The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-07-2021, 02:38 PM
Guest 928

Rudy;

Thank you for the string-tie info. That is the kind of thing needed with some of the baritone ukuleles that I've been trying out.

I appreciate your thoughts regarding the Ibanez but my past experiments of nylon strings on steel string instruments tell me that I would not be happy with the result and that it would be one more step that I'd like to miss.

I will probably be going for the Godin, but I want to sell the Kremona before I do any more buying. As it is I'm sitting here with a mini O-CE and a mini II EB-CE, an Emerald X10, and the Kremona. I've got enough guitars for a quartet but only two hands, and I'm trying to thin the herd not increase and multiply.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Hey Evan,
I understand and share your affinity for the pear shaped, nylon string guitar.

I picked up a used Art & Lutherie AMI nylon for a couple hundred dollars pre-pandemic. It’s an almost identical instrument to the Godin Motif( minus some superficial differences). I am happy using it as my “work place” guitar. Though it has a solid cedar top the laminate back and sides make it less worrisome for me relative to my other wooden instruments.

One other guitar to consider:
The Harmony Co. made a nylon parlor from 68-72, I think. The model is 910: solid spruce over solid mahogany, 25.5 scale and a 2 inch nut.
I have been watching these for years. Unfortunately many if not most of these older Harmony guitars need a neck reset. Also, they often have their bridge screwed to the top- resolving the recurring lifting bridge issue, apparently.

Sometimes folks are selling them without actually knowing what it is.
F-70 means it was made in the Fall of 1970:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Harmo...2349624.m46890.

Good luck with your search,
Tom
Old 06-08-2021, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

This fellow is playing a 910 made before 70-(the ring rosette). Sounds pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LpZTktEfkE
Old 06-08-2021, 09:37 AM
Guest 928

TRose;

Thank you. A sidebar of your offerings showed an Aria A 19C--WOW!

In any event, I've pulled the plug on the Godin and now it's just matter of waiting.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:42 AM

Curious what your budget for wood instruments is.

Interestingly, I have a lowish ceiling for carbon fiber... the opposite.

Was just looking at some smaller bodied wood instruments & various replicas (including from Cordoba, the manufacturer of your mini... though like previous ones mentioned on another forum, likely beyond...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Mike;

Just WOW! The Staffer, Lacote, Panormo, and Wolfgang instruments are iconic. And beyond what I am currently willing to pay. I've just finished exploring 10 carbon fiber nylon string instruments and did not mind paying the price. But in moving back to wooden instruments, and a shape that I have not previously tried, I am not willing to reach for the high fruit.

I tried the Sinsonado and have recently purchased the Mini II EB-CE. The Sinsonado was cool but not as nice as the Yamaha silent guitar. I'm liking the Mini, and on the lookout for the Motif.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-11-2021 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 06-10-2021, 12:00 PM
Guest 928

Wukulele;

Ten years ago when I was marching through fields of wooden nylon strung guitars I would go up to several thousand dollars--took me a while to edge up that high but it took me a while to figure out exactly what I needed and wanted.

My carbon fiber lust began with the low priced Cargo and then moved up to a bit more than $3,000 for custom instruments.

I should also point out that it's not as if I'm rich. I'm in my late 70s and for most of my life I lived the philosophy that being rich is living below your means.

I also have few indulgences--I don't golf, boat, hunt, womanize, or spend a lot on what I wear. All of which leaves me some special dispensation when it comes to my guitar buying--even my wife, who is a frugal person, cuts me lots of slack when it comes to guitars.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:56 PM

Default Loved my old 00-28c

Hey Evan and Ken,

Used to own a Martin 00-28c, one of the first guitars I learned on. Bought it for about $300 with case in a pawn shop in 1972... It was almost spanking new, not a scratch on it... Sold it two years later for $600... wish I hadn't needed to sell it, but college books back then were expensive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical