12-19-2015, 09:04 AM

Like the others who have keeping an eye on this purchase we are excited to see the outcome. Its not my guitar but I almost feel like its coming to me.

Cant wait to see the pics and your review.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Guest 928

New2: No ETA.

John: It's been so long I thought it might have gone to you.

In any event, I hope to one day tune in to this forum and see pictures of my future X10N2. It would be nice if Alistair would also offer a video of a good player playing the new guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber