The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Since you already have the Loar on hand, just take it. You might wish that you had the X20 along, but at least you won't be worried. And you'll know how you feel about it all for next time.

I too would be sick if something happened to one of my good guitars, but that is why I have all-risk coverage as a rider on my homeowner's policy. We have good instruments, so we take them out and play them. If you think an X20 is expensive, think about some of my wife's flutes. The least of her fleet is more expensive than a tricked-out highly customized Emerald woody. And yes, they go camping with us.
Yeah, it's all relative, right? If you have several really nice guitars, you might not think too much about taking one of them along, knowing if something happens you're covered and you have plenty of other options to play during the time it might take to repair or replace the one that got damaged. If you just have one or two nice guitars OTOH, you might choose not to take one because the personal impact of something happening to it would be greater. For a long time I've had one really nice acoustic and often a cheap little companion for both a change of pace and those kinds of situations where I wouldn't want to risk the nice one. And I would always take the cheap one along for any questionable situations.

Although before my recent conversion to carbon fiber, part of that equation was temperature/humidity issues during the trip/outing. That part of it is off the table now but tent camping is still a step beyond where I'd take the X20. But then now my "cheap" guitar is the X7 I just picked up used and while it was about half the price of my basic X20, it's still a pretty nice little guitar. And the replacement cost would be a good deal more than I paid for it, assuming I couldn't find another good used one at a similar price. I'll no doubt take the X7 in situations I wouldn't take the X20, but I may someday also pick up a cheap little Jim Dandy or something if I find myself taking the X7 in situations I'm not really comfortable with...

It's always a personal call. I guess if I had a bunch of nice Martins, I wouldn't worry about taking one of them (though probably not the most prized of them) on a camping trip. But for most of my life I've had exactly ONE nice Martin and never would have put it in harm's way.

-Ray
Old 10-12-2018, 08:27 PM

Just stop worrying so much. What could possibly go wrong in the woods?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:13 PM

CF guitars are perfect for camping.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:28 PM

If this matters, just got back from 4 days, 3 nights camping and my Ekoa guitar stayed in tune. Others with wood guitars were frequently retuning, sometimes between songs! I really don’t enjoy tuning.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:25 PM

One of the reasons I was drawn to carbon fiber was the ability to take it camping without so much worry. Camping out in the forest is one of the greatest places to play guitar (in my opinion). I took my X20 on the last trip tent camping and did not worry. When not playing it I just put it back in the hard case and didn’t worry a bit.

It was great to be able to play such a fine guitar camping!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber