The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-17-2019, 04:06 PM

Default Copper Harbor. Michigan UP

Old 03-17-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
No snow on any coastal part of mainland Australia Dru - Tasmania would be the exception.
I would need to drive to the Australian Alpine Region - probably about 5 hours or so from Eden.
It's a shame you have to live in such a place without snow and ice storms .
Old 03-17-2019, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
Not a traffic light in sight. I could be very happy there.
Not a stop light in the county, wasted on a bunch of folks that are never in a hurry

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 PM

Here's one I been going to since I was a wee tadpole:

http://chagrin-falls.org

Another great little town I've been to a few times:

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/rhyolite.html
Old 03-17-2019, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Dru - as I remember it, there is a sign by the docks in Lunenberg that mentions how many of the founders came from my neck of the woods in Connecticut. They were loyalists to the king (during our revolution)and were driven away from their farms in the towns of Burlington, Thomaston and Plymouth, Connecticut. For many months, they stayed in an area known as ‘Tory’s Den’ before they made the move north.

It really brought home the tragedy of this war, as neighbor was pitted against neighbor (That’s a subject that’s often a very small sidebar in our history books). Fortunately, the refugees found a really nice spot in NS! Looks like they did pretty well for themselves, too.
Very interesting to me, Rick. My dad's family immigrated here in the mid 1800's, stopped in New Haven and then settled in Burlington where one of my brothers still lives.

And I didn't know that the Torys went to Nova Scotia (but I've hiked to the Tory's Den several times.)

Thanks!

Last edited by reeve21; 03-18-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

I'm blessed to love (and live in) this little town !

https://www.visitashlandohio.com/
Old 03-18-2019, 07:45 AM

I see small towns as parts of the scenery encountered while going somewhere else. For example, I like driving through Berkeley Springs, WV but have never felt the desire to stop.

OTOH, I do like other little "quaint" but crowded towns like Niagara on the Lake or South Lake Tahoe. I'm more attracted to what lies around these towns though, be it vineyards, walking trails or resorts of some kind. The towns themselves simply offer a quiet place to sleep comfortably - especially if the accommodations include hot springs or a spa.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

In Colorado the next step up from the triple digit population town that I really like is Salida. Great town, wonderful access to mountain and river recreation, and a thriving artist community.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-18-2019, 10:52 AM

I second the votes for Bar Harbor, Maine and Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Other small towns I can recommend:

Grafton, IL: Across the river from St. Louis. Woodsy, hilly, large eagle population, great ziplining course. Located at the confluence of the Illinois and Missouri rivers.

Stowe, VT: Mountains, covered bridges, forested areas, Ben and Jerry's factory, Trapp Family Lodge.

Lake Geneva WI: Interesting shops and recreational opportunities, beautiful Lake Geneva (or Geneva Lake) itself.

"May you stay forever young."-Dylan
Old 03-18-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Grand Marais, Minnesota - north shore of Lake Superior, last town of any appreciable size before you get to Canada up Highway 61 (yes, that one).

We love this place. We've vacationed up here every year for a couple of decades, and this year will be no exception.
Stop in for breakfast at the South of the Bordrr Cafe sometime (hint, it is not tex-mex).

They have fabulous food.
Also, down in Two Harbors for a real greasy spoon trucker breakfast go to Judy's Cafe on 61.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Ouray Colorado is a cool little place - not too far from Telluride as the crow flies. Stayed there a couple times when hiking up Mt Sneffels.
I lived in Telluride for a few years in the early 80s and spent plenty of time in Ouray (and Silverton and Durango). Beautiful area. Back then, I'd have said Telluride was the nicest of the bunch, but with the expansion of the ski area and the whole Mountain Village development up on the mountain (and the resulting expansion of the town itself), I'd guess it's not anymore. I haven't been back since 2004, but even then it was vastly different than when I lived there. So I'd go for Euray now probably...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Strasburg and Lititz, both in Lancaster County PA - looking to relocate there in the not-too-distant future...
Ltitz is nice, but really small. We live the next county over, in West Chester, a town of about 20,000. We've been here for about 27 years now and love the place. Its a county seat and there's a University here, so there's plenty going on, we're an easy train ride to Philly, within 2-3 hours of NYC and DC, but an easy bike ride out into beautiful farm land (within reach of Lititz too, if you're seriously in shape!). I hope to live the rest of my life here...

sunny snow-37-Edit-Edit by Ray, on Flickr

Early Races - Df-388-Edit by Ray, on Flickr
West Chester Snow by Ray, on Flickr

Last edited by raysachs; 03-18-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:08 PM

Stonington, Maine. Lovely little fishing village on Deer Isle. Dan Fogelberg's old hangout.

Seeker - Grafton IL sits at the confluence of the Illinois and Mississippi rivers, but you are correct it's a cool little place.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:17 PM

Lots of great small and medium sized towns in our lovely state of North Carolina - mountains, beaches, sandhills - whatever you want just a drive away. Here are a couple of our favorites:

http://www.cashiersnorthcarolina.org

http://www.exploreboone.com

https://www.bannerelk.com/photo-gallery/

https://www.beaufort-nc.com

Last edited by spock; 03-18-2019 at 08:23 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-18-2019, 08:18 PM

Wallace Idaho

Old 03-18-2019, 09:01 PM

I love my small little town. I’m on a golf course as you can see. The High school is right there to walk to the games on Friday nights. Ball diamonds, a community playground, you can see my ....well not mine...tennis courts...now there are 6. I’m on them all summer. We have a quaint little downtown just past the school. Shops and restaurants.

A wonderful Labor Day parade and festivities and the town center is blocked for 2 days at Christmas time for the tree lighting, all the shops are open, Santa on every corner, free pizza, a Santa parade, winter festival. It is wonderful. A neat community pool...and the Dairy Queen is right next to it.

IMG_0097.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic