The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-16-2018, 07:44 PM

Somebody has a nice RainSong in the classifieds for $1200 shipped. Just sayin’.....but you can only put six strings on it (or less).

Last edited by steelvibe; 10-16-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Earl49 - greetings from Fairbanks, and I occasionally make it down to Los Anchorage, been years since I was in Mammoth Music but next time I’ll stop in and look! EvanB I agree, about needing a CF guitar, climate here is a killer .... I appreciate greatly everyone’s comments and suggestions and this will necessitate my selling a guitar but it sounds like it will be a worthy investment to be sure, BT55, thanks for the reminder to watch eBay and Reverb, meanwhile I’ll continue my conversations with the folks at Emerald!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 10-17-2018, 01:43 AM

The new select series X20-12 is sold. Hmmm? Anyone want to fess up?

There is still at least one 12 string for sale on the Emerald site. It's a baritone though.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 10-17-2018, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
Earl49 - greetings from Fairbanks, and I occasionally make it down to Los Anchorage, been years since I was in Mammoth Music but next time I’ll stop in and look! EvanB I agree, about needing a CF guitar, climate here is a killer .... I appreciate greatly everyone’s comments and suggestions and this will necessitate my selling a guitar but it sounds like it will be a worthy investment to be sure, BT55, thanks for the reminder to watch eBay and Reverb, meanwhile I’ll continue my conversations with the folks at Emerald!
Another place to check often that I've bought two Emeralds from is Guitar Center used search. You can search all of the GC's at once. They don't come up often but I have seen others pop up. Plus I've gotten tremendous deals there. Much better than I could find on here or eBay, Reverb.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 10-22-2018, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

I am thinking that a custom made x20-12 may be my best choice. I’m a big fan of a pinless bridge, does anyone have an Emerald with a pinless bridge? Are there any specific options that I should consider? I certainly appreciate all the great suggestions thus far.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Since I’m thinking more and more about ordering a custom x20-12, I’d be interested in knowing what strings folks are using. What kind of tone profile does carbon fiber have compared to the different varieties of wood?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I am thinking that a custom made x20-12 may be my best choice. I’m a big fan of a pinless bridge, does anyone have an Emerald with a pinless bridge? Are there any specific options that I should consider? I certainly appreciate all the great suggestions thus far.
My customs will have pinless bridges and are, according to Kevin, due in end of November. Will be sure to have a thorough review video shortly after their arrival.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:17 PM

Default Mom never warned me about enablers like these.

Quote:
Since I’m thinking more and more about ordering a custom x20-12,
Is this a record? 7 days ago was the first post to 'consider' buying a cf, and now you're close to ordering an Emerald Custom. I think it may be a record, most people, like myself, take several weeks to be swayed by the local enablers. Why not get 2 while you're at it?
btw, I do not regret the leap of faith in any way.

Emerald X20 Artisan w/Anthem
83 Martin D 18
Washburn Augusta
Yamaha 12 string
Old 10-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghd View Post
Is this a record? 7 days ago was the first post to 'consider' buying a cf, and now you're close to ordering an Emerald Custom. I think it may be a record, most people, like myself, take several weeks to be swayed by the local enablers. Why not get 2 while you're at it?
btw, I do not regret the leap of faith in any way.
I might have been quicker. I'd been lurking around here doing research on a cheap-isa wood parlor guitar in early September when I first became aware of the idea of carbon fiber guitars. I was immediately attracted to it. I think I first mentioned an interest in them around September 5th or 6th, by the 7th I had my order for a stock X20 in with Emeral and I received it on the 13th. I didn't talk about it much until right before I got it, but the wheels were only churning for a few days before I jumped in, knowing if I didn't really like it, I could return it. Didn't happen, and bought a used X7 a month later. All wooden acoustics were gone within a couple weeks of receiving the X20.

-Ray
Old 10-24-2018, 02:51 PM
Guest 928

Guitarweb;

If you are going for a custom guitar then you should get every option you can want and/or afford--after all, how many custom guitars do you plan on buying in your lifetime?
Old 10-24-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Well true .... though not sure what what I can really afford to take on .... but thanks, yeah this has really taken hold and I’m having daily conversations with Kevin@Emerald .... I love opinions as to the different veneers .... I’m leaning toward pinless bridge, a smaller width neck (45.7 mm vs their standard 12 string neck of 48.5 mm), flattened c shape neck, and I’ve asked about other options for pickups. Is everyone using the stock LR Baggs? My other instruments have K&K either Power Duo or Trinity) Does anyone have envy experience with K&K installed? What are people’s thoughts on a shorter or longer scale? Anyone have a slotted head 12 string? As always ... thanks ..... and yeah I’m getting committed to doing this as I’ve put one of my instruments up for sale (1998 Breedlove) ....
Old 10-25-2018, 09:18 AM
Guest 928

GWG;

There are so many options available that the economics of it all can get out of hand. For example, the slot-head tuners are pretty expensive, the veneers cost extra, electronics are not cheap, custom scales and necks can get expensive.

I think you are doing it right. First, figuring out what the options are. Then weeding through the options to what you really need/want and can afford.

Good luck in your decision making. I look forward to seeing what you and Alistair come up with.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
GWG;

There are so many options available that the economics of it all can get out of hand. For example, the slot-head tuners are pretty expensive, the veneers cost extra, electronics are not cheap, custom scales and necks can get expensive.

I think you are doing it right. First, figuring out what the options are. Then weeding through the options to what you really need/want and can afford.

Good luck in your decision making. I look forward to seeing what you and Alistair come up with.
Unc...you are so civil and helpful..you ok?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-25-2018, 06:39 PM
Guest 928

Turning over a new leaf, I are. Going into each day with a song in my heart. It's almost disgusting. I think it's the forum--everyone is so civilized it's starting to rub off. Seems to me that even you, my model nephew, have been getting nicer.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Turning over a new leaf, I are. Going into each day with a song in my heart. It's almost disgusting. I think it's the forum--everyone is so civilized it's starting to rub off. Seems to me that even you, my model nephew, have been getting nicer.
Prolly the beautaciousness of all these fine Carbon Fiber guitars from all the fine makers of said instruments has affected and effected us...or something like that.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber