The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-15-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
Thats why I come here. Tips like that. I'd never think of that.
We aim to please
Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-16-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
The steam method will fix it adequatley.

Apply damp cloth to surface, apply a heated butter knife to the damp rag, make the blade hot enough that when you touch the rag it creates steam.

Repeat as required
Are you sure this is safe to try on the fingerboard?
Old 10-16-2018, 07:38 AM

Being shown how to do something vee the Internet is not the same as being shown in person, so no guarantees are expressed or implied, I merely show what we in the trade do to fix said problems.

Many people believe they can do what we do every day by reading a line in a paragraph written by someone they do not know, they may or may not be able to do it.

If the job is beyond your comfort zone, then pay someone to do it, knowing it’s not a big job

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-16-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Being shown how to do something vee the Internet is not the same as being shown in person, so no guarantees are expressed or implied, I merely show what we in the trade do to fix said problems.

Many people believe they can do what we do every day by reading a line in a paragraph written by someone they do not know, they may or may not be able to do it.

If the job is beyond your comfort zone, then pay someone to do it, knowing it’s not a big job

Steve
Please answer the question The pictures show a repair of a ding on the side of the guitar, not a fretboard. Do these same techniques work on a rosewood fretboard?

I am just asking for advice here. I never claim to be able to replace professionals that do this stuff every day for a living. If it's out of my comfort zone then I will for sure take it to my tech.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Please answer the question The pictures show a repair of a ding on the side of the guitar, not a fretboard. Do these same techniques work on a rosewood fretboard?
The fretboard is unfinished wood. Water and steam will not mark it. Just keep the heated metal away from the wood so it doesn't burn it. Even if you did scorch it, you just sand it down to clean wood.

The guitar side had to be finish-repaired.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
The fretboard is unfinished wood. Water and steam will not mark it. Just keep the heated metal away from the wood so it doesn't burn it. Even if you did scorch it, you just sand it down to clean wood.

The guitar side had to be finish-repaired.
Thank you.

So the wet towel touches the wood and the heated metal never actually does, right? How long (aprox) do I hold it on the spot?
Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 AM

I use a small piece of folded paper towel that just covers the dented area. Saturate the towel with water. Apply hot soldering gun's flat tip to the towel. Remove heat before all water steams away. Repeat until dent "grows" back to flush (or close to it).
Old 10-16-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
I use a small piece of folded paper towel that just covers the dented area. Saturate the towel with water. Apply hot soldering gun's flat tip to the towel. Remove heat before all water steams away. Repeat until dent "grows" back to flush (or close to it).
the trick here is not to raise all the wood that's surrounding the "dents".
I think only something with a small pen-like tip would work here. Something that would fit in the small indented grooves. Maybe the edge or tip of a knife or heat up the tip of a screwdriver?
Old 10-16-2018, 08:58 AM

Non-compressed wood will not be raised. Practice on some scraps until you know what result to expect.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:39 AM

Default layman's opinion

I think OP would be well served to get a repair technician to address the fretboard dents. The job is not invasive, but I think the place to learn a new skill is probably not on a new instrument. There's any number of tools the repair person will have that we laypersons don't, and they make for a reliable and prompt repair. Might be a good time to get the frets leveled and adjusted, too, but that's an example of specification creep.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I think OP would be well served to get a repair technician to address the fretboard dents. The job is not invasive, but I think the place to learn a new skill is probably not on a new instrument. There's any number of tools the repair person will have that we laypersons don't, and they make for a reliable and prompt repair. Might be a good time to get the frets leveled and adjusted, too, but that's an example of specification creep.
I will get a trained guitar tech to at least look at it first. thanks
Old 10-16-2018, 01:09 PM

On the desert planet of Arrakis, we'd call that "worm sign".
Old 10-16-2018, 03:10 PM

I get that it's a drag, but if you like how the guitar sounds and plays, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're worried about resale value,... then maybe.

Remember marks on a guitar are "character," when selling, and "damage," when buying.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Please answer the question
Thought I answered it more than adequately, even supplied photos so mis-interpretation from my written response could be eliminated.

Any exposed - raw wood that has taken an impact and subsequently compressed the wood, can be steamed to make it better, be that a fretboard / neck / or body, the only issue that remains from said process is sometimes the wood is bruised from the impact, being a darkwood like rosewood it would be extremely hard to see that bruising

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-16-2018, 07:20 PM

Rule #6 after buying a new guitar: Never take a macro-lens to your guitar or look inside. You'll just bother yourself. Just play the guitar and enjoy it. I assume you purchased a B-stock guitar because of the great deal you received. Whether new or not, B-stock almost always means scratch-and-dent somewhere.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair