The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Help removing a little excess noise

Hi. I am playing around, and trying to record a very pure and simple song of mine that needs a quiet feel for the guitar and vocals. I just tried a track with my guitar recorded by a USB Snowball Mic, into garageband on an iPad. This is typically my setup anyway - although sometimes I will use the Apogee Mic.

I am getting the quiet sound I really like... almost a little muted and farther away... but when I listen back there is a little excess hiss, or white noise, or I dont know what you might call it.

I dont want to completely get rid of it, as it is natural in a certain amount I guess. But can I mitigate it post recording? The funcvtionality on garageband is limited on an iPad... Maybe it is better on the garageband on my mac. Thoughts? Suggestions? Much appreciated.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

If it's in the recording and not in your system.... You could try the Visual EQ in GB and and click in the raised part of the wave form and drag it up as far as it will go then drag it back and forth until you hear the hiss sound you are talking about ( it will be boosted and more noticeable. Then drag it down to start cutting that freq. area unfortunately it does not look like you have a Q control ( narrows or widens the affected freq. range) but you might be able to cut it enough to suit your purpose.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-07-2013, 06:43 AM

What's your monitor system? The noise exists, we assume, in the recording. However, your monitor equipment might be more to blame.

If you're hearing the noise when using headphones, it's far less likely you'll hear the noise when using higher quality loudspeakers placed in a room. If you're using computer speakers and sitting in the extreme near field to monitor the sound quality, try playing the recording through a more transparent, well balanced consumer quality system.

No doubt some speakers/headphones emphasize the upper frequencies where system noise will exist. However, well balanced consumer audio speakers and amplifiers well placed in a room and positioned 8-12 feet from the listener can reveal a very different portrayal of a recording. Likewise, such a system might also reveal other problems in your recording technique previously unnoticed on a lesser quality system.

If either situation is the case here, you'll have to decide who you are recording for. Are you attempting a recording which only sounds right on one system of suspect quality? Or, are you trying to make the best recording you can with the equipment you have at your disposal?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Post the recording.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Most likely the hiss is coming from the built-in A-to-D converter in the USB mic. Other than notch filtering with an EQ (which will affect the overall sound, as well), you're stuck with it.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-07-2013, 09:39 AM

How do you notch filter "hiss"? It's broadband, either white noise (most likely) or pink noise. Hiss represents noise over many, if not all, octaves.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVigne View Post
How do you notch filter "hiss"? It's broadband, either white noise (most likely) or pink noise. Hiss represents noise over many, if not all, octaves.
Find the worst offending frequencies, most likely it is on the high end.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM

I don't feel you have a grasp of the term "broadband".

So you are suggesting, what? Rolling off all frequencies above the midrange? What happens to the music?

Using a graphic eq your choices for where to place the cut will be limited. If the eq has multiple frequency centers above, say, 2 kHz, you'll be creating a roller coaster ride for the frequency response.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVigne View Post
I don't feel you have a grasp of the term "broadband".

So you are suggesting, what? Rolling off all frequencies above the midrange? What happens to the music?

Using a graphic eq your choices for where to place the cut will be limited. If the eq has multiple frequency centers above, say, 2 kHz, you'll be creating a roller coaster ride for the frequency response.
It's all speculation until the OP posts a sample. You like to argue, don't you?

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the replies gents. So far it seems your expertise far outweighs my ability to grasp it

For one thing it sounds much better now on Soundcloud through speakers than it did on garageband through headphones. I think the headphones were amplifying it. I like simple natural recording, more unprocessed if you will.

Here is the recording https://soundcloud.com/sal-from-chatham/behind-me-now

Any suggestions to improve it please fire away. And thanks for all the thoughtful replies.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

whoops wrong recording. I will upload it when I get home... I thought I had already.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Thanks for all the replies gents. So far it seems your expertise far outweighs my ability to grasp it

For one thing it sounds much better now on Soundcloud through speakers than it did on garageband through headphones. I think the headphones were amplifying it. I like simple natural recording, more unprocessed if you will.

Here is the recording https://soundcloud.com/sal-from-chatham/behind-me-now

Any suggestions to improve it please fire away. And thanks for all the thoughtful replies.
That's why its good to listen to your recordings through headphones, but to mix through monitor speakers - headphones, due to their proximity to your ears and the clarity of the stereo field will allow you to hear things that otherwise may be concealed in the mix.
Depending on what you are using for speakers, of course, because the frequency repsonse of those make a difference, too.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-08-2013, 02:18 PM

"It's all speculation until the OP posts a sample. You like to argue, don't you?"

Speculation? "Hiss" is speculative? I don't recall ever hearing it described as such.

Speculation eq would help? Not really. Certainly not without affecting the music signal also.

How is it arguing to say "hiss" is broadband?

EQ's are seldom the answer to a constant, static noise problem. They create valleys and peaks and remove music along with the noise. A graphic eq's center frequencies are seldom where they will do any benefit to removing steady state noise. The end result is a ragged frequency response which is unsuited to a good recording. Even multi-band parametric eq's are rather useless when it comes to removing "noise".

Those are simply facts. I like facts.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:13 PM

Try a noise gate VST. You can find free ones online.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Not having heard your recording with "hiss", I can only suggest the following:

1) Identify the source of the "hiss" (it is likely something in your recording chain).

2) Remove the source of the hiss (which may require changing settings, adjusting or replacing gear).

3) Record again without the hiss.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD