The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-15-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I recently bought an Epiphone Dot Studio from MF and was impressed-- it played better than a custom Epiphone Dot with gold hardware that I traded off a year ago--not a real Gibson but pretty close for under $200...
those anlicos scream!...but,......just play a 335 once..just once....i'm not saying you'll like it better but, you'll notice a "difference"....

btw,...that dot studio is a killer blues axe, no?...heavy as lead , though!

yeah, i have one, too...
Old 06-16-2007, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC View Post
I've played several recently and my honest opinion is that they are not worth the money, I was not impressed at all with the fit and finish of the ones I played, yes they did sound great but no better that one of these, Epiphone Sheraton II
I have an older one and it plays and sounds incredible.

I would suggest that you A and B one with an ES335 to see if you really feel paying 4X as much is worth it.

JMHO

Rick
As one who has recently crossed over to the electric side, I'd be inclined to agree with Rick unless you just have to have a 335. I just bought an "as new" Epi Sheraton II on Ebay, and really saved a bundle. More knowledgeable folks than me say that putting in a couple of Gibson 57 pickups makes this a 335 beater at a much lower price. I got my Epi w/hsc and an equally little used Vox AD30VT amp all for less than the best price of a new Sheraton II w/o case from Musician's Friend or GC. If this is about bragging rights, why not buy a used Epi Sheraton II, pop in a couple of Gibson 57s, and (to paraphrase Murphy Brown) glue a couple of thusand dollar bills to the top.........
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I smell desperation..........http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=255531
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-27-2007, 08:29 PM

I recently got one of these:

http://www.austingtr.com/products.php?CatID=1&PageID=8

If you want to try out a "335" without a major investment, this is a good way.
I got an excellent deal on mine, because, for some reason, the Austin brand guitars hadn't moved very well in the local store; I think, because the name isn't a familiar one.
It compares very well with any of the Far-East-made guitars I've handled or owned. The fret-work is on par with the better Artcores, and the pickups are (to my ears) better sounding than the "Gibson Designed" Humbuckers that came on my Epi Joe Pass.
So far, the only thing I want to change is the tuners, but it's not really a case of them being bad; the "green-key" tuners that came on my Gibson BluesHawk were certainly no better. I just know that there are better ones to be had.
If you get a chance to "A-B" one with some other 335-types (or even real 335s) I think you'll see what I mean.
Hofner HF11 (stolen from me, Dec. 2013)
Lace Acela (stolen from me, Dec. 2013)

Hondo Banjo
Epiphone Masterbuilt banjo (stolen from me, Dec. 2013)
First Act Dulcimer
Oscar Schmidt Silvertone Autoharp
La Suprema Ukulele
First Act Lap Harp

I'll keep buying guitars, until I find one I know how to play!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 PM

I swore I'd never buy another electric guitar again, mostly because I feel that I have almost all the bases covered as far as tone goes, but,,,,,,, I think I'd make an exception for a 335. I've lusted for one since the 60's. Maybe after the next acoustic.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson ES-175
Guild FS-46-ce
PRS Custom 24
Fender Strat-plus (Amer)
Fender Telecaster (Amer)
Mesa-Boogie Mk,III Signature Ed.
Roland Jazz Chorus

Last edited by Bobby1note; 06-27-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 PM

I'll offer a different perspecitve. I have a 1964 ES-335 and I don't consider it to be a versaitle instrument. The neck humbucker through a clean or slightly overdriven Fender amp is to die for.

However, getting a controlled higher gain, midrangey rock tone at higher volumes is not easily accomplished with this semi-hollow instrument. The bridge pickup will squeal and feedback very easily.

Also, I don't think the humbuckers (neck, bridge or combination) have an "acoustic" character at all. I think the neck and middle combination on a Strat is much better for a more hollow acoustic sound.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
If cost is a factor, you may want to test drive an Eastman....

Eastman Guitars

Thanks for giving me a bad case of GAS...
This a fine looking instrument.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:11 AM

There are some really nice MIJ clones made in the 70s around that are worth searching for. Here's a couple of shots of one I found:

and one here before I put the Bigsby on...
Old 06-28-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Thanks for giving me a bad case of GAS...
This a fine looking instrument.

I played this guitar. It is sweet. I also have a Epi Dot whose pickups I swapped out for a pair of Gibson 57 Classic Plus pickups. Now this guitar is also sweet. A $220 upgrade and I can't tell the difference between my guitar and a Gibson ES 335 anymore. Maybe someone else could, but I am happy.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:36 AM

Haven't seen any one mention Yamaha yet so here goes. Had a chance to play the the SA2200 recently and the neck is like buttah. Was able to pick up a 1980's SA800 on Ebay recently for around $600 and I can say that the workmanship is A+ with that smooth, thick tone that is very versatile. Can't really compare it to an ES335 only because I have never had the chance.
Yamahs are a great way to get started on this sound. Lots of studio guys have made the the SA2000 a favorite. Hard to find, though.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
There are some really nice MIJ clones made in the 70s around that are worth searching for. Here's a couple of shots of one I found:

and one here before I put the Bigsby on...
nice axe! and i really like the bigsby addition...gotta love some tremolo!
Old 04-27-2021, 06:56 AM

Default 335

Got to love the 335,had one years ago,sold it, and missed that thing a lot.Just bought a 58 reissue GREAT...
Old 04-27-2021, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I agree that the Gibson ES-335 and clones of it are very versatile guitars, good for rock, jazz, and especially blues. Chuck Berry used an ES-345 (essentially an ES-335) for Johnny B. Goode. BB King's Lucille was an ES-335. Eric Clapton has done a lot of blues with an ES-335.

I have owned a wine red (burgundy color) Gibson ES-335 since 1978. Mine has a pole splitting switch, which is a little unusual, and I have used it a lot. I love my old ES-335. I used it professionally for years. It has some absolutely great sounding humbuckers on it.

- Glenn

PS: Interesting that this thread is so old!

Last edited by Glennwillow; 04-27-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:10 PM

I certainly like them!
Old 04-28-2021, 09:48 AM

Thinline hollow-bodies and semi-hollow-bodies do have a reputation for versatility. Of course it's the player that makes up the most of that (and the amp and what else is being used to alter the sound highly important), but they can have a little extra character from the body cavity.

In the past few years I've sort of gone on a kick with that type of guitar myself, buying an Epi 335 (nice enough sounding with the stock pickups), an Epi 339 (smaller body, and mine has P90 wide single coils) and then just this spring I got a Guild import line Starfire I Jet 90 (three, count'em, three P90 type pickups).

Let me put in a pitch for considering P90 pickups instead of humbuckers. Obviously the humbucker 335 type guitars can sound great, but I think the P90 offers more versatility. Both my 339 and Starfire react well to changes in volume and pick attack, and when you turn up the guitars volume, the 339 can drive the front end of an amp as much or more than the corresponding Epi 335's humbuckers. But turned down and plucked more softly they have a lovely clarity.

Another factor. I'm been presently surprised at how much acoustic character seems to leak into the recorded signal with the Starfire, and I now have a theory why this might be: I think the pickups on it are more microphonic than many. In high gain/high volume situations microphonic reaction is considered a problem, and at old school stage volumes it could lead to squealing that only a no-wave noise guitar maven could love. But at home volume, or on modern stages, I think this is less of a problem and more of a feature.

Anyway, I may have complicated your search, but let me circle back and say that if the look and feel of a 335 type attracts you, it's worth taking a dive into the shallow end of hollow guitars.

What kind of Fender amp is good with them? Depends on volume and how clean and defined you want things to say a particular volume, but that taken into account most Fender sounding amps work well with these guitars as long as you aren't seeking super high gain (doesn't sound like you are). I like mine though my old Princeton at lower volumes, and the my Hot Rod Deluxe can handle louder sounds well. If you don't need a lot of volume, the Fender Super Champ is a nice little inexpensive home volumes amp which I increasing think of as a modeling amp (with a tube power stage) for those that don't like modeling amps.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 04-28-2021 at 09:57 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars