The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Install K&K in Year Old X20?

So I am thinking of replacing the Baggs pickup in my X20 with a K&K. Methos told me that special prep is done at the factory for such installs. So, has anyone installed a K&K in an X20 after receiving it?

If so, what special prep did you do?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:30 PM

I installed an Anthem in my X20 so the prep should be close. The bridge area that you are going to mount the pickups to needs to be sanded flat. I used a 150 grit sanding block and it worked well. I also recommend that you look on YouTube for a K&K installation video. There is one that illustrates how all of the sbd’s can be mounted at the same time. I’ve used the process and it makes for a fast and accurate install.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 10-15-2018, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

Thanks BT55,

That sounds encouraging.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:30 AM

Some one posted pictures of a factory K&K install. They would be worth searching for. It looked like there was a white material plastered inside the guitar in the area where the pickups would be glued, and that material was sanded flat. Other than removing release compound left over from the original manufacture (the epoxy needs to not bond to the mold or bag, and any of that left behind will stop your glue from adhering), I don't think you should be attempting to sand for contour (flattening) as you will be cutting into the real structure of the guitar (the Emeralds I owned all had a slight arch/radius to the top).

What I would do is use a plastic steel wool substitute to clean only where the K&K heads are to be glued. I would then attach them the normal way with the thickest slowest cyanoacrylate glue you can find at the hardware store. I think a good gap filling glue should be enough and the plaster of the factory install was not necessary. I've installed a few dozen K&Ks and JJBs and had no trouble with some fairly old less than flat wood guitar tops.

And of course it makes sense to contact Emerald directly for their input.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-15-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Some one posted pictures of a factory K&K install. They would be worth searching for. It looked like there was a white material plastered inside the guitar in the area where the pickups would be glued, and that material was sanded flat.

Not sure if this is the posted picture you refer to, but I posted this picture awhile back of K&K install by Emerald.

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 10-15-2018, 06:54 AM

Deleted because of double posting
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 10-15-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Not sure if this is the posted picture you refer to, but I posted this picture awhile back of K&K install by Emerald.

That is the one I was referring to. Thanks!!!

Jon Fields
Old 10-15-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Thanks from me as well. I have also emailed Alistair at Emerald and will report back when reply received. Wonder what the mystery white stuff is.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I heard back from Alistair:
"Hi Angie
The most important part is to ensure that the area you are putting the K&K is flat. Sometimes there is an indent around the area of the bridge caused during moulding. Usually we put an extra piece of carbon into the guitar during moulding to make this flat in preparation for the K&K if we are installing ourselves.
Check the area and sand smooth with 120 grit sand paper .
Use a good quality super glue gel and if available a super glue activator to initiate proper cure. Insure that when you put the pickups in place that the stick firmly with no voids underneath. Any voids will inhibit the transfer of energy from the strings.
I hope this is helpful
Regards
Alistair "

Another example of the superior customer service from Emerald...an answer from the man himself about five hours after I emailed him.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
I heard back from Alistair:
"Hi Angie
The most important part is to ensure that the area you are putting the K&K is flat. Sometimes there is an indent around the area of the bridge caused during moulding. Usually we put an extra piece of carbon into the guitar during moulding to make this flat in preparation for the K&K if we are installing ourselves.
Check the area and sand smooth with 120 grit sand paper .
Use a good quality super glue gel and if available a super glue activator to initiate proper cure. Insure that when you put the pickups in place that the stick firmly with no voids underneath. Any voids will inhibit the transfer of energy from the strings.
I hope this is helpful
Regards
Alistair "

Another example of the superior customer service from Emerald...an answer from the man himself about five hours after I emailed him.
So the first thing to do is to reach into your guitar and see if the area in front of the string balls seems reasonably flat.

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber