The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-24-2021, 07:21 AM

Default What's my next step?

I have a Trinity College Octave Mandolin that I quite like and use at jams sessions and live shows. When I first bought it used (mint), I had it set up by a very respected music store, which was about three years ago. The setup was done well, but I have always struggled with fret buzz on the A string when I dig in. The strings on the OM are of a higher gauge than most TC mandolins ship with, but the tech doing the work did the set up with these strings. I would say the action is on the higher side, but since I like to dig in, I requested that.

I am just wondering what my next steps should be to remedy the A string fret buzz? Would this potentially be a nut issue or should I be asking for a fret leveling?

To add to that, my Larrivee OM-03 has a very similar issue as well. The low E string buzzes but the rest of the strings are fine. I even have the action fairly high right now and it still does it. I am wondering if whatever I ask for with the OM, I should also get done to the Larrivee.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:33 AM

If it's only one string it might be the nut.
Does it still buzz when fretted.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:51 AM

I also play an octave mandolin (22" scale). I think you need to go up a few thousandths heavier for the A. There was a thread on this very topic recently on the Mandolin Cafe. Some suggested mandola strings. Not sure what gauge you're using now. Here's D'Addario's offerings:
J80 OM strings 0.022" A string
J76 Mandola strings 0.025" A string (wound)
J72 Bluegrass Mandola strings 0.023" A string (wound)

Another thing I've done on my mandolins for similar issues is to file down the E string part of the saddle by about 1/32" or so and then raise the whole treble side of the saddle by that amount, effectively keeping the E string at the same height but raising the A. Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
If it's only one string it might be the nut.
Does it still buzz when fretted.
It typically only buzzes when fretted, but now that you mention it, it might do it open as well. I will check that today.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
I also play an octave mandolin (22" scale). I think you need to go up a few thousandths heavier for the A. There was a thread on this very topic recently on the Mandolin Cafe. Some suggested mandola strings. Not sure what gauge you're using now. Here's D'Addario's offerings:
J80 OM strings 0.022" A string
J76 Mandola strings 0.025" A string (wound)
J72 Bluegrass Mandola strings 0.023" A string (wound)

Another thing I've done on my mandolins for similar issues is to file down the E string part of the saddle by about 1/32" or so and then raise the whole treble side of the saddle by that amount, effectively keeping the E string at the same height but raising the A. Hope this helps.
Thanks! Right now I am using Mandola strings (15-52) so pretty heavy. I don't think I can go any heavier than that but the A string is 25 already. That's why I am a bit confused. It kind of seems to be another issue. I am really thinking the nut needs to be recut.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I've preferred D'Addario Mandola EJ72 (.014, .023, .034, .049) on my Trinity College Octave Mandolin for years. No issues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair