The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-15-2021, 06:17 AM

Default New Headphone Amp Day - Fender Mustang Micro

It showed up yesterday. For the amps and effects I am familiar with, it does a very respectable job. When I consider the 27 watt power supply needed to run an HX Stomp this little beast is amazing for its tiny internal rechargeable battery, long battery life, and cool to the touch operation.

With no menu or app you can get where you want to go in seconds (I would need half an hour with a new Zoom or Line 6 pedal to get anywhere close). It is well thought out with the controls you want to see facing you. However, not a tweaker's delight, or the confusion of nearly endless often not intuitively named options in an HX model. Just a fast path to good sound. I have settled on the 65 Deluxe (one click towards brighter tone) and the hall reverb (one click above middle reverb in the mix).

I tried it with headphones, a Bose Soundlink Color II, my guitar amp aux input, and a QSC CP8. I was quite happy with all of them (be sure to unplug a Bluetooth speaker from any USB power to avoid the common mode noise endemic in those power supplies). In comparison to the modeling in my amp, it was slightly different but equally pleasant and usable. For my purposes, since I roll the volume up on the guitar for a bit of overdrive on a solo, I could gig with it. I plan to try it direct to my CP8 at tomorrow's rehearsal.

It only has a post volume control and even the "clean" amp models require setting my PRS McCarty Thinline's volume controls to "5" to eliminate all traces of overdrive (or compression in the case of the Twin Reverb w/compressor model).

I'm not a high gain player and can't judge those amp models.

While the pictures ought to be enough to know how compact this thing is, there is nothing like seeing it in person. The build quality is really solid.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-15-2021, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

ooooh that looks real nice!

I had two Fender Mustang modeling amps and loved them.

I also have a cheap headphone amp that I wanted to replace.

Since this one has better effects I am seriously going to get one of these

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-15-2021, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

just ordered mine

when I had covid my crummy headphone amp saved my sanity - but the sound is pretty bad . im looking for ward to this one

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-15-2021, 07:26 AM

I ordered one from Sweetwater on Friday. Should be here in the next day or so. Looking forward to checking it out.

I like the fact that it is standalone and not tied to a smartphone app. I just want something I can dial in quickly and play. Perfect for the late night and early morning jams so as to not disturb the rest of the family.

Thanks for the review.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
It showed up yesterday. For the amps and effects I am familiar with, it does a very respectable job. When I consider the 27 watt power supply needed to run an HX Stomp this little beast is amazing for its tiny internal rechargeable battery, long battery life, and cool to the touch operation.

With no menu or app you can get where you want to go in seconds (I would need half an hour with a new Zoom or Line 6 pedal to get anywhere close). It is well thought out with the controls you want to see facing you. However, not a tweaker's delight, or the confusion of nearly endless often not intuitively named options in an HX model. Just a fast path to good sound. I have settled on the 65 Deluxe (one click towards brighter tone) and the hall reverb (one click above middle reverb in the mix).

I tried it with headphones, a Bose Soundlink Color II, my guitar amp aux input, and a QSC CP8. I was quite happy with all of them (be sure to unplug a Bluetooth speaker from any USB power to avoid the common mode noise endemic in those power supplies). In comparison to the modeling in my amp, it was slightly different but equally pleasant and usable. For my purposes, since I roll the volume up on the guitar for a bit of overdrive on a solo, I could gig with it. I plan to try it direct to my CP8 at tomorrow's rehearsal.

It only has a post volume control and even the "clean" amp models require setting my PRS McCarty Thinline's volume controls to "5" to eliminate all traces of overdrive (or compression in the case of the Twin Reverb w/compressor model).

I'm not a high gain player and can't judge those amp models.

While the pictures ought to be enough to know how compact this thing is, there is nothing like seeing it in person. The build quality is really solid.
Please let us know your thoughts after rehearsal Jon.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, and thanks for the review. I just got the line 6 pod, and am getting buyer’s remorse! Like the sound and options, but not organized in a user friendly way. (ie, have to read at least the quick start guide). May have to try the mm if I can off load the pod.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-16-2021, 01:19 AM

Been looking at that too. Thanks for the review!
Old 03-16-2021, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I live in a condo and have a child. I am so getting one.

Btw if you are looking for an amp option for quieter (at times) home use, I love my Roland Blues Cube Hot. The power attenuation does a really good job preserving tone at 0.5 watt all the way to 30 (it can get crazy loud). A solid option for pseudo-tube sounds at low volume.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 03-16-2021, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
Thanks for the info. I live in a condo and have a child. I am so getting one.

Btw if you are looking for an amp option for quieter (at times) home use, I love my Roland Blues Cube Hot. The power attenuation does a really good job preserving tone at 0.5 watt all the way to 30 (it can get crazy loud). A solid option for pseudo-tube sounds at low volume.
Love my Roland BLues Cube Hot too!
Old 03-16-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Love my Roland BLues Cube Hot too!
My headphone amp and recording interface is my 30 watt Blues Cube Hot Boss Drive Special. Is there another amp with that many words in the name?

However, I would hate to have to move it around if I had been ill like @fazool was. It's light compared to a similar tube amp, but from what I gather it would be rough going taking that thing form room to room.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:00 AM

Just got mine yesterday. Unfortunately, after work I had two zoom meetings (water polo refereeing and youth soccer league board meeting), so I was only able to spend about 15 minutes messing around with it.

It's dead simple. I was able to dial up some very tasty clean tones with reverb, tremolo, etc. very quickly. I also don't really go for the high-gain stuff, so didn't really look closely at those options. It does have far fewer options than most footboard/bean form-factor preamp/effect rigs, but given it's absolute portability it has enough. I hope to be able to play around with it more as the week progresses, and maybe even trying it out as a recording interface into Audacity this weekend. It feels like a pretty high-quality item, not flimsy at all (like those wireless things you get for $35 on Amazon). So far, I'm really happy with it.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Please let us know your thoughts after rehearsal Jon.
OK here it is...

I normally use the modeling of my guitar amp and it's headphone output to drive the CP8 we use to perform as a duo (and during practice). Using a headphone amp to replace a real amp in this scenario is not a huge stretch.

At first I could not dial in the exact level of brightness I was used to and with no pre volume control I had to set the knobs on my PRS McCarty Thinline to lower levels which took some experimentation.

For the first hour I was thinking not quite good enough.

But by the end of the practice I was on top of how to make it work and it is certainly good enough for what I am doing and way less stuff to drag around.

I often comment on the AGF my hobby is music not cartage...which places me at odds with the tweakers who are much more common than minimalists on this forum.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-18-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
OK here it is...

I normally use the modeling of my guitar amp and it's headphone output to drive the CP8 we use to perform as a duo (and during practice). Using a headphone amp to replace a real amp in this scenario is not a huge stretch.

At first I could not dial in the exact level of brightness I was used to and with no pre volume control I had to set the knobs on my PRS McCarty Thinline to lower levels which took some experimentation.

For the first hour I was thinking not quite good enough.

But by the end of the practice I was on top of how to make it work and it is certainly good enough for what I am doing and way less stuff to drag around.

I often comment on the AGF my hobby is music not cartage...which often places me at odds with the tweakers who are much more common than minimalists on this forum.
Thanks Jon! I'm with you on being minimalist. The lighter and smaller the better, providing Im getting the sound that's in my head. If that makes sense. Anyway this seems like a cool piece of gear. Im assuming no problem with battery draining?

Last edited by jricc; 03-16-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

I wish our devices were a little more up-to-date with BT. With new iPhones not having a traditional headphone jack, Ive gotten used to BT wireless headphones. Sure, they come with a cord, but would be nice to just pair it.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-16-2021, 07:22 PM

Got mine in today. The thing is idiot proof simple to use. Was up and running within minutes of opening the package. I’m a Fender fan and I think it sounds pretty good on all the different models. The 65 deluxe with large hall reverb is a favorite already.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars