The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-17-2019, 09:05 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
That's modern technology compared to my first rig. I can truthfully say I started "overdubbing" more than 50 years ago by pushing the erase magnet back with a pencil while in the record mode.

Very clever - I had one almost exactly like that, but it was before I picked up my first guitar!

Old 03-17-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
This is a great idea. I also came from years of using tape, and for quite a while after starting to use the computer, I think my mindset was still on the sort of tape recorder workflow. Then I did a session at a good studio, and it was eye-opening. I'd never seen someone edit, mix, and generally manipulate the tracks like that. I learned a ton just watching the engineer work on a few songs, then went home and figured out how to do similar stuff with my own setup. Well worth paying for a short session to see how the pros do it.
I agree. I just did a free over the phone "How to master you music " session with the friend of a friend. He's using Ableton. I don't know Ableton, but that really didn't matter. I talked him through my work flow, stopping to ask if he could do each one on Ableton in some way. He said, "Yes", or asked a question and we moved on.

I told him to contact me if he had any more questions. My point was that mastering is not brain surgery and that I would be empowering him to do the work himself.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I've gone about as far as I want to with technology in the rest of my life - I'd like to keep my music fun as it's one of the last things I can hold onto in that category.
But you must have some desire to move ahead... otherwise why post here? Just keep using the Tascam and hope it outlasts you. :-)

There are a few very simple digital options like a Zoom or the Spire, and the basics of a DAW aren't that hard to master, but any of them will take some effort and a learning curve. Do you want to make that investment or not?
Old 03-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
But you must have some desire to move ahead... otherwise why post here?
Read my first few posts - SIMPLE. None of these options sound too simple. In looking around at the software and hardware, it appears I'd probably need to upgrade my main computer as well. I don't want to spend a bunch of money.

My main focus for the was to SIMPLY get rid of some of the transfer steps.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Understanding of course anyone 50 or older (Most of us here a AGF) fall under the category of "not having been raised with the computer language."
Disagreeing with you on this if you're saying that anyone now 50 was not raised with computers. That's not right. That would mean you were 17 when personal computer began their reign, in 1986.

I'm 70. Computers came into my life professionally when I was 42. (1986) BTW, PCs were NOT friendly, \:dat/dos\blah balah blah meant nothing to me. Apple's system simply communicated better.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:33 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Disagreeing with you on this if you're saying that anyone now 50 was not raised with computers. .
You are assuming that we used them in our "professional" life......some of us didn't. I'll be 57 in a bit, and there were no computers in schools, I almost never had the need to use one in my work, and I didn't feel the need to own a computer until '98.

I've basically used it for email and to get around the internet. There are some simple functions (for most of you) that I've never had the need to learn......nor do I really care to.

For perspective - I also still use a flip phone. Not interested in becoming one of the zombies that walk around glued to their hand computer.

Might be best to just let this thread drop guys - not getting anywhere at all. Wasn't my intention to get everyone's dander up.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Read my first few posts - SIMPLE.
I suppose we can disagree on what "simple" means. Any new technology/process, analog or digital, will require learning something new.

Folks here have presented a number of options, many of which really won't take that much time to learn, and aren't terribly expensive (e.g. you can try Reaper on your existing computer for free). Only you can decide if you want to make any investment at all.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Disagreeing with you on this if you're saying that anyone now 50 was not raised with computers. That's not right. That would mean you were 17 when personal computer began their reign, in 1986.

I'm 70. Computers came into my life professionally when I was 42. (1986) BTW, PCs were NOT friendly, \:dat/dos\blah balah blah meant nothing to me. Apple's system simply communicated better.
Not quite clear on what you are actually saying you disagree and is not right ? Are you saying that those who would be considered to have not been raised with a computer would be some age range older or younger than 50 ? I simply assumed that term "raised" would be thought to between birth and 18 years old. So somebody 17 or 18 or older when a computer came into the household, would be considered to not have been raised with it , wouldn't they ???.. Also I just picked 50 as a rounded number because for example my son is 43 and he was more or less "raised" with a computer in the house from the time he was 9 or 10 or so. If I remember he spent hours playing some game called Wolfenstein or something...

And yes I remember having worked in a Stereo Shop in 1981 that had a DOS computer (supposedly for inventory at point of sale), that owner spent more time cursing at then actually operating... I don't think he ever got it working correctly at least not before I left in 83.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 03-17-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:54 PM

I think you are missing something basic here. You don't need "computer skills" to successfully record using a DAW you need recording skills.
And from what you have said so far you already have most of those skills.

You obviously know how a mixer works, how to arm tracks for recording, how to set recording levels correctly. I assume you also know the purpose of a bus whereby you might have a master reverb fx and you "send" as much level from each track as you wish to the master reverb fx for example.
You are already working with digital recording. You understand setting the appropriate levels for each track and working the pan controls to create a stereo image.

My preferred solution is Logic Pro X on an Apple computer. I don't know the software intimately, I just know enough to be able to do what I want to do without getting in the way of my creative goals. I'm a year older than you and don't quite consider myself an old man.

I guarantee if you can learn to record into a DAW you will become a better musician over time.

Your singing and playing sound fine to me though if you had recorded over a metronome or drum backing track I'm sure your timing would sound tighter.

You could try Reaper as it has a generous trial period and seems to be well liked by the user base.

You could do worse than using one of the cheap Behringer UMC HD audio interfaces which only cost around £50 here in the UK so probably a similar cost in the US.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 03-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Not quite clear on what you are actually saying you disagree and is not right ? Are you saying that those who would be considered to have not been raised with a computer would be some age range older or younger than 50 ? I simply assumed that term "raised" would be thought to between birth and 18 years old. So somebody 17 or 18 or older when a computer came into the household, would be considered to not have been raised with it , wouldn't they ???.. Also I just picked 50 as a rounded number because for example my son is 43 and he was more or less "raised" with a computer in the house from the time he was 9 or 10 or so. If I remember he spent hours playing some game called Wolfenstein or something...

And yes I remember having worked in a Stereo Shop in 1981 that had a DOS computer (supposedly for inventory at point of sale), that owner spent more time cursing at then actually operating... I don't think he ever got it working correctly at least not before I left in 83.
I think I fell pretty much on the line of demarcation as regards computer use. I'm 70. The DOS computers came in to work when I was in my 40's. The first ones were DOS and I found them inscrutable.

My observation was that most guys a year or two older than me didn't make the jump to computers. (of course, a few did). I never really considered myself a computer geek. Perhaps I'm wrong. I was writing audio production articles for Radio World, a trade magazine. I began by writing long hand and then typing out a final draft on a typewriter. In '87, I think, the publisher said he wanted everything delivered by email. I got an Apple SE and a 56 k baud modem and never looked back. Most everyone I hung with made the shift at about the same time. Some to Macs, somme to PCs. So that's my perspective.

Paulp1960, I will disagree with you about not needing computer skills. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, simple attention to detail is required for file management. In addition, knowing how to make an mp3 on your own computer comes in really handy. Knowing how to create a backup of your drive that automatically backs up every day is also pretty important for happiness as is running simple diagnostic "computer health" software. To not pay attention to these will cause you no end of grief.

There is no dander raised here, just observations and the experience I've had with myself and others.

I have no idea what burdens you're experiencing with file transfers. Could you be more specific?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:08 PM

Fair comment TY Ford. I must admit I'm a bit of an IT geek myself having worked in IT for the last 34 years.

I still don't think using the basic facilities of a DAW requires too much IT knowledge, especially since the OP is already recording digitally and understands mixers etc.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD