The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2021, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.blay View Post
As far as tone/sound difference, see for yourself. Here's a pretty good comparison video. Click on the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADhE4fFTU8M
Well, I listened to the clip using two different headphone sets and I could hear a difference between the two guitars. But, I was hugely disappointed in how boring and unbalanced BOTH those two Taylor 814ce guitars were when played acoustically in that video. There was no character there at all, no dynamics and just a mess of a sound. I hate to say it, but if he had picked up a cheap rosewood laminate Yamaha FG830 and had that as a 3rd guitar in that test, I expect that it would have sounded better - better balanced and more character.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Well, I listened to the clip using two different headphone sets and I could hear a difference between the two guitars. But, I was hugely disappointed in how boring and unbalanced BOTH those two Taylor 814ce guitars were when played acoustically in that video. There was no character there at all, no dynamics and just a mess of a sound. I hate to say it, but if he had picked up a cheap rosewood laminate Yamaha FG830 and had that as a 3rd guitar in that test, I expect that it would have sounded better - better balanced and more character.
My thoughts exactly. That model of guitar, and what I assume are Elixir strings, are just a mess of metallic brightness.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion