The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-23-2021, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Now what?

I have never written a song - chords or lyrics. However, the title came to me in a dream. A place that is now a ghost town covered in trees, but when I get there the name only in reverberates in my dreams, a place that has never really gone, even though the pine trees have wiped it off the map long ago.

Where do I go from here?
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 06-23-2021, 04:52 PM

I don't know where you should go from there, but if it was my dream song title I'd sit down with a guitar in hand, close my eyes and use my mind to conjure images of that ghost town and pine trees while I noodle with chords or melody on the instrument trying to come up with music that complements my vision. YMMV

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-23-2021, 05:43 PM

You have a title, and maybe a general idea (and a few lyrics you can pull from what you wrote here).

One way to proceed, especially if you've never written a song from scratch, would be to stealXXXXXborrow some ideas from songs you like that match the feel you want the song to have. Find a chord progression (fwiw, those can't be copyrighted) and play with it--change the chord order a bit, or add some others. Melodically, grab a few notes you like--an ascending line here, a rhythmic bit there, and tweak or combine them. If you use the other songs as a base to play with, and don't just copy large chunks outright, chances are it will come out "yours" and not like the original.

Lyrically, it's like writing a poem. One way I sometimes approach it is to write out what I want to capture in prose. Just write it out. Then, once you know the gist of what you want to say, you can spend time with a rhyming dictionary and thesaurus (lots of free online ones) to take your original thoughts and find words that make things more lyrical, and fit the music.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:52 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Find images on the net that fits your dream and throw it into something like Windows movie maker and make a slide show out of it and see what that does for your creativity. Maybe it might help.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-24-2021, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
I have never written a song - chords or lyrics. However, the title came to me in a dream. A place that is now a ghost town covered in trees, but when I get there the name only in reverberates in my dreams, a place that has never really gone, even though the pine trees have wiped it off the map long ago.

Where do I go from here?
Google natural succession.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write