The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberch View Post
Well, I sold 5 at a show at a small restaurant the other day. Those five folks might disagree.
I think that's just it. Most of us win our little battles one fan at a time, and the CD is something you can give to someone. Maybe for a major label it isn't going to be the most efficient way to deliver music, but for independent artists and anyone who delivers most of their product at live events I think the CD wil still be around for a couple more years at least.

So what's next? Will we be delivering download cards? Is this the end of independent musicians being able to create product and actually sell it?

Congrats on the sales!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:01 AM

IMHO - The CD will still hang in for independent musicians selling recordings at gigs & from their websites.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:18 AM

I wonder how this is going to impact those of us who listen primarily to classical and jazz.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
I wonder how this is going to impact those of us who listen primarily to classical and jazz.
It's gonna kill me. I find out about new music by going to Jazz Record Mart and buying something by a new leader I've never heard of because I like the sidemen on his disc...

That said, I'm releasing a digital only album soon. I've told myself I need to keep with the times. Well, that, and the 150 or so copies of the last disc I made that I still have around the house, currently serving as coasters or propping up the short leg of a table.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 AM

If great liner notes and art work/cover pictures accompanied digital downloads, I'd feel a bit more like I was back in the 70s. Looking at the album covers and reading the notes was half the fun.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Something relevant to hold in your hand is a nice thing, and those double LP covers were also functional for separating this from that before, during and after the music.
Ty Ford
and we know exactly what you were separating! ha!
i didn't think about that until you mentioned it!!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-10-2011, 03:50 PM

With my target audience and my gigs, I still move MUCH more physical product than electronic product.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
and yet, some groups are actually doing limited vinyl releases along with whatever else they manufacture to distribute.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Just the other day I was talking to someone in a very popular band, that also tours internationally, http://www.stolensweets.com/ and they're excited because they're about to release a 78!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
[snip]
Well, that, and the 150 or so copies of the last disc I made that I still have around the house, currently serving as coasters or propping up the short leg of a table.
I don't see a way to buy one through your website. Are you holding them off the market to stimulate demand?

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
We used to use a shoe box top for that because albums were a bit too slippery to get a quality separation.

Anyway, for many years, I enjoyed a quality component stereo system and had a decent turntable and lots of vinyl albums. Then CDs came along. Somewhere along the way, I began to favor convenience over a particular quality of audio. To me, MP3s generally sound better than the average cassette did (though I realize there were some audiophile cassettes available in limited quantities). I have not really just sat and listened to music for a long time. Instead, I listen to it while doing something else. I can fit a few thousand MP3s in a little player that is small enough that I could fit a couple of these little things in the palm of my hand. Clip the thing to my shirt pocket and I have music all day at work. It sounds fine to me for what I use it for. For a lot of years, many people heard those great standards on AM radio, but still enjoyed listening.

I have a large library of CDs that I have collected over the years, including a lot of the Mosaic limited edition box sets, many of which are now out of print. I rip these to MP3 and put them on my tiny MP3 player. Mostly these days, I purchase my music from CDBaby as download MP3s. In rare cases where I really want to preserve the recording in "solid" form, I will also purchase the CD (usually after having listened to the MP3s for a while so I know that I really want it in CD format). I no longer even have a "hifi" system at all. When I bought a condo, I sold my component system and used some of the proceeds to buy a Bose Wave thing (the tall one) and banked the rest. Despite the hype, the Bose system is really just a very good "boom box", rather than coming close to comparing to a "$5000 separate component system" as they were hyped. I knew that when I got it, since I replaced such a component system with it - for the convenience and space saving factor (as well as creating less sound so as not to disturb a neighbor). I don't use it much, instead favoring the MP3 format.

Among the people I know, MP3 is the media of choice for similar reasons to those I mentioned - convenience. Another thing about MP3s is that I can learn from them by running them through Transcribe to slow them down and pick off ideas that appeal to me instead of wearing out vinyl, playing the same section over and over at 16 RPM.

To me, proclamations such as the CD is dead, seem too sweeping a statement for the large music market where there are so many different people with different attitudes toward music. I would not at all expect everyone reading this thread to agree with or share the same approach to listening to music that I currently have. Vinyl is still around and so will be CDs as long as there is enough of a market (even a niche market) to support them. Cassettes were really as disposable as MP3s, so I see that a bit differently than vinyl or CDs.

I have not been to a decent stereo shop in many years, but I recall spending many Saturdays bringing in the best of my vinyl and sitting listening to different combinations of speakers, turntables/cartridges/preamps/poweramps, and figuring out how I could get that sound at home without spending all the money I might make in my lifetime for that system. For the music I mostly listened to, the DCM Time Windows fit my budget and did really well on solo nylon string guitar, piano, etc. I still have my top of the line Grado RS-1 headphones and matching preamp - but nothing of that quality to hook them up to. I long ago sold my rack mount Marantz CD player that was a good match for these. It will probably be quite some time yet before digital file media is up to the quality of those headphones, but I can wait.

It is interesting how, when the next development comes along, people will oppose it as being inferior to what currently exists. When CDs came along, there was much controversy about digital vs vinyl, as happened with tubes vs transistors for audio equipment. There certainly is merit to those viewpoints, though there are different reasons why people switch to the new development, usually having to do with increased convenience.

To me, it seems the biggest change came with recording when it first became a market. The availability of a recording of music has gradually replaced the live making of music to the point where many weddings now hire a DJ instead of a band. People don't gather around the piano or have impromptu jam sessions at the end of a work day. Instead, we put on a recording, whether it is on a fine stereo system using the best vinyl or pop in earbuds connected to an MP3 player. The advent of recorded music changed all that way back when. That is the thing to complain about, if there ever was a technological impact on society - music became a thing we consumed rather than a thing we did. Now, it goes farther - instead of talking to the person next to us, we talk on cell phones, text, or use forums. I see people standing at a bus stop, not talking to each other, but instead each on a cell phone. Wouldn't it be fun if they all carried travel guitars and jammed with each other and swapped licks instead?

Tony
Old 11-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltoid View Post
...How much longer before DVDs are obsolete?
Interesting discussion.

We are 1 year 11 months from retiring and plan to spend about half the yr in our RV and the other half at home. When we are on the road, the iMac, iPad, iPhone and MacBook Air are our entertainment and communication center.

We have a small Bose system in the RV (w/ a small subwoofer), and YouTube and iTunes are our music/video system. The radio has been replaced by Shoutcast or Pandora, and why would I want to haul either CDs or DVDs w/ us (much less a turntable) when our monitor (24'' iMac) is perfectly adequate. I carry my Voyage-Air guitar most of our trips too.

My obsession w/ optimum sound began to deteriorate when the house began to be overtaken by boxes of stored CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, reels of tape, and other remnants of bygone days. I can still hear differences, but I really don't care as much about them any more.

After spending 3 weeks in Spain, France, Italy, Croatia w/ only an iPad and iPod, and a decent set of head phones, I'll sacrifice the bulkiness for the convenience of carrying the movies and music I love and enjoy in my pocket or side bag.

I loved my Walkman, I loved my Discman, and I love my iPhone/iPod/iPads as well. Well actually, I love music, and they are my opportunity to enjoy it wherever in the world we are.

Oh yeah - I have not bought a CD in over 3 years, as people give them away. And after I rip them to iTunes I give them away too (I ask if I can). I do download quite a few tunes and albums from iTunes. I often don't download an entire album because there are usually songs which stand out from the rest, and those are the ones I prefer.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
I often don't download an entire album because there are usually songs which stand out from the rest, and those are the ones I prefer.
And I wonder when this type of thinking will result in the death of the...LP, CD...whatever you wanna call it - long format record. If everyone thinks this way (and I know a lot of people do), it almost makes more sense to only release singles.

I personally prefer to have the entire CD. I like to hear the whole record in the order that the artist intended it. When using my iPod, I listen almost exclusively to entire albums. The only time I ever shuffle is I'm having a party or some other social gathering.

The thing is that I find that, when I listen this way, my favorites often change over time, and, down the road, some songs that were not singles or were not songs I considered the stronger songs on the record become my favorites.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
I don't see a way to buy one through your website. Are you holding them off the market to stimulate demand?
I'm not going to make people pay money for 'em.

Actually, if you're interested in 70+ minutes of electronic noise improvisations, microhouse and glitch beats with jazz guitar layered over the top, send me a PM, and I'll mail you one. It's a record I made straight out of college and it's...ummm...."challenging" listening.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-11-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I'm not going to make people pay money for 'em.

Actually, if you're interested in 70+ minutes of electronic noise improvisations, microhouse and glitch beats with jazz guitar layered over the top, send me a PM, and I'll mail you one. It's a record I made straight out of college and it's...ummm...."challenging" listening.

I know what you mean. I still have a shoe box full of the first CD by my son's and my blues/rock band. Listening to it today it's hard to believe how proud we were at the time.

When we did our second one, we both thought "OK! That's more like it!". Maybe. But it, too, is almost embarrassing to listen to today.

I wonder whether we sounded that bad when playing bars, but the patrons just didn't care. I do know that both my son and our female vocalist could sell a song like crazy on stage, even though each sometimes had intonation problems.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD