The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
No, I don't. Usually I would simply create two mono tracks for guitar, one for L mic, one for R mic, then record. Create a third mono track for vocals, then record. Add plugin effects such as EQ and reverb to taste. Nothing fancy.

I can understand what everyone is describing logically, and you are right, it really isn't difficult, but what I am looking at in front of me software-wise doesn't appear to allow me to accomplish what I am being told.
Understood. This seems like a case where you need FIRST to invest in understanding the concept of Aux sends and Aux returns. It's a simple concept and although I don't work with Reaper I do know the software supports that.

Do it first "in the software" and for a moment forget about the Lexicon. Truth be told you'll continue to flounder until the concept and later concept's are understood. It should take about ten minutes or so. From there you'd simply replace the software reverbs with a virtual insert that contains the Lexicon.

1) Create a mono audio track.

2) Apparently in Reaper audio tracks also serve as Aux returns tracks so create a 2nd audio track but this time make it a stereo audio track

3) Go back to the mono track

4)There is an i/o button on Reapers mini mixer to the left of the wave form on that mono audio track.

5) Click the i/o button on the mono audio track. You are creating an aux send.

6) A drop down menu will then appear asking you to select a destination of the send you're about to create.

7) Select the stereo audio track as the destination from that drop down menu.

8) Go back to the stereo audio track that we'll now call the aux return track.

9) On that stereo track call up a software reverb.

10) Now back to the mono track in which you have created a send over to the stereo Aux track.

11) There will be a send level control. Think of it as a water spicket that's sending audio (water) over to the Aux track thats holding the reverb.

Let's get that far and we'll continue from there..
Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 PM

1) Create a mono audio track. Done

2) Apparently in Reaper audio tracks also serve as Aux returns tracks so create a 2nd audio track but this time make it a stereo audio track. Ok, but I have different options here. Because my PCM92 is connected via the S/PDIF ins and outs, I guess I should choose "Input S/PDIF 1 / Input S/PDIF 2".

3) Go back to the mono track. OK

4)There is an i/o button on Reapers mini mixer to the left of the wave form on that mono audio track. Yes, right next to the "env" button above the pan control.

5) Click the i/o button on the mono audio track. You are creating an aux send. Done

6) A drop down menu will then appear asking you to select a destination of the send you're about to create. OK

7) Select the stereo audio track as the destination from that drop down menu. Yes, track 2

8) Go back to the stereo audio track that we'll now call the aux return track. OK

9) On that stereo track call up a software reverb. OK

10) Now back to the mono track in which you have created a send over to the stereo Aux track. OK

11) There will be a send level control. Think of it as a water spicket that's sending audio (water) over to the Aux track thats holding the reverb. The send level control and the track volume control appear to be one in the same. When I move the volume control for the send, the track volume control moves the same.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Rick : Hey you might want to take a screen shot/s of your Reaper mix window to post here which might make it easy for people to see what you are doing and make suggestions.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
2) Apparently in Reaper audio tracks also serve as Aux returns tracks so create a 2nd audio track but this time make it a stereo audio track. Ok, but I have different options here. Because my PCM92 is connected via the S/PDIF ins and outs, I guess I should choose "Input S/PDIF 1 / Input S/PDIF 2".

Hey Rick we'll talk but....this is where it all goes to hell in a hand basket. Take the Lexicon for a day or two and lock it in a closet downstairs. Your trying to fly an F-18 without first cracking open the "flight for Cessna beginners handbook"

If you don't first master the fundamental idea of aux sends and returns the ADDED glitch of an outboard device will always knock you for a loop. That and a) you need to have this tool ( that is aux sends and returns) at your disposal and b) maybe as important there are many variations on this theme that also will be useful in the future....I'm just afraid to throw anymore metal in the already badly grinding gears

The Lex will work and it will be great for you (they're magical, magical boxes) but not until you stop putting the cart before the horse. The software scheme of aux sends and returns is a MUCH, MUCH easier visual lesson. From there adding the Lex will not only make fundamental sense but you'll have the knowledge of how and why one would use it this way and how and why one might want to use variants of this theme. There will be times that it may make sense instantiating a plug-in OR the Lexicon on an individual track instead of an Aux return track, Utterly no way to establish that without first having the fundamentals....

Go back and read that check list I gave and heed the advice of momentarily forgetting about the Lex and using (temporarily) a Reaper reverb instantiated on a STEREO Reaper track designated now as a Stereo Aux return.

As to the aux send control being locked with the fader (if it really is) that's got to be some sort of preference in Reaper. A "send" should always be independent of the fader itself. Now there is "pre" and "post" send choices for most DAW's but that's getting back to putting the cart before the horse.

Google "Reaper aux sends and returns" and see what shows up!!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 PM

Got it, I will heed your advice.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Got it, I will heed your advice.
Rick perhaps this will help http://en.wikiaudio.org/Reaper:Bussing_effects

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-20-2011, 07:40 AM

KevWind, Thanks for that! I also learned that, in Reaper, there is a VST plugin called "ReaInsert" which is what allows one the ability to add outboard effects. The plugin also allows one to compensate for latency. I stumbled across this plugin a few days ago and played around with it, not fully understanding how to use it. Josegh Hanna gave me a little tutorial of some of the basics about creating an effects bus, so I am feeling much more confident. sdelsolray also provided some great input!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD