The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-24-2021, 11:26 AM

Default Classical action and neck angle question

What is "typical" action for a classical? Also, is the neck angle to the bridge for a classical typically the same as a steel string - as in if you lay a straight edge on the fret board, the straight edge should land around the saddle, and not lower than the saddle?
Old 04-24-2021, 11:37 AM

I believe that the standard action is usually 4mm Low E and 3mm high E but this obviously varies to peoples taste. Mine is about 4.1/3.1mm and I find it fine. I can’t tell you much about neck angle on a classical I am afraid.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 04-24-2021, 11:52 AM

Thanks. I am so used to steel string neck angle that the neck angle on this classical I am looking at looks funny. But the string action at the 12th fret is pretty much 3mm across all strings. A straight edge down the fret board lands at the halfway point on the bridge. I found an article online that seems to indicate this is pretty normal. This would be way low on a streel string, but I know classicals are different beasts. I don't see any significant evidence of the top sinking, so I think it was likely more or less built the way I am finding it. I can't test play it because the strings are horribly rotten and it wasn't strung properly. I have strings on the way.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:07 PM

A typical neck angle in a classical guitar is 15 degree. Some flamenco guitars are up to 20 degree to compensate for the the use of tuning pegs.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
... I know classicals are different beasts.
They are.

The target vertical string height of the strings at the bridge, measured from the surface of the guitar top to the bottom of the strings, is different for steel string and classical guitars. A common target is 1/2" (13 mm) for steel strings. For classical guitars the target is usually about 9 to 11 mm, less for flamenco guitars.

To accomplish that, they need different neck angles. Steel string guitars have the head of the guitar lower than the plane of the guitar top, producing a less than 90 degree angle of neck to body. Classical guitars have the head of the guitar higher than the plane of the guitar top, producing a greater than 90 degree angle of the neck to the body. Steel string guitars often have about 88 or so degrees while classical guitar often have about 93 degrees.

A common classical guitar construction method will have the bottom of the fingerboard tapered from the 12th fret to the sound hole. This accommodates the greater than 90 degree neck angle.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_B View Post
A typical neck angle in a classical guitar is 15 degree. Some flamenco guitars are up to 20 degree to compensate for the the use of tuning pegs.
I think you are talking about the angle that the head makes with the neck. I use 14 degrees for both classical and steel string guitars.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:13 PM

Default Classical action and neck angle question

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I think you are talking about the angle that the head makes with the neck. I use 14 degrees for both classical and steel string guitars.

Thank you the the clarification. Yes I was referring to head referencing to the neck. Reading the OP, I think it was a different question. I used 12 degrees for my classical guitars. Just simply for the look [emoji23]

Last edited by Tom_B; 04-24-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:32 PM

Thank you so much for the answers. I think this one is right in line. The distance from the string to the sound board at the bridge is 10mm.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
But the string action at the 12th fret is pretty much 3mm across all strings.
This is good...if you have the top of the saddle a mm or more above the bridge (leaving room to lower the action if desired) that's even better. Sounds like your neck is ok...you can't reset the neck on most classicals (well it is just possible...) because of the Spanish heel - unlike the way steel string guitars are built. 3mm clearance all across the strings is likely too low for the bass strings - but a simpler thing to adjust compared to too high with not enough saddle showing to cut down...
Old 04-24-2021, 03:57 PM

The saddle is about 1mm. It seems to be roughly flat across the bridge. Slightly more than 1mm at the low E and slightly less at the high E string is very slightly less than 1mm. Eventually I will have the saddle replaced so it is less flat.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:04 AM

None of my '72-'92 K. Yairi's had any neck problems - it's good to know yours is ok as well. Let us know how it sounds after you set it up. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:12 PM

It's a beautiful guitar. Just needs a little love and it should be ready to go. Whoever put the strings on it last had no idea what they were doing. And they are very rotten.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical