The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-24-2019, 09:41 PM

I had the original ditto looper, it was fine for practice, but wasn't keen on it for live use, it seems to play a short bit of what you recorded just before it deletes the loop.I now have the TC Play Acoustic. It really is a one stop shop pedal, covers everything i need for live use. I'm sure there's better stuff out there, but it really is great value. If you think you'll be performing in the near future, definately check it out. I found it very user friendly too. And they update the product from time to time too! All the best.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:16 AM

Many thanks Fred. I will take a look and make a note of your points.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 03-25-2019, 04:21 AM

Thanks very much for that. Yes i think this will be something to seriously consider for performing. I am thinking ahead now. Still a novice though. Still need to address all the issues around setting up!
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 03-25-2019, 01:13 PM

All I can say is that I've used a number of loopers, and if you get one with one switch, you'll very soon find yourself saying "wow -- I obviously need a second switch!" This is to stop the recording -- and then the second switch starts the looped part when you want to. Otherwise the looped part will start as soon as you stop recording the loop. That's why you see people above raving, as I do, about a two-switch looper (and I agree that the Ditto X2 is a great and very simple solution). So yes, the cost is a bit more, but a two-switch looper is IMMENSELY easier and more practical to use with precision, which is especially important in a performance situation. Do your homework, and good luck!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-26-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
All I can say is that I've used a number of loopers, and if you get one with one switch, you'll very soon find yourself saying "wow -- I obviously need a second switch!" This is to stop the recording -- and then the second switch starts the looped part when you want to. Otherwise the looped part will start as soon as you stop recording the loop. That's why you see people above raving, as I do, about a two-switch looper (and I agree that the Ditto X2 is a great and very simple solution). So yes, the cost is a bit more, but a two-switch looper is IMMENSELY easier and more practical to use with precision, which is especially important in a performance situation. Do your homework, and good luck!
Many thanks Sean. Appreciate your advice.
I will take another look at the Dittox2.
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 03-26-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny64 View Post
Many thanks Sean. Appreciate your advice.
I will take another look at the Dittox2.
I'm watching this thread for the same reason as you Bunny. I am leaning toward the Boss RC-1 for the simplicity of it and I like the lighted dial. As mentioned here, it is a single switch and requires a double tap to stop.

This is a dated 2010 video for a Boss RC-2, they now make an RC-3. But around the 1:00 minute mark he explains the extra switch he is using. I already have one of these switches so that is why I may go with the RC-1 for around $99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69rSnHFgyfg

Have you found any good info on the Dittox2?
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 03-26-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
I'm watching this thread for the same reason as you Bunny. I am leaning toward the Boss RC-1 for the simplicity of it and I like the lighted dial. As mentioned here, it is a single switch and requires a double tap to stop.

This is a dated 2010 video for a Boss RC-2, they now make an RC-3. But around the 1:00 minute mark he explains the extra switch he is using. I already have one of these switches so that is why I may go with the RC-1 for around $99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69rSnHFgyfg

Have you found any good info on the Dittox2?
There's stuff on YT about the Ditto x 2. I had discounted it but have now brought it back into the reckoning. I am thinking the two switch option is the way to go. It appears to be a dedicated guitarist pedal and does seem simpler to use than some of the others which appeals to a novice like me. You can also store loops make some backing tracks and it has some simple effects. I just don't like the design of the Boss pedals, just a personal thing. That said i have a bid on a Digitech Jamman Stereo looper in excellent condition so I will see how that goes. If i don't win that I think it will be between the Ditto x 2 and the Digitech Jamman Solo. These two pedals offer me an easier intro into looping and effects at a good price point. The Play acoustic sound amazing but probably more than i need currently for my little gig.
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 03-26-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
A second stop switch is absolutely necessary. I found it easy to make a home brew for my RC-1. As far as what a looper does when the switch is used to stop looping, the RC-1, and some of the other loopers, can be simply switched to alternatively go to stop made rather than looped play mode. Read the pdf manual before passing judgement on a looper as not meeting your needs.

I would NEVER purchase a single button looper and I was fully aware that I would need to add the auxiliary button(s) before I purchased my RC-1.

If you have a bit of handiness it costs about $10 to make a single button or $15 for a two button to give you the undo / redo function. When using a looper like the RC-1 the second button is very nice to have, as it gives you the option of deleting a bad pass, or simply turning whatever was last looped off or on.

I decided to purchase the RC-1 for it's full 12 minutes of High quality stereo looping with unlimited overdubs.

Do also purchase a power supply such as the One Spot ($20) if you're going to consider purchasing an RC-1.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-26-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 PM

Cool Loopers

Quote:
Hi there
My gigging experience is completely Church based. I accompany the songs at Messy Church
with my guitar. I am not a religious person but my neighbour is and asked me to fulfil this
roll. I basically
play through my Marshall amp and the Church PA system and for strumming along to songs
its fine.

żDo you sing too ?

There are loopers that address this by offering both a microphone input as well as a guitar .
There are loopers that take the chord your playing and create one , or more harmony voices
down to the point of you being able to choose the gender of your harmony voices .
These are a few , some are starting at around $150.00 and then it climbs in cost depending on
how sophisticated you want to get .
  • TC Helicon Play Acoustic.
  • Electro-Harmonix Voice Box Harmony Machine.
  • Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer.
  • TC-Helicon Harmony Singer.
  • TC Helicon VoiceTone Harmony-G XT.
  • Boss VE-2.
  • DigiTech VLHM.
  • TC Helicon Voicelive 3 Extreme <====<<<- I own one

Look long and hard to find what is best for you , youtube has videos on each one I just
mention , you appear to be more than ready to get into looping , it beside being fun , is
also one great learning tool/device to improve your playing . timing etcetera .

Once you can proficiently use a looper you are on your way as a soloist and that is a cool
additional thing to be as a musician .

When you can proficiently play with one , you will have no problems using it live with or with
out other musicians/singers . It will enhance any performance period once you have it down
and know how to get the most/best out of looping ..

Start with a simple T.C.Helicon Ditto and go from there .

Ed Sheeran had a BOSS RC30
@ around $300.00

Ditto :

One track you can layer more tracks on top of the first
loop but no vocal @ around $100.00

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 03-27-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
A second stop switch is absolutely necessary. I found it easy to make a home brew for my RC-1. As far as what a looper does when the switch is used to stop looping, the RC-1, and some of the other loopers, can be simply switched to alternatively go to stop made rather than looped play mode. Read the pdf manual before passing judgement on a looper as not meeting your needs.

I would NEVER purchase a single button looper and I was fully aware that I would need to add the auxiliary button(s) before I purchased my RC-1.

If you have a bit of handiness it costs about $10 to make a single button or $15 for a two button to give you the undo / redo function. When using a looper like the RC-1 the second button is very nice to have, as it gives you the option of deleting a bad pass, or simply turning whatever was last looped off or on.
I decided to purchase the RC-1 for it's full 12 minutes of High quality stereo looping with unlimited overdubs.

Do also purchase a power supply such as the One Spot ($20) if you're going to consider purchasing an RC-1.
Thanks Rudy for your very considered points and sound advice.
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 03-27-2019, 10:53 AM

Thanks Ramon
Yes i do sing. That's probably my best instrument. Totally agree with starting simply and then including more sophisticated pedals with voice/effects options. What do you think of the Digitech Jamman Stereo?
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 03-27-2019, 12:37 PM

Thumbs up Jamman Looper

Quote:
Thanks Ramon

Yes i do sing. That's probably my best instrument. Totally agree with starting simply and then including
more sophisticated pedals with voice/effects options. What do you think of the Digitech Jamman Stereo?

It was one of my considerations , it is one of the better one's that you can really expand on your
performance with the features it has like reverse playback ( some think it's a gimmick )

- I call it versatility -

It's slow down feature speaks for itself to help you start slow on a given song/passage ( aux input takes MP3's etcetera ) .
Its packed with editing features :
  • USB lets you connect to the JamManager Loop Librarian software to organize and archive your loops .
Those above mentioned feature were why I was going to get it , it's stereo was the biggie
that made it interesting because I have a stereo FRFR P.A.

Then I saw the T.C. Helicon VoiceLive 3 Extreme - - -

I've been looping a while , I had a Digitech GNX4 :

Can't really explain in a few words the pro's & con's quickly , sufice to say it was awesome and someone stole it .

So after having that unit I was hard pressed to find one like it . Even the T.C.H.VL3X as good
as it is doesn't have all that the GNX4 had , however , adding a BeatBuddy rounded it off as a
complete unit comparable to the over all features of the GNX4 . There only used units to
be had and they are on Ebay & Reverb @ around $250.00 depending on the condition they are in .

You on the right track , you just might be quite happy with the Jamman and stop there ,
I see why a person would do just that .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 03-27-2019, 03:23 PM

Thanks Ramon. Its looking like I will win the Jamman which is at a really good price compared to new. I like the options it offers on top of the looping and also the mic input. I take it the instructions are straight forward. Will need to buy suitable leads now so hoping this is all explained. So for my gig I will be now adding the pedal at some point to the amp and then onto the PA system.
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 03-27-2019, 07:40 PM

Plus one on the BOSS RC-1. I love mine, and have found it to be an invaluable practice and writing tool. As others have mentioned, the addition of a second (smaller) footswitch makes it all the easier to use. Twelve minutes of stereo redording is respectable, and it sounds great.

The LED metering on it makes seeing where you are, in the loop. a whole lot easier, too.

I'm actually tempted to pick up a second looper, to keep at the beginning of the chain (My RC-1 is at the end), when testing out pedals (which I do a lot), hands-free (no need to keep playing the guitar - just let a phrase run repeatedly, and make knob adjustments).

Last edited by david57strat; 03-27-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:24 AM

Haven't seen a black RC-1 before....and like the led feedback you mention, I haven't seen that on other brands for this price point.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification