The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-27-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Yeah the “Player series” are MIM Fenders, and seems like that new rebranding also came with a significant price hike. I just hope Fender has addressed their QC issues. My guitar came with a bad input jack, and the factory bridge wasn’t aligned correctly which is why I ended up upgrading it. Back when I got mine (2013 Tele Cabronita) the typical MIM Fender retailed anywhere from $500 to $750 or so depending on pickups and other features. These new Player series seems to start at $750. Yeah I wouldn’t expect a late model player series selling for under $500 on the used market. But anything MIM ten years or older, shouldn’t go for $500+. Ymmv of course.
They haven't. While I love my Fender, from playing a few dozen in stores they were hit and miss. Even $2k Ultras were a flip of the coin if they'd be good or not.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
I wasn't arguing, I was genuinely asking. Because if a MIM Tele was able for $300-$400, I'd probably jump on that pretty quickly.

I did not take into account how the market changed in such a short time. Like I said, I bought my MIM Tele new in 2013 for $550. And that was the going price for MIM Fenders. 2013 wasn’t that long ago, I had no idea the MIM line went up over $200 in such a short time.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:23 PM

no worries. and apologies if my tone came across aggressively in the previous post (that wasn't my intention).
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 05-27-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
no worries. and apologies if my tone came across aggressively in the previous post (that wasn't my intention).

None needed, I wasn’t offended, and it made me research the current market and my jaw dropped to the floor when I searched the prices for the Player series. You can find a used American Standard for a bit more than a new Player series.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:25 AM

i see you got a lot suggestions, probably enough to make you head swim, my advice is -try- its not about what it cost, most top name products are over rated and overpriced, any guitar/ amp combo will favor a unique blend- for the guitar, play what feels right,as far as amps go, amps, i have both tubes and SS, took a good while (and many amps) to find out what i preferred , personally, i got sick of modeling amps
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 06-07-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
Thanks all. This is helpful. To help clarify:

1. IÂ’m totally fine with used. I also have a brother in law who plays, who can likely help me assess whether something used is broken.

2. For now, IÂ’m thinking a home practice rig. If I need to play out, I can get a new amp then, but this would be for playing at home will the kids sleep, and practicing.

3. IÂ’d like a range of sonic options. I donÂ’t listen to metal, but would like to play a range of 70s rock and more modern 90s stuff. Like The Band, maybe some Pink Floyd, but also Green Day. Stuff my parents played me, and stuff I listened to in high school, basically.
Have you bought your rig yet? I was in a similar situation as you a few months back. As far as guitars go, lots of good suggestions here, so I feel like there's nothing to add.

As far as amps and sound options, I have a solid state amp, a valve amp, and an audio interface.

If you want the most options possible, you might want to look into the audio interface/DAW route. I was actually having low expectations with this, but I was very impressed with the quality. My solid state amp has a AUX/Line in so I just hook it up to my computer and set the sound output to my amp so I can play literally hundreds of amps from the software. Turns my SS amp into any of those amps and I can play silently with good tone.

Of course, nothing beats the feel and the tone of a valve amp but if you go for this route, you will have a bit of a problem with volume issues, luckily I don't, so I use this is as my main amp if I just want a simple plug and play.

I think many will say go for a solid state amp or a hybrid, but I just want to offer the DAW route to you. If you go for solid state, perhaps get one with an AUX in, then get an audio interface so you can hook it up to your computer like I do and play hundreds of models and make it come out of one amp. Mine is a Vox Valvetronix and it's AUX in is used to play your mp3 player for jamming along backing tracks.

I also find using the audio interface is handy for improvement becuase it's fun to make tracks, record yourself and hear yourself. Beats the boredom of not being able to play with people in these times.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:06 AM

I had the same desire to get into a relatively inexpensive setup.

I bought a G&L Tele and a Roland Blues Cube Hot amp.

Less than $1000 for the pair. The Roland is SS, fairly small and light. I can set it at half a watt for practice at home and use the 30 at gigs, which is plenty for playing in bars. For larger places mike it or run out the back to the mixer.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

After reading all the suggestions and options, I can confirm, yet again, that we are living in the golden age for guitars. It is amazing what can be had for so little money.

I can't add anything except for my own opinion.

I like Gretsch guitars. If you can swing it, go for the Electromatic series. If not, the new Streamliners are very good guitars for little money. I would take a new Streamliner over any Epiphone, Fender or Squier in the same price range, but that is JMO...And I am not saying any of those guitars are bad, only that the new Gretsch models are that good...For amps, I also like the Boss Katana MK2 50w, or a Fender Super Champ X2.

I can also highly recommend the Fender Mustang Micro. Its $100 well spent. Such a cool little device. Simply amazing, really.

I own everything I recommended, or I would not bother. All of the gear I mentioned is solid, versatile, and a lot of fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars