The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Guest 928

Git;

No no, you don't want to cancel now. What you want to do is order the 20 now and have a pair. Alistair would probably give you good deal for a second order.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Git;

No no, you don't want to cancel now. What you want to do is order the 20 now and have a pair. Alistair would probably give you good deal for a second order.
Hahaha, I wish, Zanman😢
Btw, you must have played just about all CFs. If still possible, should I change to X20 and avoid a possible overlap with Journey OF? Or would I never look back once I get my hands on X7 and ditch Journey. What do you think?
Old 10-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Hahaha, I wish, Zanman😢
Btw, you must have played just about all CFs. If still possible, should I change to X20 and avoid a possible overlap with Journey OF? Or would I never look back once I get my hands on X7 and ditch Journey. What do you think?
I would still get the X7. I was very unhappy with the Journey OF660 and returned mine almost immediately. I have one X7 and another nylon one on order, and there is no comparison in tone or quality of worksmanship. The Journey is definitely more conducive to flying, but I have never regretted returning it for the X7, not once. Your mileage my vary though so that is just my two cents...
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 10-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

It would seem to me that the OF660 and the X7, while both carbon fiber guitars, are different approaches. I haven't played the new version X7, but I assume it is more of everything that makes the previous X7 so good. Why not keep both for a while... you know, before you order an X20.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Guest 928

The Captain gives good advice. That's why he runs the ship.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I have x7 coco in the oven but needed a guitar for a trip to Korea for a month and got an OF660 three days ago.
My wife likes how cute it looks and I love the matte black classy tiny look! Surprisingly boomy base, specially G on low E string seems to resonate much boomier. Going from Martin GPC to OF, OF grows on you and in five minutes, you are just having a good time! I have played OF 3 to 5 hours every day and and GPC is just sleeping in her bed waitng. ( I wonder if I should cancel X7 and go with X20...)

If any issues come up during my month long trip, I will let you guys know.

Ps. Quality of material and workmanship with the wingnut-shaped tightening bolt mechanism could use an upgrade. Relatively quiet fingerpicked.
In my opinion, you should just go with the X20, as good as the X7 is, function wise i feel there is a bit of overlap with the OF. But if you like small guitars in general then that's a different story.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 10-01-2018, 11:13 PM

I have to tell you guys that, from this forum, I have received great knowledge, some cool advices that seem to reflect my inner voices and best of all, plenty of belly laughs🤣

Thank you all, in many ways!!

Ps. I will A&B and maybe get rid of one( or hide one in the garage.) Then, I will buy a winning Lotto and send the winngs straight to Emerald in return for a life long continuous supply of their...
Old 10-02-2018, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

owning both....if I could keep only one, it would be the X20. No contest.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
owning both....if I could keep only one, it would be the X20. No contest.
Agreed. Since getting the X20, the others - even CF - don't see much play time. The X7 is my wife's and I play it on occasion, but it is not my primary player. Mama Bear and Papa Bear guitars......

Back to the original flying question, my answer is a bit different. When I used to fly back and forth to my former home in Anchorage several times a year, I just kept a Taylor 114 there with a friend, so I did not have to expose anything to the "tender mercies" of the airlines. These days I simply do NOT fly anymore - not even for business.

A CF guitar in a decent hard case seems like the most robust option available. Carry on, followed by gate check, followed lastly by checked onto the conveyor. When you do the gate check, ask [nicely] for the color tag, so your guitar comes back up to the jet way with strollers, wheelchairs, etc. Otherwise white tagged items come out via the conveyor, aka the mauling equipment.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Agreed. Since getting the X20, the others - even CF - don't see much play time. The X7 is my wife's and I play it on occasion, but it is not my primary player. Mama Bear and Papa Bear guitars......

Back to the original flying question, my answer is a bit different. When I used to fly back and forth to my former home in Anchorage several times a year, I just kept a Taylor 114 there with a friend, so I did not have to expose anything to the "tender mercies" of the airlines. These days I simply do NOT fly anymore - not even for business.

A CF guitar in a decent hard case seems like the most robust option available. Carry on, followed by gate check, followed lastly by checked onto the conveyor. When you do the gate check, ask [nicely] for the color tag, so your guitar comes back up to the jet way with strollers, wheelchairs, etc. Otherwise white tagged items come out via the conveyor, aka the mauling equipment.

I may keep the journey in my car tucked away but always available. So I see a strong support for X20; something I would not ignore. It would be nice to test drive X20 and find out myself. It seems that I may end up parting with my Martin and make room for X20.

Wait a minute, then, how about X30?

Oh, maybe not proper to go sideways too much😉
Old 10-03-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Wait a minute, then, how about X30?

Oh, maybe not proper to go sideways too much😉
I had an X20 on order, decided I wanted an X30, and decided to just get both.

Kinda stupid now I think about it.... but I'm not sure which I'll like more, so pretty stoked to be able to pick.

I say I'll sell the other one. We'll see.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
I had an X20 on order, decided I wanted an X30, and decided to just get both.

Kinda stupid now I think about it.... but I'm not sure which I'll like more, so pretty stoked to be able to pick.

I say I'll sell the other one. We'll see.
Not stupid.... they are different enough and great enough that you will want to keep both. I’m just tellin’ you so you know in advance.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-03-2018, 11:08 PM

Default Trim the Headstock of CA Cargo?

This may be a crazy question.

I own and play an older (pre Peavy) model CA Cargo, and I want to trim about 3/8" to 1/2" off of the top of the head stock. See the attached edited photos that illustrate what I am talking about. Will such a trim impair the structural integrity or sound of the guitar.

Here is why I want to do this

The CA Cargo is a FANTASTIC travel guitar, EXCEPT it is pushing the limits of acceptable length as a carry-on instrument given the ever tightening restrictions on carry on luggage, particularly with budget airlines. In particular, I am going to be flying Norwegian Air which is notorius for enforcing its carry on restrictions.

If I can reclaim another 3/8" to 1/2", then I can comply with the limitations.

See the photo shopped image of what I am suggesting here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxt13kn4r6...immed.jpg?dl=0
Old 10-04-2018, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

You should start your own thread craigjon, you'll likely get a lot more help
Old 10-04-2018, 03:05 PM

Nice simulation...still looks like a guitar...wonder if the head is solid ...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber