The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM

Default My Love Affair with Monels and D'Addario NB's may be over

Not throwing out my spare sets yet, but after a recent post I decided to go back to my previous favorite - D'Addario EJ16s - to A/B them. Wow, bright and warm and delicious on both my Seagull Artist Studio and my Alvarez Masterworks Mahogany. I'm keeping the Monels on a couple others right now and I'm sure I'll probably go back and forth, but it was nice to realize what I had with the EJ16's. They are also super cheap when you by them in 10 packs. I do love the lifespan of Monels and D'Addario NBs, as well as how they look, but they might be missing a little warmth. The jury is still out in this courtroom, so we'll just have to see how things play out.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 03-24-2019, 08:52 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I'm going to start recording strings after they have a couple of days play time. I'll just do folders of the guitar's name and then do the name of the wav file as the string description, date, gauge, etc. It'll be interesting to see comparisons of the same strings on different guitars at the same string age too. I'l record them in the same room without any external mics to keep things even and its for convenience too as I can do these recording on the day needed. I won't have to wait for a quiet weekend.

It's so easy to get enamored by the new string sound. I think it throws off comparisons because we're comparing new strings to strings going out the door.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

I like the lifespan of the NBs as well, they’re all I use for gigging nowadays, but for recording the EJs have more warmth and overtones most times. Would agree the NBs have a midrange scoop but sometimes that’s good once you get past the initial crisp sound.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 03-24-2019, 08:59 PM

I'm a big fan of Monels on mahogany and NB's on almost everything else but I've ventured out and tried a few different strings recently - I blame the AGF!
Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze work nicely on mahogany too and DR Sunbeams really took me by surprise on my EJ-200 .... so much so that I ordered more sets on day 2 .... oh, and some DR Rares too for comparison.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-24-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
Not throwing out my spare sets yet, but after a recent post I decided to go back to my previous favorite - D'Addario EJ16s - to A/B them. Wow, bright and warm and delicious on both my Seagull Artist Studio and my Alvarez Masterworks Mahogany. I'm keeping the Monels on a couple others right now and I'm sure I'll probably go back and forth, but it was nice to realize what I had with the EJ16's. They are also super cheap when you by them in 10 packs. I do love the lifespan of Monels and D'Addario NBs, as well as how they look, but they might be missing a little warmth. The jury is still out in this courtroom, so we'll just have to see how things play out.
I think you are discovering how things can get a bit stale if you always play the same strings. There are always trade-offs with strings and you can get bored with one sound.

Before you ditch one string for another, try putting the ones you like in a rotation. You may decide to continue to use the Monels and NBs, but not continually.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:33 PM

I have one guitar, a 000-18 with very rich harmonic bloom that I will try Martin Retros on next string change; right now it has D’Addario Nickel Bronze which seems to add something extra to its tonal complexity - almost an added ‘thickness’ which the guitar doesn’t need any extra of. I’m hoping the Retros will reign it in more. Otherwise I find D’Addario 80/20s work just fine.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

I have moods... and I switch back and forth between PBs and nickel. That’s half the fun!
Old 03-25-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I think you are discovering how things can get a bit stale if you always play the same strings. There are always trade-offs with strings and you can get bored with one sound.

Before you ditch one string for another, try putting the ones you like in a rotation. You may decide to continue to use the Monels and NBs, but not continually.
That's a very valid point and since I've built up a supply of NBs and Monels it looks like the path I'm going down. Regardless, that new string sound can be so sweet. I think I'm going to work from home this morning and do a little playing

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 03-25-2019, 08:49 AM

Have you ever read Tommy Emannuels take on strings? He feels your guitar gets "used" to a certain string, and they begin to sound dull and lifeless. He says he changes brands and types to get the most lively sound. Maybe you'll circle back around to your Monelsat some point
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 03-25-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
Have you ever read Tommy Emannuels take on strings? He feels your guitar gets "used" to a certain string, and they begin to sound dull and lifeless. He says he changes brands and types to get the most lively sound. Maybe you'll circle back around to your Monelsat some point
I think he explains it starting around 2:45 mark
Old 03-25-2019, 10:18 AM
Guest 728

I have different preferences for different guitars (Martin Retros being favorites), but I always have a pack or two of Pearse Phosphor Bronze on hand, just to shake things up every now and then. They pretty much sound great on everything, and it's fun to breathe new life into a guitar I've grown used to. I'll enjoy a couple of months of those, and then let the Monels amaze me all over again. Replace, enjoy, repeat!
Old 03-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Strings are a personal thing, and they can vary by player or guitar. I know that Monels are well-liked around here, but I just can't play them. And I like NB fine, but prefer the warmth of a PB string. I always have a 10-pk of D'Add EJ16, but I've been playing GHS strings (PB or Americana lights), and I do like DR Rare on my Mahogany body guitars, as well. Keep mixing it up, once in a while!
Old 03-25-2019, 06:02 PM

I recently put some D'aD NB's on for 2 weeks. In hindsight that was about 13 days to long, but I wanted to be sure. Too wiry and metallic for me.

A lot of people dig them and it is great to have so many options.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion