The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2021, 11:39 AM

The flat picks I used were Dunlop Tortex. I don't hear anywhere near the pick attack with the Black Mountain.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 06-01-2021, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I found this interesting comparison video which includes the Black Mountain pick - might add to the discussion.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-01-2021, 05:06 PM

I got the jazz pick after reading the last post about them. It's so tight I can't use it.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-01-2021, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I got the jazz pick after reading the last post about them. It's so tight I can't use it.

I ordered the regular grip because I didn’t want it too tight. I was surprised they didn’t offer 3 sizes of grips since thumb size can vary quite a bit.
Best,
Jayne
Old 06-24-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
It's a new item. If you are on their website click on buy now and the first picture is the medium gage pick.

Granted, the website could give more information. I got the specs from Cole, the inventor of the pick. His contact is on the website.

My thoughts is the use the heavy gage with my mandolin and the mediums for guitar.

Oh yea, if you are not certain on the thickness you want they offer a combo package of 4 picks. Two of each.
So the medium gauge is .7 mm at the tip? (Would it have been so hard for them to put this on their website?!)
Old 06-27-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickw12 View Post
So the medium gauge is .7 mm at the tip? (Would it have been so hard for them to put this on their website?!)
To be honest, the thickness could be an apples to oranges comparison as the plastic is not a usual pick plastic. It's more flexible and I may be wrong, but I think it's a kind of polypropylene. The flexibility is more akin to a Fred Kelley speedpick, but it's not the same plastic, and also not that flexible.

You'll only know if you like it by purchasing one and trying it. Mine has become my "go to" since I received it about six weeks ago.

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion