The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-11-2021, 09:08 AM

Default small cheap amps

personally, i think they're all overpriced, and the used prices are ridiculous, i guess the top 3 seem to be the marshall mg10, frontman 10g and orange 12, the rest arent much different though, however at my garage sale, i couldnt pass on the $40 i was offered for the mg10, however i missed it as a decor amp sitting on top my peavey, i couldnt fine a sensible price on the replacement, then i ran across a $20 Stone SGA-10, totally impressed with this small amp and think it beats the top 3 hands down! it looks like an mg10 but with a 2 gain controls and master volume,gold face plating, semi open back design and large enough case to cram an 8" in it, cant find much enough at all on stone amps, but glad i ran across this, its gets a lot of practice use these days
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 06-11-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
Personally, I think they're all overpriced, and the used prices are ridiculous. I guess the top 3 seem to be the Marshall MG10, Frontman 10g and Orange 12...
Unfortunately it's a sellers' market these days - new or used - so if you're shopping for bargains, IMO you made the right move by going with an off-brand amp; in the grand scheme, though, I'd either plan on keeping it for the very long haul (shouldn't be an issue if it sounds as good as you say it does) or flipping it on the private market while the getting is good, for about 2-3 times what you paid for it - again, if it sounds that good and you're undercutting the price of a used Fender/Marshall/Orange IMO someone'll grab it for $40-60...
Old 06-14-2021, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I had a small Stone bass amp back around '85 or '86, purchased new. It was the first amp I ever owned. I played guitar through it, as well as bass. I've never seen or heard of another one. I don't know anything about the company, and besides me, you are the only person I've ever heard of who owned one.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I briefly had an MG10 and quickly realized I hated it..........I can't believe Marshall puts their name on it. Reminds me of the Cadillac Cimarron

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars