The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 PM

Default Schatten HFN Bandwagon?

I'm thinking about hopping on the HFN bandwagon again. I used their active pickup a few years ago and moved onto passive K&K systems.

I am approaching things a little differently this time. Let me know what you all think. I am considering this for my 6 string Martin HD-28A. I'm thinking I would benefit from one guitar with an active pickup system for live performance.

I would like to pair the HFN with the new Matrix Infinity VT preamp. I already have the Fishman system and decided against using the under saddle Matrix in this guitar. It sounds very good and I don't want to change the sound.

The reason I like the Matrix Inifinity preamp is that it includes a mid scoop tone control. I find this to be way more useful than traditional treble pot controls. Also, the new preamp includes a bass boost or flat voicing, which could be useful.

I can't recall if anyone has tried this yet. If so, what were the results? I'll report back in a few days when I have some results to share.

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-15-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Schatten HFN Bandwagon?

I’m definitely curious. Should I ever give into my gas for an Emerald it would be my pickup of choice. They sound good on YT and have a great reputation here.

Last edited by steelvibe; 03-15-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:48 PM

I'm running the passive version in one guitar but plan on setting another up with the basic active version with no controls. No need for mid-scoop with the HFN.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I'm thinking about hopping on the HFN bandwagon again. I used their active pickup a few years ago and moved onto passive K&K systems.

I am approaching things a little differently this time. Let me know what you all think. I am considering this for my 6 string Martin HD-28A. I'm thinking I would benefit from one guitar with an active pickup system for live performance.

I would like to pair the HFN with the new Matrix Infinity VT preamp. I already have the Fishman system and decided against using the under saddle Matrix in this guitar. It sounds very good and I don't want to change the sound.

The reason I like the Matrix Inifinity preamp is that it includes a mid scoop tone control. I find this to be way more useful than traditional treble pot controls. Also, the new preamp includes a bass boost or flat voicing, which could be useful.

I can't recall if anyone has tried this yet. If so, what were the results? I'll report back in a few days when I have some results to share.
If you followed some of my posts you know already that I discovered this pickup a couple of months ago and absolutely love it. I also tested it on a Fishman Ellipse Aura preamp that is designed to be used with the Matrix UST and it worked wonderfully. You should have no issues using it with your preamp.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Im definitely curious. Should i ger around to purchase an Emerald i will put my own HFN in. They sound great on YT and have a great rapport here.
I ordered my X20 with no pickup. When it gets here (should be soon) I will be doing something very unique for it. I love having a passive pickup but want one of my guitars to have an active system in it and I decided that it will be the X20. I will be using the Schatten HFN Artist version which has a very cool preamp that can be powered by phantom power (my choice) or a 9v battery. It also allows you to add a 2nd pickup and I will be mating the Schatten HFN with the Barbera Soloist pickup that I currently have already. That pickup combo should cover all gigging scenarios.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
I'm running the passive version in one guitar but plan on setting another up with the basic active version with no controls. No need for mid-scoop with the HFN.
Interesting. I ordered it passive. I'll plan to try it without a preamp first.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:41 AM

Yeah, I am on the HFN bandwagon now. Bought a passive and installed it yesterday. Why? Well:
  • My new 000 needed a pick up
  • By all accounts, it is hard to beat
  • The HFN is relatively cheap
  • It is very easy to install, takes up no space and weighs nothing
  • Bass/treble can be somewhat sculpted with placement and adhesive choice
  • It is made in my home province so I am supporting local-ish

I am re-stringing the 000 today with new Martin Authentic Lifespan 2.0 (which, by the way, my local Martin dealer convinced me to switch to from Elixirs....). Should be an interesting next few days with this new pickup and strings... Looking forward to it.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Yeah, I am on the HFN bandwagon now. Bought a passive and installed it yesterday. Why? Well:

I am re-stringing the 000 today with new Martin Authentic Lifespan 2.0 (which, by the way, my local Martin dealer convinced me to switch to from Elixirs....). Should be an interesting next few days with this new pickup and strings... Looking forward to it.
Congratulations and welcome to the club. I never tried those Martin Lifespan strings yet but it has been in the back of my head to give them a go. So far it seems no matter what string I try I always end up back to elixirs.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Are you sure bass can be adjusted depending on placement? I haven’t tried it.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
If you subscribe to the Doug Young School of SBT pickups, then yes, bass and treble can both be adjusted when an SBT is moved incrementally. Doug's theory is that all SBT pickups could be adjusted if they were permanently installed. So a K&K could sound different if it didn't need superglue. The HFN is appealing because of the putty or tape options, both non permanent and both potentially giving different tone.

On the other hand, the endless wondering could drive a person batty.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 03-16-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
As Steve says,it can (at least should) make a difference. I will soon find out as my HFN sounds, well, underwhelming. The trebles are too present for me and the bass way under what I was hoping for. I like what I like and I like a lush, fat bass (granted, this guitar is a 000 so bass will be less bass-y but still...).

Anyway, I used the tape option and will move it bass-side tomorrow. BTW, I slapped on a Seymour Duncan soundhole magnetic pickup on the 000 just to see and I have to say it’s got that bass sound I was hoping for with the HFN. Still a work in progress, though.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
As Steve says,it can (at least should) make a difference. I will soon find out as my HFN sounds, well, underwhelming. The trebles are too present for me and the bass way under what I was hoping for. I like what I like and I like a lush, fat bass (granted, this guitar is a 000 so bass will be less bass-y but still...).

Anyway, I used the tape option and will move it bass-side tomorrow. BTW, I slapped on a Seymour Duncan soundhole magnetic pickup on the 000 just to see and I have to say it’s got that bass sound I was hoping for with the HFN. Still a work in progress, though.
You should use the putty. I posted in several different threads now about tape vs putty installs that I've done and while I never really had a major issue with the tape install, it did lack some bass. Using the putty made it sound more true to the guitar, at least for me, with all the bass there.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

I'm not disputing the results of some HFN installers but tape on the outer feet and putty on the middle? Yikes! Any tool-makers or machinists out there with HFNs, or anyone who knows how to use a file or sandpaper? A little bench work could likely make your HFN perform to its max, and it would take less than an hour to do. I've already mentioned in another HFN thread how to do this, so, I won't do it again because, frankly, no one will do it, even though it's based on what Les Schatten describes to do, and anyone can do it. Please excuse my terrible attitude. Thanks.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-16-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Just installed the HFN passive on my new Martin 000-17sm today. I have it plugged into my Fishman Loudbox Mini and out into my Bose S1 from there. The combo of those two amps makes the pickup sound amazing. The Fishman by itself lacks something and the S1 does not have the power for the HFN passive. The Fishman does have the power for the HFN but not good enough lows.
The install was easy but the tape is not quite as sticky as I had hoped. The tone across all string is balanced and there is no dominant tone from the highs, mids or lows. Great little pickup so far.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
...A little bench work could likely make your HFN perform to its max, ... based on what Les Schatten describes to do....
Hey. I'll try that.. I just was not aware of either so if you can point to yours or Les' procedure, I got my files and sandpaper at the ready. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification