The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-24-2021, 02:28 AM

Default A Nice Gretsch Sound

I put a different bridge on my Gretsch G6128T DuoJet, a Gretsch SynchroSonic (ie Melita), which tightened up the intonation over the bar bridge that I had on it.

I thought I was going to lose some tone as a trade-off, but I was pleasantly surprised with the new tone, it kind of smoothed out the the top end. And it works great with the Bigsby!

So I recorded this little ditty/demo of it. Reminds me of something Joe Walsh would have done in the early part of his solo career (The Smoker You Drink, So What, etc)...

Old 06-24-2021, 06:35 PM

What wonderful playing. Sweet, soulful, inventive. And the guitar sounds great. What was the rest of your chain (amp, mics, etc.)?

(And yeah, that’s a very early-70s sound, in the best possible way.)
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 06-24-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
What wonderful playing. Sweet, soulful, inventive. And the guitar sounds great. What was the rest of your chain (amp, mics, etc.)?

(And yeah, that’s a very early-70s sound, in the best possible way.)
Thanks for the kind words...

The early 70's sound is the sound, it's where I live! But the way I get it may throw you, my recording chain is mostly modern.

My guitar - Drawmer 1960 tube preamp - RME Babyface Interface - Amplitube Fender 2 Custom Tweed Pro Amp Sim with '63 Reverb plug-in.

I own some beautiful vintage tube amps, but this Tweed Pro sim just sounds like the tone in my head!

When mixing I typically use a low pass filter on the top end to give a touch more vintage feel as I find most modern guitar recordings a bit too bright for me.

I'm glad you like the 70's sound, here's more of my stuff with that sound, and these were recorded with vintage amps ...

Old 06-24-2021, 08:14 PM

That really sounded nice.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antvas1963 View Post
That really sounded nice.
Thank You!
Old 06-25-2021, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

What a great sound Daniel! I was expecting the typical Gretsch twang; your recording was a surprise.

I really like this! (Of course, I like the typical Gretsch twang, too!)

- Glenn
Old 06-26-2021, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
What a great sound Daniel! I was expecting the typical Gretsch twang; your recording was a surprise.

I really like this! (Of course, I like the typical Gretsch twang, too!)

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn, I like the Gretsch TWANG too, but somehow when I pick up a guitar it always winds up sounding like me Especially when I write the ditty, because I hear the tone in my head, and then I turn the knobs on the amp (or the amp sim), until I get there.

Kind of like your singing voice, you do excellent covers of songs getting all the right inflections, yet I can always tell you voice, and I like that! We are what we are!
Old 06-26-2021, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Lovely guitar, guitar tone, and playing. I too have A 6128. Where did you purchase the bridge if you don’t mind my asking.

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful Gretsch.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 06-26-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Lovely guitar, guitar tone, and playing. I too have A 6128. Where did you purchase the bridge if you don’t mind my asking.

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful Gretsch.
Thanks! I got the bridge used at Music Go Round, I see them occasionally on reverb.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Thanks Glenn, I like the Gretsch TWANG too, but somehow when I pick up a guitar it always winds up sounding like me Especially when I write the ditty, because I hear the tone in my head, and then I turn the knobs on the amp (or the amp sim), until I get there.

Kind of like your singing voice, you do excellent covers of songs getting all the right inflections, yet I can always tell you voice, and I like that! We are what we are!
Yes, I hear that in your playing! You get some great tones for sure!

Take care Daniel!

- Glenn
Old 06-27-2021, 01:11 PM

Been playing Gretsch since 1964, and they're much more than just twang; thing is, until relatively recently almost nobody outside of Brooklyn realized this. Back in the day they were our hometown brand (my grandparents lived two blocks from the old 60 Broadway factory, and just down the street from the drum warehouse), inevitably our first "good" guitar, and had to serve as our all-purpose instrument regardless of genre - glad to see more players discovering their versatility...
Old 06-27-2021, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I put a different bridge on my Gretsch G6128T DuoJet, a Gretsch SynchroSonic (ie Melita), which tightened up the intonation over the bar bridge that I had on it.

I thought I was going to lose some tone as a trade-off, but I was pleasantly surprised with the new tone, it kind of smoothed out the the top end. And it works great with the Bigsby!

So I recorded this little ditty/demo of it. Reminds me of something Joe Walsh would have done in the early part of his solo career (The Smoker You Drink, So What, etc)...

Sounds great rockabilly69! Love your tones, love Gretschs!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 06-27-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Been playing Gretsch since 1964, and they're much more than just twang; thing is, until relatively recently almost nobody outside of Brooklyn realized this. Back in the day they were our hometown brand (my grandparents lived two blocks from the old 60 Broadway factory, and just down the street from the drum warehouse), inevitably our first "good" guitar, and had to serve as our all-purpose instrument regardless of genre - glad to see more players discovering their versatility...
I'm with you Steve, I've been Gretsches for years. When I was in my last touring band, my main guitar was a DuoJet, and I covered a lot of tonal ground with it. And we didn't play any twang music.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Sounds great rockabilly69! Love your tones, love Gretches!
Thank you Sir! I love Gretsches too I have a 6120T '55vs, and 6118T SGR, and the 6128T DuoJet

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars