The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-28-2021, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Telecaster Deluxe

Posted this in the Stratocaster Blues thread but thought it deserved its own. After going through playing a lot of guitars, I found what I was looking for (mostly) in the Telecaster Deluxe. First and foremost I was looking for something that I liked ergonomically after not liking the control locations on the Strat. Several guitars worked, including the Les Pauls, SGs, and some PRS models. There are probably others, but I was determined to play first and then buy this time.

I just loved the neck on the Tele DLX. Nice and fat, smooth, with these wonderful rounded edges to the fretboard. Thicker than the Strat Ultra, especially as the Strat got thinner towards the neck. Not a compound radius but I'm not good enough for that to matter right now. Balance is perfect, and it's got a nice heft to it. Control locations are great. Out of the way and easy to get to quickly. I didn't need the tremolo bridge, so hardtail is fine.

I like the Humbuckers more than the single coils, it gives a sweeter, fuller tone to my ears, and sounds fantastic distorted.

Dislikes, there are a couple. The tuning machines are...well not great. The knobs are too big and I bump with my fingers one when turning another. They don't seem to hold tune very well, and the ratios are such that any tiny rotation overcorrects one way or another. Seems a finer and more sophisticated tuner would be on point at this price. I did't love the look of the rosewood fretboard when I was looking at them in the store, but I can't complain about the playability. And the bridge seems super old fashioned with just three saddles instead of 6. I will probably replace the tuners first, and then the bridge at some point, though the latter is mostly cosmetic and a little for more fine adjustment.

I really like it a lot. A lot more than the Strat, and I think it's a very cool looking guitar, and not one you see every day.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Before you blame the tuners, you really should check the nut.

Nice guitar, BTW.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-28-2021, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Before you blame the tuners, you really should check the nut.

Nice guitar, BTW.
Thanks! I really like it.

Well I have 2 issues with the tuners, the ratio and they not keeping in tune. The ratios are enough for me to replace them. I can have a tech look at the nut. Doesn't feel like it's binding anywhere, is there something else I should look at?
Old 04-28-2021, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! The rolled fretboard edges are REALLY nice! I like them much more than I thought I would. Those are the classic tele t-piece bridge saddles. Despite the obvious limitations, intonation doesnt seem to be an issue for some reason. I think Fender really upped their game recently in basic quality and features.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-29-2021, 02:28 AM

Wow that’s a beauty, congrats! Really dig the look of covered humbuckers.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:57 AM

Just perfect! There is nothing as cool as a Telecaster with that big, beautiful CBS era headstock on the neck! Enjoy your new guitar.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:48 AM

Great looking guitar. Not likely the tuners but anything is possible.

One of my biggest guitar regrets is selling a '70s Tele Deluxe, but it was either that or food and shelter...or swallow my pride and sponge off my parents.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:39 AM

As per up-thread, nice looking guitar. Also like some there I'm not sure that it's your tuning machines with your holding-tuning issues, but then I don't have the guitar in my hands to judge and you do.

Definitely hold off on the bridge/saddles. There's a little something with the three brass barrels that contributes to the clean tone on many Teles. I can't tell even zooming in on your pic, but you may have (and if you don't, you can get) compensated Tele brass bridge barrels. I have one Tele with compensated barrels, but I generally don't bother myself as it's no more off than many acoustic or archtop guitar bridges. When doing the intonation adjustments on a three barrel Tele I just average the pair of strings out.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-29-2021, 01:05 PM

Dirk - Congrats! It's a beautiful Tele.

Regarding tuning, change the strings first before deciding anything. Even then, it sounds like you want some tuners with a more precise ratio which is fine. You'll need to do a little investigation to find out if there's any drop in tuner that doesn't require any new holes drilled.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the comments! If not the tuners, what would people be looking at? It does seem to be getting better in terms of holding tune except for the low E, which moves a bit. The nut seems very smooth and seems good.

Anyway, I don't love the tuners compared to the ones I had on the Stratocaster Ultra, which seemed to have smaller heads and were locking which was really nice.

Dru the strings are new, they're 10's that I installed. Then I did a setup which turned out really well. I love the adjustability on electrics!

On the bridge, I hear you! I saw a video on YouTube comparing a Tele with the 3 saddle design and the 6 saddle design and the difference in tone was WAY more than I would have thought. I'm not sure I care too much about the Tele sound, I'm more about this guitar because I like the way it feels and plays, and I'm more a hard rock guy where I like the humbucker and fuller tones anyway. But the bridge isn't really giving me any issues so I'll at least not start off tinkering with that. Here's that video.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 04-29-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:17 PM

Have you had a chance to weigh it?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-29-2021, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Have you had a chance to weigh it?
We just have a digital bathroom scale, which doesn't really work. I like what it weighs, less than a Les, but with good heft. I picked this one out from a few as it really had acoustic resonance and sustain. Feels a bit heavier than my Strat, but I can't be totally sure, never had them at the same time.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Dirk!

Very cool Tele!

I have never played one with dual humbuckers. I will have to do that someday!

- Glenn
Old 04-29-2021, 09:10 PM

Very nice. I've always liked the Deluxes. I almost bought one a couple of times, and I kind of wish I had. A Fender neck is like home for me, they're where I feel most comfortable.
Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars