The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-31-2015, 09:24 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Dang... looks like I missed out on all the fun... we had a storm on Saturday that knocked the electricity out for over a half a million. We are still without power, so I'm limited on my online time. Some good stuff in this thread though
Old 08-31-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
Dang... looks like I missed out on all the fun... we had a storm on Saturday that knocked the electricity out for over a half a million. We are still without power, so I'm limited on my online time. Some good stuff in this thread though
Hope you haven't suffered any personal harm of loss due to the big storm. It was certainly the lead story on the news here in the east yesterday.
Re: the thread; I have to confess to being somewhat overwhelmed at times but learning a great deal. Prior to this thread I'd never even heard of AC Power Conditioners. So another debate about another piece of gear and it's relative importance to the whole home recording deal has been set in motion. Do you use a Power Conditioner and, if so, which one and does it make a difference?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:03 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Hope you haven't suffered any personal harm of loss due to the big storm. It was certainly the lead story on the news here in the east yesterday.
Just a fridge and a freezer worth of slowly rotting food... We've been down for 44 hrs so far and current estimates show us not being due for restoration for another 14hrs.

Quote:
So another debate about another piece of gear and it's relative importance to the whole home recording deal has been set in motion. Do you use a Power Conditioner and, if so, which one and does it make a difference?
Don't go near Gearslutz with that as a search enquiry... the results are terrifying. The biggest problem with electrical noise is finding out what it actually is, what the root cause is. Without knowing where the problem lies it's almost impossible to fix. As stated somewhere earlier in this thread, real conditioners cost a ton of money and even then they may not fix a problem. As I read somewhere else, from a knowledgable electrical engineering dude; most modern electronic devices are highly shielded in the first place so the lower cost 'cleaner' power strips etc. are really not going to add anything to the chain.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
Just a fridge and a freezer worth of slowly rotting food... We've been down for 44 hrs so far and current estimates show us not being due for restoration for another 14hrs.
Sorry to hear about your fridge and freezer full of rotting food but glad to hear that no one was hurt.
Quote:
Don't go near Gearslutz with that as a search enquiry... the results are terrifying. The biggest problem with electrical noise is finding out what it actually is, what the root cause is. Without knowing where the problem lies it's almost impossible to fix. As stated somewhere earlier in this thread, real conditioners cost a ton of money and even then they may not fix a problem. As I read somewhere else, from a knowledgable electrical engineering dude; most modern electronic devices are highly shielded in the first place so the lower cost 'cleaner' power strips etc. are really not going to add anything to the chain.
Already did the Gearslutz search and yup......the results were terrifying. Your view on power conditioners seems to be the consensus here on the AGF but I'm still wondering if a Canadian Tire $19.99 power bar isn't making the AC power dirtier?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD