The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-26-2021, 03:01 PM

Default Major headache when using loop stations

The looper I use is a Boss RC-3. It's a fantastic piece of gear and I love it but a major problem i always run into when trying to record loops into it. I can never stop the loop at the right time.

I always stop it and leave tiny gap at the end of it before it starts over i can never get it in the right spot so it loops perfectly. Anyone else had this problem and what can I do to try and get my loops more perfectly recorded without having this little error right at the end of it.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:17 PM

When my son started out with his looper his time was pretty shaky and the looper gave him fits. He stuck with it (for a few months, at least) and now he's very comfortable with it, and a much more solid player in the bargain. Hang in there!

Couch Standards
Old 02-26-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
The looper I use is a Boss RC-3. It's a fantastic piece of gear and I love it but a major problem i always run into when trying to record loops into it. I can never stop the loop at the right time.

I always stop it and leave tiny gap at the end of it before it starts over i can never get it in the right spot so it loops perfectly. Anyone else had this problem and what can I do to try and get my loops more perfectly recorded without having this little error right at the end of it.
I had trouble with this on My RC3 as well (they claim it is "quantized " but you would not know by my experience )

That said ::: Try this, for say a 4/4 beat do not try to hit the stop recording button on the end of the 4 count, instead count 1-2-3-4-1 and hit the button right at the start of the next 1 count.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-26-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Looping takes a bit of practice to get the timing right, but you'll find it's much easier if you start and stop your loop on the 1 count.

Until you get used to the timing issue it's also a good idea to already be playing what you want to loop. Do bar or two to get your rhythm steady and start your loop on the one count.

Here's a video I made to demonstrate looper use, particularly as it applies to us acoustic guitar players. It walks you though the process of doing an entire tune structure loop, adding a bass and lead guitar for subsequent loops. Notice the entire process is based on starting and establishing your loop length by using the "1" count.

In the video example here, notice the loop is starting point is established at 20 seconds in and the loop end point is established at 1:07 in the video.

After your loop is established and looping without the proverbial "looper hiccup" then you can add your other instruments easily, as you won't effect the basic loop length for subsequent additions to the loop.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-26-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:40 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I have a funny problem with loopers: they want to be punched on the beat. "What's the problem,?" you ask. I've spent forty years as a recording engineer. When punching-in an overdub recording in the studio the engineer hs to punch right before the beat so that his punch-in doesn't "up-cut," meaning cut off the very beginning of the note. Old habits die extremely hard and this one doesn't work with loopers.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-27-2021, 09:11 AM

I'm pretty sure I unlearned the "anticipated punch" shortly after the last time I had to do it, which in my case was probably around 1998. I'm both an engineer and a player and I've never had the one interfere with the other. On the other hand, now that you've got me thinking about it...

Couch Standards
Old 02-28-2021, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the help guys. really appreciate it. I'm very quickly becoming better at recording loops. your advice has made my headache almost completely go away =P
Old 02-28-2021, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. really appreciate it. I'm very quickly becoming better at recording loops. your advice has made my headache almost completely go away =P
Good drink two Guinness and call me in the morning

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-09-2021, 02:36 PM

Press that switch on the one as stated. I often pretend I'm hitting it on a down strum of my strumming hand, finding it easier to get that foot tap in time with that stum (or picked note). Having a beat or metronome going helps too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD