The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I also like the thermoplastic cases. Light. And protective enough for most duty. My 000-28 came in one. I don’t use it because I have a good gig/travel case As well that allows me to keep the 640 pristine.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 PM

My used 2013 Martin 000-18 came with the Thermoplastic case. The criticism of it not having a lot of room inside for a strap, tuner, extra strings, etc. is a fair knock, the center pocket is very shallow - however if I'm playing out, I have another bag for all the extra needed stuff so any guitar case overflow goes in there. I never thought about the metal edge seal harming the guitar till someone mentioned it in an earlier post in this thread - I have always taken care in putting a guitar back in any case, that specific possible bad thing never crossed my mind (though now I have something else to worry about). I like the case, it protects well during transport and it does not weigh a lot, lack of weight is something I put a premium on lately.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:14 PM

I love my Martin plastic case that came with my OODB but I must confess I'm purchasing a Fusion Acoustic gig bag with plenty of storage etc
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 03-24-2019, 11:10 PM

My favourite molded style case so far is the Godin TRIC cases. They are light and fairly air tight. I've had a guitar stored for months in one and took it out and the tuning was spot on. They are padded well and really protect your guitar.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:21 AM

I'm not a fan of Martin's thermoplastic cases, or of any thermoplastic cases, frankly. In addition to the "case bite" problem with the metal rim scarring up the guitar, the biggest problem I have with them is that if the plastic cracks or if the hinges or other hardware tears out, they're basically unrepairable. While plywood cases like the Martin Geib-style cases and others do tend to be heavier, at least if there's a problem with those they can generally be repaired and refurbished. I've rejuvenated worn plywood cases on several occasions - I just take them to my friendly local show and luggage repair shop and have them fix whatever needs fixing. (Which costs far less than many of you might imagine.)

The weight of plywood cases seems to bother a lot of the folks who prefer thermoplastic cases, but it's never been a problem for me. So those of my guitars that I don't have fiberglass Calton cases for (which is the vast majority of them) have wooden cases. I sell or trade off thermoplastic cases as quickly as I can when they do drift into the house....

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-25-2019, 03:12 AM

My Taylor came with a wooden deluxe case and my HD28 came with the plastic case. The plastic case is much lighter and therefore I like it more.

In terms of protection - both are quite robust against accidental knocks and drops. I always knock the case when i walk up the stairs and both are quite resilient to knocks.

Since the wooden case is heavier, I have a feeling that the wooden case could be more robust. But I am also certain that none of the two can survive a big crash so I will go for the lighter one any day..
Old 03-25-2019, 01:38 PM

This will be my go to case from now on. I just sold my 5th Avenue and it had one of these cases. Very protective, very light and they don't get marked up easily.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/en/pro...ultifit-deluxe
Old 03-25-2019, 01:55 PM

My new OM-28 came with the new molded case, which is very tuff and light, and the top stays open when taking out and putting in the guitar, my previous Taylor case closed once and the latch hit the top of the guitar, grrr. Plus, they are made in USA. I do wish it had the metal "Martin" plate on the side like the non-molded. Instead they have the Martin lettering molded into the top. At least the case says Martin.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
My new OM-28 came with the new molded case, which is very tuff and light, and the top stays open when taking out and putting in the guitar, my previous Taylor case closed once and the latch hit the top of the guitar, grrr. Plus, they are made in USA. I do wish it had the metal "Martin" plate on the side like the non-molded. Instead they have the Martin lettering molded into the top. At least the case says Martin.
Some Martin guitar owners consider having the Martin name on the cases to be big "STEAL ME" signs. So not everyone is a fan of that....

whm
Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Some Martin guitar owners consider having the Martin name on the cases to be big "STEAL ME" signs. So not everyone is a fan of that....

whm
THAT is the only downside of the plastic cases IMHO!

I really wish Martin had managed to forgo that little advertising opportunity. The only person who needs to know what's inside the case is the owner . . .
Old 03-25-2019, 05:54 PM

I have a couple of the thermoplastic cases. I do have to be a little more careful, but not a huge deal.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:19 PM

Fortunately for me my Martin is either in my house or at church, never anywhere else. No theft problems.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
duplicate post
Old 03-26-2019, 06:14 AM

I sold my D-28 early last month and it was in perfect condition. The new owner texted me later the next day and said he already dinged the top with the "stupid case." That sums it up for me. If I was touring or trying to protect a guitar on the road, sure it is a great case, but for most of us home rockers, the molded cases are a hazard to us all...
Old 03-26-2019, 06:28 AM

Except if you use them for gigging,
you need a separate container for all of
Your extras.
I do not like them, (would not recommend them),
and have sold mine and bought others.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion