The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2021, 06:44 PM

The adventure continues. Stopped at House Of Guitars in Rochester, NY. This store just blew me away! It is beyond a doubt the best shop of the whole trip, and probably the best guitar store that I have ever set foot in, short of the NYC 48th St shops of the early 70's. Actually, House Of Guitars is the coolest ever! Gruhn's and Carter's in Nashville had more vintage Martin's and Gibson's, but did not compare with the cool madness of House Of Guitars. Tomorrow I plan to stop in at Dick's Music Oasis (guns, gas, guitars, and groceries) in Churubusco, NY. Life is good!
Old 05-07-2021, 10:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
Dream Guitars near Asheville, North Carolina. It's a high end showroom for custom guitars but they have the occasional limited edition Martin, Gibson, etc. It's by appointment only but it is well worth the visit and the city is beauiful also. Dream Guitars lives up to it's name.
I've heard a lot about Asheville. Was that the hometown of Thomas Wolff?

sm
Old 05-08-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
All the above plus TNAG Nashville.

A lesser know shop in the little town of Burlington, NC...Lowe Vintage Instruments.
That's called "taking the Lowe road"
Old 05-08-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

sm
Not sure about Thomas Wolff but Asheville is beautiful! I plan to take a trip back there after retirement and the restrictions ease. I don’t think Dream Guitars is open right now but it’s a definite “Dream” place for guitarists.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
Dream Guitars near Asheville, North Carolina. It's a high end showroom for custom guitars but they have the occasional limited edition Martin, Gibson, etc. It's by appointment only but it is well worth the visit and the city is beauiful also. Dream Guitars lives up to it's name.
When I contacted Dream Guitar in October to schedule an appointment to try a Ryan guitar, they told me they were in phase 2 restrictions and were not receiving visitors. Instead, they offered a 3-day trial period. Maybe that's no longer the case and they've resumed making appointments.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

sm

Yes! (10 char)
Old 05-08-2021, 01:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
The adventure continues. Stopped at House Of Guitars in Rochester, NY. This store just blew me away! It is beyond a doubt the best shop of the whole trip, and probably the best guitar store that I have ever set foot in, short of the NYC 48th St shops of the early 70's. Actually, House Of Guitars is the coolest ever! Gruhn's and Carter's in Nashville had more vintage Martin's and Gibson's, but did not compare with the cool madness of House Of Guitars. Tomorrow I plan to stop in at Dick's Music Oasis (guns, gas, guitars, and groceries) in Churubusco, NY. Life is good!
Wish I'd had known you were in Western New York and near HOG's in Rochester, you could have stopped into my shop in Middleport NY. Also check out Bernunzio Uptown Music in Rochester, another outstanding shop.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:38 PM

I certainly would have, had I known. I also hit Dick's Music Oasis (Dick's Country Store, gas, groceries, guns, and guitars) in Churubusco, NY. It is a wonderful store with a great selection of instruments. Also, their Michigan's (glazier hot dogs with meat sauce) can't be beat.

The next stop was at Northern Lights in Littleton, NH. Another quality guitar shop with some very nice vintage acoustics and a very friendly staff!
Old 05-09-2021, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
The Music Outlet in Sevierville, Tennessee
One more vote for The Music Outlet. I stopped in and had forgotten to mention it. They had some nice guitars!
Old 05-09-2021, 08:12 AM

Acoustic Vibes in Phoenix, AZ. I spent a relaxing afternoon there pre COVID and was able to sample many high end guitars that I’d never played before. Staff was awesome, told me feel free to play whatever I wanted and then left me alone, checking in occasionally to see if I had questions. The standouts that day: a Bourgeois country boy OM and a used Gibson J-15 (a few marks here and there but only $1200). I really should have bought that Gibson.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:52 AM

If you're in LA, visit Westwood Music - a stepping off store for many of the Southern California bands, the Eagles especially - it's an old fashioned kind of guitar store you can just sit and play in, a great hang.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
Acoustic Vibes in Phoenix, AZ. I spent a relaxing afternoon there pre COVID and was able to sample many high end guitars that I’d never played before. Staff was awesome, told me feel free to play whatever I wanted and then left me alone, checking in occasionally to see if I had questions. The standouts that day: a Bourgeois country boy OM and a used Gibson J-15 (a few marks here and there but only $1200). I really should have bought that Gibson.
Never been there but I just ordered a guitar from them on Friday. The conversation I had with the salesperson was a pleasant experience. I hope to visit in person some day.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:37 AM

Another vote for Acoustic Vibes in Arizona. It’s actually in Tempe, Az. Great place to sample a huge selection of higher end guitars, in a very relaxing atmosphere. It has been appointment only during the pandemic. Definitely worth the visit.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublescale1 View Post
If you're in LA, visit Westwood Music - a stepping off store for many of the Southern California bands, the Eagles especially - it's an old fashioned kind of guitar store you can just sit and play in, a great hang.
Westwood, sadly, is now closed.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
Westwood, sadly, is now closed.
Yes, I heard. Permanently, I believe. Bummer.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion