The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM

Default Acoustic Guitar Magazine

Does anyone subscribe to AGM? How do you like it? I just started my subscription again after about 5 years. I used to really like it, hope its still good.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up AG mag

I have subscribed for 20 years or so. And played guitar for 40+. I love the magazine. You came at a good time. They recently did a big makeover, reformat etc. I love the new format (I travel a lot and do other things and could barely keep up with the monthly so I prefer the new model of fewer volumes but longer in length).

I used to enjoy Guitar Player as well but I could not keep up with all the materials (interview, lessons etc), so I went with just AG magazine. [also used to enjoy Rise Up Singing now and then till they went under].

I could go on but I'm sitting in a chilly cloud forest in No. Nicaragua where I do some bird and people work every year for a month or so, and it's late and time for bed! [I did pick up a very cool baritone ukelele in Masaya last year, all cocobolo........].

But I think you'll be very pleased. I certainly hope so b/c again I love that magazine.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 03-25-2019, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

The new larger bi-monthly format is a good step for them IMO. They just sent out the 2nd issue in this format and it’s packed with a lot of great articles.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-25-2019, 05:50 AM

I stopped reading it when the acreage of advertising began to exceed that of the articles. I should check out the redesign.
I prefer the British 'Acoustic' magazine.
https://www.musicradar.com/acousticmagazine
Old 03-25-2019, 06:24 AM

Ok, that's great! First issue should be coming any day now. And I hear ya birdsong, it's sometimes hard to keep up with everything in the magazine before the next issue comes along. Whenever I get a magazine, I read every article cover to cover and look at the ad's too. I actually like the ad's, that's how ya find out what's new out there. I had to dump my muscle car magazine, just couldn't keep up. Oh well....

Oh, and birdsong, the usual suspects are at the feeder regarding our spring birds in New England, but i'm waiting for the cow birds and junco's to tell me the snow is really gone!! Amen..
Old 03-25-2019, 06:35 AM

And-as a bonus- when you subscribe you can get a PDF version good for 3 downloads if you're away from postal delivery. I, too, like the new format.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:54 AM

Yeah, good features! Love it when they put great music and songs in there with chords and tab, I still play a Christmas song from Happy Traum that was in there years ago. He's awesome, and tough to play sometimes.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:29 AM

Nothing against AGM, but I've been an avid reader of The Fretboard Journal for several years. Quarterly publication, great writing and pictures. No "how to" pieces, just interviews with players and builders.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:33 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Nothing against AGM, but I've been an avid reader of The Fretboard Journal for several years. Quarterly publication, great writing and pictures. No "how to" pieces, just interviews with players and builders.
I get 'em both
Old 03-25-2019, 09:05 AM

Ive received it for years. When they said
they were cutting the issues by 1/2 .,I was
hesitant to re- up. But decided on one more year.
So the new one is not twice as long thats for sure.
Still lots of ads . And im not big on page after
page of tablature ill never learn, So the jury is
still out for me. This could be my last year.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Ive received it for years. When they said
they were cutting the issues by 1/2 .,I was
hesitant to re- up. But decided on one more year.
So the new one is not twice as long thats for sure.
Still lots of ads . And im not big on page after
page of tablature
ill never learn, So the jury is
still out for me. This could be my last year.
I was thinking about subscribing but the tablature thing is a turn-off for me. Do they have a lot of notation as well or is it mostly tablature?
Old 03-25-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I was thinking about subscribing but the tablature thing is a turn-off for me. Do they have a lot of notation as well or is it mostly tablature?
The songs are written on a double staff. Regular notation on the top staff with TAB notation below. For someone like me who hasn't learned where all the notes are on the fretboard, this is ideal.

I just subscribed to Acoustic Guitar Magazine recently, just in time to receive the newly revamped format version for my first issue. If this first one is representative of how they're going to be, then I will be a happy customer.

Historical feature, check. Cover story about Alan Lomax, the extremely important audio chronicler of American roots music.

Investigation of important artist's style, check. A look at the guitar style of Nick Drake, one of my favorite folk artists of the late 60s early 70s (who tragically died very young). Examines how he played in standard tuning as well as some of his alternate tunings. Covers songs from his main three records, Five Leaves Left, Bryter Layter, and Pink Moon. Talks about the style and provides standard music notation and TAB.

Songs to learn, check. Seven songs written out in standard and TAB, including Nick Drake's Pink Moon and Fleetwood Mac's Landslide for fingerpickers, Whiskey Before Breakfast for flatpickers, Home On The Range (awesome for beginners) for strummers, along with newer tunes like Mandolin Orange's Golden Embers, and a brand new song by Buck Curran called Song for Liam.

News You can use, check. An article about how to make quality home recordings, and an article about how to market your music.

Technique articles, check. One on applying chord theory to the fretboard, one on how to make and use harmonics, and one on guitarist Al Pettaway's take on The Choice Wife.

Artist Profile, check. An article on Eric Skye.

Gear reviews, check. Reviews of the new Taylor Grand Pacific models and the Collings C100, as well as reviews of a recording interface and a wireless mic system.

Record reviews, check. This ish reviews a Mandolin Orange record (Tides of a teardrop") and David Crosby's new one, "Here if You Listen." I would prefer a few more record reviews, and maybe a regular review of one classic acoustic guitar 'must-have' record.

Plus, a host of what appear to be regular features, like letters to the editor, "Ask the Expert" (this issue's question, "Can bridge pins change your sound?"), "Makers and Shakers" (this issue has a profile of Jim D'Addario), and, on the last page, "Great Acoustics" (this issue looks at a 1959 Guild M-20).

There are definitely ads in there, but the content-to-ads ratio is good, I think. I don't mind ads in magazines but some guitar magazines seem to consist of mostly ads, peppered with articles that often read like ads! Also, I am glad Acoustic Guitar Magazine only comes out every two months. Monthly would be too much for me.

Bear in mind this opinion is based on my having received ONE issue. I sure hope future issues are in the same neighborhood as this one regarding level of quality and variety. A few more record reviews and this magazine would be just about perfect for me.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I stopped reading it when the acreage of advertising began to exceed that of the articles. I should check out the redesign.
I prefer the British 'Acoustic' magazine.
https://www.musicradar.com/acousticmagazine
Hi AG

You do realize that advertising is what pays bills, salaries etc, not subscriptions, right?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-25-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax Player Guy View Post
The songs are written on a double staff. Regular notation on the top staff with TAB notation below.
Thanks for that.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I guess I kind of wonder at the complaints I see about AGM. So much nitpicking at times to me relative to what the magazine has to offer.

It’s one of the “last men standing” in terms of a printed regular publication dedicated to our specific interests. At $6-$7 an issue (less than a Subway sandwich with drink and chips) you get some entertainment and for most of us some educational material plus the online support and extras are really a bonus if you check them out. If the guitar community does not support it, it could be gone and possibly forever. That would be a mistake IMO. I hope everyone on the AGF will strongly consider supporting publications like AGM and Fretboard Journal.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion