The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Looking for someone to hold/ship a guitar for me

Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying a guitar in the US off of a well respected forum member and having it shipped to Switzerland. The buyer is wary of any potential hassels of shipping the guitar to Europe and would prefer that he ships to the US.

I was wondering if any of the respected forum members would be willing to act as an intermediary. I would have the seller ship the guitar to you. You would play it for two weeks until CITES on guitars is lifted, and then forward it on to me. I would pay the shipping and would make sure that you don't have any fees.

The guitar in question is from a well respected single luthier, so the chance to enjoy the guitar for a couple weeks before shipping is probably rather enticing.

Please only contact me if you are a well known and respected forum member with lots of experience shipping guitars. You should also be from somewhere near the east coast. I would also prefer if you had heritage insurance or similar.

It's best to contact me by email:

[email protected]

Thanks!

Last edited by brianlcox; 11-12-2019 at 04:21 PM. Reason: improved clarity of what I'm looking for
Old 11-12-2019, 04:38 PM

There’s no way any of that could go wrong. I think you should reconsider.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:51 PM

Agreed this almost sounds like a scam its such a bad idea. What happens if the guitar is lost or damaged when shipping from original seller (Person A) to Person B? Who bears responsibility? Same if this happens from person B to you? Say you never get your guitar or it arrives damaged? What recourse do you have? Pretty much none.
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 11-12-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

I honestly don't think you're trying to scam anyone, but there are so many bad ideas in this proposition I can't see anyone touching it. If it's a custom built guitar, then it's obviously not a cheap guitar. You have no guarantee that the person that's holding the guitar for you will actually ship it to you. The person holding the guitar is responsible for a brand new and expensive instrument. What if something happens to the guitar? Something as simple as some minor pick marks, the case lid falls while he's putting it up or any other minor dents and dings that can happen even when you're being very careful. I strongly suggest that you reconsider your plan.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-12-2019, 05:14 PM

I've bought 6 guitars from the USA and had them shipped to me in Australia without problem.

Why is this seller wary of shipping to Europe?

p.s. Fed-Ex tracking system was very good with frequent accurate location updates. USPS not so good, big gaps of inactivity - but guitar arrived OK.

I paid $US200 to 300 for shipping.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 11-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:29 PM

Perhaps the well respected, single luthier, forum member, will see this thread and just maybe reconsider shipping it to you. I don't suppose you could find one of these guitars on the used market, where the seller would ship to you? I hope you find a solution.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 PM

I could see this working, though it would take a high integrity AGF'er with an interest in the luthier's guitars, and experience with int'l shipping. I think there are honest souls on AGF that could be trusted with the task, and take responsibility if they damaged the guitar. They get to play a presumably cool instrument for a bit. I've borrowed (by shipment) a fellow AGFer's guitar and sent it back, taking the damage risk in order to try it out - so to me this can make sense (respect that it may not for most, however). Got to find a motivated person with impeccable character to do this with confidence.

A flaw I can't see a way around is insurance. I have Heritage, but to have a guitar covered, I am nearly certain I need to own it. In this arrangement, I could not claim ownership so could not cover it on my policy without misrepresenting the situation, which I won't do. A twist on Groucho Marx - if you find an AGF'er that would cut corners on insurance, you can't trust them with your guitar.

Agree with the other responses - best solve is a change of heart by the luthier on his/her willingness to ship to Switzerland.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:30 PM

Rereading OP's post, I think the seller is the current owner, but it is a luthier guitar. My suggestion here would be to have the seller ship to the luthier, have it checked out, set up, frets crowned etc. and have the luthier ship it to you with his/her insurance.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 11-12-2019, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiv9 View Post
Agreed this almost sounds like a scam its such a bad idea. What happens if the guitar is lost or damaged when shipping from original seller (Person A) to Person B? Who bears responsibility? Same if this happens from person B to you? Say you never get your guitar or it arrives damaged? What recourse do you have? Pretty much none.
I tend to agree...alot..............
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Default better idea

Hey all, OP here,

I know this wasn't a very good idea, but I thought it was worth a try. There are a few forum members who I would have trusted this task with. In fact, I have a few friends in the US, but none of them know anything about guitars. I figured the guitar was safer with someone I don't know, but I know has a passion for gutiars and a history of being reasonable with selling and trading here on the forum.

The hang up is insurance - I saw that last night as I lay awake dreaming of my new guitar. The intermediary wouldn't have insurance on the guitar, so the whole plan could go terribly wrong!

I have ultimately found a better solution - I will visit my parents in Canada and have the guitar sent to a company on the border, from which I will pick it up. The seller has agreed to this, so it looks like we have a deal. In the end this only costs me about $600 more than dealing with all the shipping, so I just see it as a cheaper way to go see family close to the holidays!

By the way, the guitar is used - I guess I wasn't so clear in the original post.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I’m baffled as to why the seller won’t agree to ship to Switzerland - it’s on your dollar, so what’s his problem?

But, if you carry out the plan in your last post, make sure the instrument is declared to Customs when yo carry it in to Switzerland. You may get away with not declaring it but, if you’re caught, the penalties for smuggling are severe and could result in you forfeiting the guitar with no compensation, plus a fine.

Tread very carefully, is my advice.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-13-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
You would play it for two weeks until CITES on guitars is lifted!
Don't expect things will be clear sailing in two weeks. That's just the start point for countries to maybe think about considering a change in their current policy regarding this subject.

BTW, my sister and BIL just left earlier this week for Zürich; they could have brought the guitar with them.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:54 PM
G625 mistral-k

The OP has found a solution, no need to continue with this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
Hey all, OP here,

I know this wasn't a very good idea, but I thought it was worth a try. There are a few forum members who I would have trusted this task with. In fact, I have a few friends in the US, but none of them know anything about guitars. I figured the guitar was safer with someone I don't know, but I know has a passion for gutiars and a history of being reasonable with selling and trading here on the forum.

The hang up is insurance - I saw that last night as I lay awake dreaming of my new guitar. The intermediary wouldn't have insurance on the guitar, so the whole plan could go terribly wrong!

I have ultimately found a better solution - I will visit my parents in Canada and have the guitar sent to a company on the border, from which I will pick it up. The seller has agreed to this, so it looks like we have a deal. In the end this only costs me about $600 more than dealing with all the shipping, so I just see it as a cheaper way to go see family close to the holidays!

By the way, the guitar is used - I guess I wasn't so clear in the original post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion