The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
You say it is the opposite of what you usually want to play - maybe that's the attraction. I have been very happy with my 2 jumbos (one is larger than the other) but to my (only semi-trained) ears, I don't see they are all that different than my OOO or OMs. And they don't feel all that different to play If you are very sensitive to these kind of things, then you may perceive a notable difference that I miss.
Most of the extra body volume is located off to the right of my picking arm, so it's not noticeable. And Jumbo sits lower on the knee, and more securely, because of the deeper waist. Granted, I've only had Mini Jumbos, but that's my experience.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 05-08-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriv58 View Post
If one can learn to play with the guitar body between the legs rather than perched atop the leg, size becomes much less of an issue.
That's where a big-bellied 17" Jumbo would be most uncomfortable. Just picture that. Talk about manspreading...
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 05-08-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Tell me why I should (or should'nt) get a jumbo

NorthenLights,

I think jumboes are great guitars. Be aware that jumboes are not just large size guitars, but also refer to a shape of guitar. Thus your jumbo may not be the loudest guitar you own or come into playing contact with. I also find many of the Taylor guitar shapes (GC, GA, GS, and GO) are closely related to a jumbo shape. I consider the basic jumbo shape to be the Gibson J-200.

I also find jumboes to be well balanced guitars, which suits my 100% fingerpicking playing style. I use my nails as picks. So I would say by all means, try one out. All my current guitars are 'jumboes' or their shape is jumbo-related. And they are also handsome guitars.

Most of my 6 strings are strung with Elixir PB HD Lights (.013 - .053), which also contribute to a well-balanced sound. Incidentally, my Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra is the loudest 6 string I own, and has plenty of bass to spare even with that gauge. My favorite wood combination is spruce over rosewood, and all my Taylors are X-braced models. And the Grand Orchestra is their replacement for a jumbo in the Taylor line-up.

So I do recommend a jumbo. Go forth and check them out. Good luck and good hunting.

Don
Something I wanted to add, but it's an extension of what I previously wrote, so there's the earlier post (#10) for reference. I mentioned that a jumbo is a well-balanced guitar. I wasn't just talking about the sound. Turns out that playing seated, the shape of the waist of the guitar allows it to fit nicely over whichever leg you prefer. Not only that, but it distributes the weight lower and very evenly on both sides of the chosen leg, thus requiring a lighter grip to keep it secure. And the shortest distance from the waist resting on my leg to the strings over the sound hole on my 17" lower-bout J-200 is a hair or two over 4". Thus the guitar rides very low, and I have no trouble wrapping my right arm over the (5") deep top and reaching down to fingerpick any string anywhere. I am a little on the shorter side, at 5'9" (and shrinking with age or so they tell me), and the at/near 17" jumboes (both J-200s, Grand Orchestra, the walnut jumbo, and both 12 strings) are well within my playing reach. In most cases at least 2+ inches closer to my shoulder than any full-size dreadnought would allow.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 05-09-2021 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Any better???

There was a young man from Dakar
Who wanted to get a jumbo guitar
After much useless chatter
He decided it didn't matter
And instead bought himself a sitar...
I feel redeemed.
Thank you!
Old 05-09-2021, 01:55 PM

Welcome aboard! Be sure and post pics after purchase!

Also, I like your board name. Just another reason I love living where I do.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:26 PM

Back in 2013 while making my usual pawnshop rounds, I stopped by one of my regular pawnshops.

I talked to the veteran salesman who I'd know for a long time, and asked if there were any other guitars coming out other than the ones on the rack.

He said there was one that was just getting ready to put on the floor.

He said it was and acoustic with a HUGE case.

He brought it out and opened up the case, and low and behold, it was a Taylor Jumbo.

I took it out of the case tuned it up and played it for a bit.

The guitar played and sounded really good.

I asked how much they were asking for it, and hes said $350.

Since I've bought many guitars from him and always paid cash, I asked if he could give me a better deal.

He looked in the computer and said the lowest he could go would be $270.

I said SOLD, and told him to ring me up.

I've never really been a Taylor fan, and up until that time had never owed a Taylor before.

Considering the CRAZY low price and how well it played and sounded, it was a no brainer.

My '03 Taylor Jumbo Custom

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 05-10-2021, 09:29 PM

Tell me why I should (or should'nt) get a jumbo

While diligently searching, here's some food for thought.

Indoor humidity today was 40% to start after an overnight rain, so a good day right up front. Sometimes I play a song or two with different guitars, just because. In another current thread there is a lot about guitars sounding different on any given day (and maybe the players hearing it differently).

Well this morning my laminate bodied Epiphone EJ-200 jumbo sounded exceptionally good to me right away, and ended up with the lion's share of the playtime. A one-time reclamation project, it's not exactly an expensive guitar, but it provides me with a lot of enjoyment. And it is a true jumbo size in all respects.

Point being is that you don't have to get a costly guitar to play, just one you like to play. My EJ-200 is over 25 years old and was made in Korea. No cutaway or electronics. I've had it for 3 or 4 years and it gets a lot of play during the winter 'indoor dry season' here in New England when the heat is constantly on and drying things out, including my skin. Combined with the release of the Epiphone 'inspired by Gibson' line, there are a lot of affordable options from which to choose if you want to get a jumbo guitar. And there are multiple favorable mentions here on AGF for inexpensive Guild jumbo models too.

So I am firmly in the camp of checking out a jumbo. Might be just the ticket.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-12-2021, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

You should get a jumbo. I am just shy of 5' 10" and don't have any problems whatsoever with the body size. Below left is the 17" Grand Jumbo 35 next to a 12 fret 000-28.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martin NB and GJ copy.jpg (70.1 KB, 77 views)
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 05-12-2021, 01:10 PM

I have a Guild JF 30 maple Jumbo and it seems to do fine fingerpicking. Wonderful guitar
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 05-12-2021, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

A lot of people don't realize that the larger lower bout is mostly "to the right" if you're playing seated, and it's complemented by the skinny waist, which sits in front of the player. I don't have a problem with any size (I'm just under 6' 2"), but I find my Jumbo more comfortable than my Dreads.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Here's a cool interview with Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake and Palmer fame! Speaks for itself. ENJOY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQI3ePeIJiI
Old 05-13-2021, 07:25 PM

I recently bought a 2021 SJ-200 Original Sunburst so I am definitely biased. For the last few weeks I have mostly been fingerpicking, but last night I dug into it with a pick. I was mostly interested in seeing how hard I could drive it and was blown away by the sound I was getting. Clear, balanced and powerful. Whether or not it does something that my other guitars cannot remains to be seen, but I know I am looking forward to spending the time to find out.
Taylor 712E WS X-brace
Martin 00-17s Whiskey Sunset
Martin 000-RS1
Dobro 1985 Model 36 Roundneck "The Rose"
Godin Multiac Nylon Encore Burnt Umber
Gibson Les Paul Tribute Tobacco Sunburst
Cordoba 40-R
Old 05-13-2021, 07:30 PM

You should if you find a good one. Owned my Gibson J-100 Xtra since 2005. Supreme strummer, full, woody sound for flat-picking. Very good-sounding all-purpose Fishman factory pick-up system as well. Used may be your best place to look.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:14 PM

Default Tell me why I should (or shouldn't) get a jumbo

• A good jumbo can cover it all - fingerpicking, strumming, flatpicking, crosspicking - with equal aplomb...
  • In spite of their size they're easier to handle than a dread, thanks to the waisted body - my wife is 5'2" and has no problem with a 17" jumbo 12-string, and Little Jimmy Dickens used a J-200 for years...
  • Unlike even some well-respected dreads, I've yet to play a well-made jumbo that compresses, breaks up, or runs out of dynamic headroom when you lay into it...
  • Following up on the above, I find the tone more even across the board, with greater note definition - even with the strong bass characteristic of the design - where dreads can be boomy and indistinct, especially when miked in a live setting...
  • Nothing - nothing - has the absolute cool factor of one of these 17" monsters when you're out there under the stage lights...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion