The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-15-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
You spent how much money so you can make MP3's ??
Actually I have not used tape for many years. However I believe your logic here is flawed.
If someone requires tape, or anything else in order to obtain the sound they require, then it is what it is. The delivery medium is of no consequence to that fact. A warm analog master is not lost to mp3. Just diluted to some degree, like everything else.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-15-2016, 02:05 PM

Time for a reality check on the state of the music business. Most major record stores have closed up shop. The majority of musicians never sell any cd's albums or records these days. Most music is transferred by music streams or mp3's. The music buying public is demanding low cost or free music. In order to meet this challenge, the cost of music production has to be kept low. In many cases it's the artist themselves that are bankrolling these costs. In only rare instances are record companies providing a recording advance now days, if at all. Because of these realities, home studio's were born to give the artists a means to record his or her music. Last time I checked, a pro studio in this area was charging $135 dollars an hour with a 4 hour minimum plus tape expenses. Which means an artists could easily spend a couple thousand dollars in a day or two, and still not have anything worthwhile. Having my own home studio gives me unlimited studio time. Sometimes it takes a good while to produce a good quality album...I read years ago that Bob Seeger spent a year in the studio to come up with one of his albums. Just imagine his bill !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 09-15-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Time for a reality check on the state of the music business. Most major record stores have closed up shop. The majority of musicians never sell any cd's albums or records these days. Most music is transferred by music streams or mp3's. The music buying public is demanding low cost or free music. In order to meet this challenge, the cost of music production has to be kept low. In many cases it's the artist themselves that are bankrolling these costs. In only rare instances are record companies providing a recording advance now days, if at all. Because of these realities, home studio's were born to give the artists a means to record his or her music. Last time I checked, a pro studio in this area was charging $135 dollars an hour with a 4 hour minimum plus tape expenses. Which means an artists could easily spend a couple thousand dollars in a day or two, and still not have anything worthwhile. Having my own home studio gives me unlimited studio time. Sometimes it takes a good while to produce a good quality album...I read years ago that Bob Seeger spent a year in the studio to come up with one of his albums. Just imagine his bill !!
What does this have to do with the fact that the sound you put to mp3 remains quite recognizable?

Anyway, I hear you about cost concerns. However, tight budgets only make it much more imperative that you apply your available cash in the most effective manor.
Actually, I find that as I typically record solo acoustic guitar at home, that it is much less necessary to have megabux room treatments in order to get good results. You can do something with blankets, etc. You can do a lot more with inexpensive home made traps. When you start bringing in drum kits and bass amps, then that's another story.
At the end of the day, you can't fight physics, so why fight the great advice that you have been given here?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-15-2016, 02:47 PM

Well as I've mentioned before I simply don't have the room for anything else in my studio. No room for bass traps, no room for fiberglass panels...If you were here in this room you'd understand. I'm jammed packed the way it is.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-15-2016, 02:57 PM

Well you can spend a fortune on recording and mixing and mastering a song, and really now, what are you going to do with it then ?? In today's world it'll probably end up being mixed to mp3. If you're really lucky, your song may end up on a television commercial, but 9 times out of ten,,, it'll end up at a music streaming service, like iTunes or something....if you are a performing artist, maybe you can sell a few cd's at your shows, but even those artists have 1000's of unsold cd's sitting in their basement.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-15-2016, 03:29 PM

Just so you know, iTunes has 26 million mp3's on it. How's that for competition ??
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 09-15-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Well as I've mentioned before I simply don't have the room for anything else in my studio. No room for bass traps, no room for fiberglass panels...If you were here in this room you'd understand. I'm jammed packed the way it is.
If you in fact cannot fit some 2" and 4" wall mounted traps because there is so much stuff, then honestly, I can see absolutely no way that you can mix in there.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD