The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2021, 01:43 PM

Default Bluegrass Technique Questions: Open strings & First Position

Greetings,

I'm trying to learn some fiddle tunes, and I notice that with the b note it often fluctuates within a song as to whether they want you to play it open or on the fourth fret of the g string. Will someone please tell me why this is and what the "rule of thumb" is as to when to play it open or at the fourth fret? I can read notation, so it would prevent me from having to look at the tab as well in order to identify how it should be played..

Also, is there a reason why it's preferred to play these songs in the first position? Is it because the open strings ring out better, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-07-2021, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

The open tone is generally preferred in bluegrass, but a lot of that is more about chords than the fast parts (that's why there's such pervasive use of capos).

So, really short answer is, play it on the open string unless there's a reason not to.

If the fingering sequence is easier to play it on the g string, then do that, or if you need to play the b note along with another note on the b string as part of an arpeggio/arpeggiated run, then play it on the g. Or if it's part of a crosspicking roll in the bass strings or something, and the g is easier to reach play it on that. The primary concern should be efficiency and economy of motion.

And, welcome to the forum.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-07-2021, 02:23 PM

4th fret of G or open B....depends on what makes your pre and post note work easier...There is no rule.

Open Position is traditional(if only because most BG players were untrained) and open notes tend to sound best. More advanced players will stray from this paradigm and play all over the neck.. Capo is your friend for play in various keys until your skill improves. Most BG tunes are 1,4,5 tunes with an occasional 6 or 2. Learn the BG g chord shape+g runs and how to do walkups/downs for G, C and D chords and your life will be easier.

Last edited by Scotso; 05-07-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:39 AM

There's a common lick that's sometimes used to end a tune/part/break, in G, something like: B-A-G-B-A-G-F#-A-G

It's much harder to do with the open B string.

Bluegrass guitar always sounds good with a lot of open/fingered unisons, in my opinion. Almost can't do too much of it.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I play my share of Bluegrass

Open position on a Dreadnought is a wonderful full rich sound. It also aids faster playing using open strings.

As for the the B note, it is like any note, it depends on what comes before or after and your fingering in order to utilize the best place to play it. Experiment with it but always try to alternate up down strokes unless a slide, hammer on or pull off is involved.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:32 PM

Among the many reasons already given is the slide from A - B on the 3rd string which sounds so different than using A/3rd string and B /2nd string.

So, it's really about whats coming before and after and what sound you are after. So no single answer would be ideal.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 05-10-2021, 01:02 PM

Appreciate the responses - Thanks!
Old 05-10-2021, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Open strings also buy you time to shift up or down. Very helpful when going fast.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion